Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Fifth wheel to Gooseneck

Anyone tow with a gooseneck adapter? I was just wondering if the ride is better or just convenient to have your bed clear of a bulky hitch...

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
There have been numerous discussions here on iRV2 about the problems inherent in gooseneck adapters. 5th wheel trailer frames are NOT designed to handle the much higher torque loadings imposed by the lever arm of the gooseneck adapter, and most 5th wheel manufacturers will void the warranty if one is used. Try a search on "gooseneck adapter" and be prepared for hours of reading.

If you want a clean bed when not towing, there are much better alternatives than the gooseneck adapter.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Oops, sorry bout that. I will do some searching. Close this thread as necessary
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Seems like spreading the load across an 8" diameter flat surface of a fifth wheel is preferable to concentrating it on the top of a steel ball. Plus the leverage stress on the pin box everyone talks about. Besides, it's so much easier to just back under the pin, secure the latch lever and you're locked and loaded.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Actually the above statements are not true, google Reese Goose Box, and you will find what you need, and it is Lippert approved. And you can use a flip over ball to have an empty bed.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With Lipperts history on frames, I doubt it they have an engineer on staff that could evaluate the Goose Box. It looks like another solution that should not be on the market..

Ken
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayghost03 View Post
Actually the above statements are not true.....
Oh, really? Tell ya what - contact your 5th wheel manufacturer (NOT your RV or accessory dealer) and ask them if they approve of and will warrant the structural integrity of their RV for the use of a gooseneck adapter.

Rusty
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle
Anyone tow with a gooseneck adapter? I was just wondering if the ride is better or just convenient to have your bed clear of a bulky hitch...
Have not towed with a goose neck adapter, so do not know if I would due to the fact that you are changing the angle at which the force is applied to the connection point. As noted though Reese along with Lipper, has a solution, according to Reese which is part of Cequent.
If you plan on going back to someone if it causes a failure you would run into issues, just like the Gulf of Mexico, everyone will be pointing a finger at the next guy. As Rusty stated if you want someone to stand behind it talk to the manufacturer.
As to it "flat out wont work", it has been engineered to work.
Keep in mind there has been engineering that has not stood the test of time or variables that were not accounted for. Navistar (formerly International) 6.4L, Toyota pickup frames, Caterpillar C15 engines and a boat load of others have had recalls.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

No warranty or failure issues. I never towed with a gooseneck... At some point I wanted to upgrade truck and fifthwheel so the hitch process starts all over again and I definately would like the B&W turnoverball, however, I don't think they have the fifthwheel hitch to support a New Horizons 5er. I will most likely go with the reese option that Ford offers with the 30k fifthwheel hitch.

I read through some of the other threads which make a lot of sense. A custom company like NH could mostlikely make all necessary frame adjustments and install a gooseneck head for that matter but one post inparticular was a big help. One guy said that it became too tough to crawl in the bed to hook the chains up sometimes its the little things...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #10

I spoke to a gentleman that had asked about a 5er and had leg problems, I mentioned to him that ease of use is why some full timers have the flat beds with the tool box sides as the hitch is out in the open not down in the bed, or a A where you park and flip a switch.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke
I spoke to a gentleman that had asked about a 5er and had leg problems, I mentioned to him that ease of use is why some full timers have the flat beds with the tool box sides as the hitch is out in the open not down in the bed, or a A where you park and flip a switch.
I failed to mention, a flatbed conversion would be my personal #1 option... (Its just harder to sell that to the wife.)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but some of the towing beds are quite attractive (IMHO, at least) Here is an example of the B&W Elite series bed:

If you'll note on the homepage I've linked to above, an option with the Elite series bed is the flatbed version of the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch - this hitch is higher rated than the 18K rating of the Companion that I've used for 10+ years in my pickup beds.

Rusty
Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

Ah yes, but if I stated I would like one of those beauties parked in the yard, DW would probably park a lawn chair on my wind pipe....
:(
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
I towed with the adapter on my previous 5th wheel trailer. No issues. It went with the trailer when we sold it as we got out of pulling a trailer for a couple of years. My trailer manufacturer gave a thumbs up for the adapter.
Some 5er manufactures will say no some will say ok. The GN adapter was a option on some of the higher line of trailers. Don't know if it still is or not with several manufacturers going out of business.

If you notice on your search and your OP the nay sayers have never used one which is typical of many subjects on this forum.

Make the call .

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote