Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #29

Man, that's doing it right...but I would not have wanted to foot the bill.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Putting 97# of air in a tire that is labeled for 80# max is not a good idea.

The LT that I am running on the Everest calls for the max pressure of 80# for a max load of 3042#, which will support my two 6000# axles. If I were to be running the 614 tires and only needed to support my two 6000# axles then, according the load chart the tires would only need 80#, not 110#, to carry the load. Inflating the 614's to the 110# maximum is for a load of 15000#, which is 3000# more than is needed for 2 6000# axles. So why would I need to inflate the 614's to 110# when they only need 80# to do the job?
Did you actually read what I said. It's not fiction, it's fact. It comes from industry standards that follow the DOT regulations and is the correct procedure (s).

The vehicle manufacturer sets the minimum standard for tire selection for your trailer and must, by DOT regulations, certify that selection with a placard informing the owner of the correct tire size and recommended tire pressure for his individual trailer. Itís then up to the owner to maintain that safety margin.

Some owners unfamiliar with the ST tires will mistakenly replace them with LT tires of the same or similar size thinking the load capacity of the LRE is the same for both tires. Other owners know full well what they are doing when they give up nearly 400# of load capacity per tire and thumb their nose at safety.

There are other options that wont compromise safety.

FastEagle

On edit: 2008 Everest specs; http://www.keystone-everest.com/inde...pecs&year=2008

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Some owners unfamiliar with the ST tires will mistakenly replace them with LT tires of the same or similar size thinking the load capacity of the LRE is the same for both tires. Other owners know full well what they are doing when they give up nearly 400# of load capacity per tire and thumb their nose at safety.

There are other options that wont compromise safety.

FastEagle
But the problem with the ST tires is the rating is total fiction.They will not carry that weight for long. At least with the LT tires I have tires that are proven to carry their rated load. A rated load that in my case equals the GAWR of my trailer. If that is thumbing my nose at safety, oh well.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycocamprs View Post
But the problem with the ST tires is the rating is total fiction.They will not carry that weight for long. At least with the LT tires I have tires that are proven to carry their rated load. A rated load that in my case equals the GAWR of my trailer. If that is thumbing my nose at safety, oh well.
My thoughts exactly. The ST's that came on my rig have the worst reputation imagineable. Many cases of blowouts in the 1st months. I am comfortable with my choice of the XPS Ribs and their impeccable reputation as a commercial LT. They are rated for 3042 @106 mph max (R+). I'll stick to 65 mph max, so there should be plenty of safety margin.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #33

Some of the rating differences come for designed use. ST tires are not designed for any vehicle that carries passengers, and thus are rated at true weight carrying maximum. LT tires are designed for carrying passengers and have a safety margin built-into the carrying capacity.
That said, I switched to Power King 235/85R16, load range G tires and run them at 95 psi (they wear evenly), which is more than adequate to meet the load/inflation chart. I initially ran Sailun LR-G commercial tires, but they didn't have any available. The Power King LR-G tires are $208 ea; and, they are available throughout North America ( Big O tire and affiliated stores), unlike Sailun S637 tires which are mainly sold in Canada with few outlets in the lower 48. Time will tell if Power King stand up as well as my Sailun LR-G tires. If not, back to Sailun tires for me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #34

Ray, where is the Power King manufactured? USA, China, ??
Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Ray, where is the Power King manufactured? USA, China, ??
Both Power King (division ofMulti-Mile), and Sailun are made in China. The Goodyear G614 is made in the U.S.A.
FWIW, all these tires may be found on that link for Goodyear G614's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #36

We are running the Sailun S637 G's on our 5th Wheel, had them about a year, no problems so far.
Sailun makes a good, soild constructed tire, used by many Semi Trucks.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Brett B--
If you decide to change to 17.5" wheels/tires, give Scott a call at

www.trailertiresandwheels.com

and discuss your situation. He might have a better solution, and ships tires/wheels everywhere.

Joe
Thank you for that link. After speaking with Scott, bought a package of H rated 17.5s mounted and ready to bolt on. Had to do a lot of reading to find that nugget.

Not yet retired and traveling long distance, so when parked will be on the old set, tow with the new.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #38

As I read about tires the ST 'E' rated tires are not very good. How about 'G', 'H' and 'J' rated ST tires.

At what point can I stop worrying about a blowout due to tire construction failure.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
As I read about tires the ST 'E' rated tires are not very good. How about 'G', 'H' and 'J' rated ST tires.

At what point can I stop worrying about a blowout due to tire construction failure.
Most LR G tires are not ST's and are LT's. My Freestar' LT's LR G are 5 years old with 30k miles and still look like new. They are China made. My replacements will be Sailun's. My axles are 7k and no way I will have less then 110 PSI in my tires.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #40

So I understand.

There are no ST tires in load range 'G' 'H' or 'J'. That once you get above ST load range 'E' the tires are LT with load ranges of 'G', 'H' and 'J'.

So if I am looking at a trailer that already has 17.5 wheels with 'H' rated tires I will not have to change those tires to LT tires. That they will already be LT tires.

If so...cool. I think I got it.

If not, ugh - I am still a little confused.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, the 17.5" load range J Michelin XTAs I have are neither ST nor LT tires insofar as the size designation is concerned. Although they are trailer only tires, the size designation is just 215/75R-17.5 with a load rating of 4,805 lbs @ 120 PSIG - there's no ST or LT prefix on the size designation.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
So I understand.

There are no ST tires in load range 'G' 'H' or 'J'. That once you get above ST load range 'E' the tires are LT with load ranges of 'G', 'H' and 'J'.

So if I am looking at a trailer that already has 17.5 wheels with 'H' rated tires I will not have to change those tires to LT tires. That they will already be LT tires.

If so...cool. I think I got it.

If not, ugh - I am still a little confused.
A number of trailer tire manufacturers do build a ST235/85R16F tire rated at 3960# at 95 psi.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires