Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
My thoughts exactly. The ST's that came on my rig have the worst reputation imagineable. Many cases of blowouts in the 1st months. I am comfortable with my choice of the XPS Ribs and their impeccable reputation as a commercial LT. They are rated for 3042 @106 mph max (R+). I'll stick to 65 mph max, so there should be plenty of safety margin.
I normally post this information when it has not been discussed. It often infuriates some readers but that’s not my intent. It’s information needed to make sound safety decisions with replacement tires.

Michelin considers replacing ST tires with LT tires a misapplication, especially when the replacements do not equal or exceed the load capacity of the OE tires. Michelin will not warranty their tires when used in a misapplication fitment.

You will find supporting statements to those statements in the reference provided below.

Carefully read the “what is not covered” section of the warranty.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/Owners%20Manual_Post_Promise_Plan.pdf

The only RV trailer manufacturers I know of that use Michelin tires as OEM are Airstream & DRV.

Michelin does not market any of their tires for RV trailer service. The tires being fitted at DRV were already low platform commercial trailer tires on the European market.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, but many heavy 5th wheels already come with LT tires, not ST. An example are the Goodyear Wrangler HT tires fitted to my previous Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 5th wheel. These were LT235/85R-16E tires rated 3042 lbs at 80 PSIG and are a fabric-and-steel construction tire. The Michelin XPS Rib in the LT235/85R-16E size is ALSO rated 3042 lbs at 80 PSIG and was specifically recommended by Michelin for this application as it is widely used as an all-position tire, especially in oilfield hot-shot rig applications as a truck and gooseneck trailer tire due to its all-steel construction. I verified this recommendation regarding use of the XPS Rib as a trailer tire as late as 2010. See the following:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions. It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable. In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

Only drawback (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire.

Highly recommended for your application!

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Mike T.
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
There it is, straight from the horse's mouth.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #45

The Michelin tire clicky FastEagle posted says nothing about replacing ST tires with LT tires. In fact Michelins says this in a email about replacing St tire with LT tires.;

Posted: 12/14/12 12:14am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
I sent an email to Michelin for a response regarding using Michelin XPS ribs on my 5th wheel. Here is the question and their response:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at www.michelin.com/warranty/. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minut
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Yes, but many heavy 5th wheels already come with LT tires, not ST. An example are the Goodyear Wrangler HT tires fitted to my previous Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 5th wheel. These were LT235/85R-16E tires rated 3042 lbs at 80 PSIG and are a fabric-and-steel construction tire. The Michelin XPS Rib in the LT235/85R-16E size is ALSO rated 3042 lbs at 80 PSIG and was specifically recommended by Michelin for this application as it is widely used as an all-position tire, especially in oilfield hot-shot rig applications as a truck and gooseneck trailer tire due to its all-steel construction. I verified this recommendation regarding use of the XPS Rib as a trailer tire as late as 2010. See the following:

There it is, straight from the horse's mouth.

Rusty
This post that I’m answering is a prime example of how information gets twisted.

Tire manufacturers do not select tire fitments for vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers do. Therefore, when the RV trailer manufacturer selects specific tires and puts that information on the trailer’s certification label those tires become - by size and air pressure - the standard for that trailer. NHTSA says to use replacement tires with the same size and/or load capacity. Brand names are not used in that context. So Michelin is perfectly correct in recommending the LT235/85R16E tire to replace a like item. On the other hand, they will not recommend replacing ST235/80R16E tires that are depicted on a trailer’s certification label with any of their LT235/85R16E tires. They consider that to be misapplication.

FastEagle
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hold it!! I'm not twisting anything. Did you read the first sentence of my post??

Quote:
Yes, but many heavy 5th wheels already come with LT tires, not ST.
That premise is specifically what I addressed - replacing LT tires with LT tires. Please don't try to make it say anything else or read your agenda into it.

Rusty
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Hold it!! I'm not twisting anything. Did you read the first sentence of my post??

That premise is specifically what I addressed - replacing LT tires with LT tires. Please don't try to make it say anything else or read your agenda into it.

Rusty
And I agreed with you.

Michelin XPS Rib tires are not marketed or touted by Michelin as trailer tires or recommended for trailer axle service.
Tires of all designs and certified by the DOT as fit for highway service can be used on RV trailer axles. That selection is up to the vehicle manufacturer.

Replacement tires need to meet the needs of the position they are to be used in.

Just because I read and print things about Michelin tires does not make me a Michelin tire basher. I live 10 miles from Michelin of North America and am well aware of their agenda.

FastEagle
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #49

FastEagle says;
Quote:
Michelin XPS Rib tires are not marketed or touted by Michelin as trailer tires or recommended for trailer axle service.
Good grief........... More mis information.
Michelin says this;

ichelin® XPS Rib® tires are the best value per mile in the Michelin commercial tire lineup and an ideal choice for commercial trailers because of low rolling resistance (for better fuel economy), a long-wear tread design and retreadability. These tires also have the strength of a reinforced all-steel construction for lasting durability.
Responsive handling helps you negotiate through tough traffic
Greater durability and puncture
resistance from a third steel belt.
Easily retreadable all-steel casing
Lowest cost per mile in this category
Resists sidewall damage with the sculptured sidewall protector.
Sidewall: black serrated
outline lettering.
Load Range: E
Service Description: 120/11'

a 1-800 to Michelin truck tire customer service will, and has many times, verify the XPS ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service and RV use and have done so for many years.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Quote:
Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions. It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable. In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

Only drawback (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire.

Highly recommended for your application!
Quote:
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
Not recommended for trailer axle service? Doesn't appear to be the case if one asks Michelin, does it?

Rusty
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Tire manufacturers do not select tire fitments for vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers do. Therefore, when the RV trailer manufacturer selects specific tires and puts that information on the trailer’s certification label those tires become - by size and air pressure - the standard for that trailer.

FastEagle
Do you think that their decision is driven by safety or by cost?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #52

I can only point out what - in part - a regulation says. The vehicle manufacturer must - by DOT regulations - set the vehicle’s GAWR, then fit tire/rim assemblies to meet the DOT requirements for that GAWR. They must also set the recommended - correct - tire pressures for their tire selection.

Cost is always a consideration for the manufacturer. Next time you’re browsing around at a large auto dealership make a note of how many brand name tires are represented.

Nobody really knows why tires fitted to RV trailer axles fail so often. Goodyear has worked very hard to be successful with their ST and LT trailer tires. Failures are still reported on those tires used as OEM.

FastEagle
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have to practice for retirement.It will come naturally to you
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Nobody really knows why tires fitted to RV trailer axles fail so often. Goodyear has worked very hard to be successful with their ST and LT trailer tires. Failures are still reported on those tires used as OEM.
Which is the reason I upgraded from the OEM Goodyear Wrangler HTs to Michelin XPS Ribs on our previous 5th wheel and the OEM Goodyear G614 RSTs to the Michelin XTAs on our current 5th wheel. Since both upgrades, I've never had a problem with either of these all-steel construction Michelin tires. Tires are one place that I refuse to cheap out - the peace of mind is worth the price I pay NOT to have tire problems on the road.

Rusty
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #55

And then there are the LT tires stating on the sidewall "for trailer use only". I just bought 2 new Powerking LT 235R85/16, LR G tires with that on the sidewall. They have a 75 MPH speed rating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #56

I went through about 5 brands of ST tires before I went to Yokohama LT235/85R16/E tires. Never had another tire problem on my 5er. Three friends did the same with the same results. My 5er was weighted and balanced the best I could do.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires