Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #57

Noticed that the speed rating on the Michelin XTA is 62MPH, is that a concern?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
That's because it's a European tire (mine were made in Germany) where the speed limit on trucks is 100 kph (62 MPH). This tire has been used as OEM by a number of manufacturers of heavy 5th wheels and as aftermarket replacements by a number of us who experienced tire problems with OEM tires. I've never seen a report of a speed-related failure; these tires are running FAR below their load ratings on my 5th wheel, so heat buildup at 65 MPH (our normal cruising speed) is negligible.

If the European 62 MPH rating troubles you, look at the Goodyear G114 or other manufacturers' alternatives in the 215/75R-17.5" load range H/J size and load ratings.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by montara24d View Post
Noticed that the speed rating on the Michelin XTA is 62MPH, is that a concern?
There have been tread separation failures reported for the Michelin XTA on the Suites Owners forum.

The 62 MPH speed restriction imposed on that tire by its manufacturer must be somewhat problematic for Michelin on the USA market because they will not answer my eMail inquirers about it. The current problem is the T&RA does not approve or allow tire pressure/load capacity manipulations on any truck tires with speed restrictions of less than 65 MPH imposed by their manufacturer.

There are other options that allow faster speed restrictions.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
That's because it's a European tire (mine were made in Germany) where the speed limit on trucks is 100 kph (62 MPH). This tire has been used as OEM by a number of manufacturers of heavy 5th wheels and as aftermarket replacements by a number of us who experienced tire problems with OEM tires. I've never seen a report of a speed-related failure; these tires are running FAR below their load ratings on my 5th wheel, so heat buildup at 65 MPH (our normal cruising speed) is negligible.

If the European 62 MPH rating troubles you, look at the Goodyear G114 or other manufacturers' alternatives in the 215/75R-17.5" load range H/J size and load ratings.

Rusty
The speed rating doesn't trouble me, I'm just trying to get as much info. as I can. Only thing I know for sure is that the OEM tires have to come off before we set out again. Had a blow out on the interstate, that caused no damage to the trailer, I realize how lucky I was. The options seem to be the Micheline RIB, which will let me use the existing rim, OR upgrade to a 110psi 16" rim& the G614, OR go to a 17.5"rim & a micheline tire. Haven't had the rig on a scale, & won't be able to prior to the next trip, Max gross on the trailer is 14K, with 2400lbs pin weight. Thats what it says in the "BOOK". Only thing that troubles me about the RIB tire is that I would be going down almost 400lbs weight rating per tire from OEM.
JOHN
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you looked at the Goodyear G114, load range H? Goodyear will cover the repair on the trailer if the problem is a tire failure...Michelin won't.

Ken
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #62

X2 on that. Michelin's needle is stuck on "Run Flat".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Only thing that troubles me about the RIB tire is that I would be going down almost 400lbs weight rating per tire from OEM.
JOHN
Depends on the trailers GAWR. If the trailer has 6k axles then the the 3042 lb capacity Ribs works great.

If the trailer has 7k axle then forget a 16" E LT and move up to the G614 or the 17.5" wheels and "commercial grade" LT tires.

A ST may have 1000 lbs more capacity but it doesn't make it a more reliable tire for a heavy trailer especially at interstate speeds all day long.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Have you looked at the Goodyear G114, load range H? Goodyear will cover the repair on the trailer if the problem is a tire failure...Michelin won't.
Perhaps, but I've never failed a Michelin. All my failures have been with Goodyears. Goodyear might be better about paying for failures, but I'd rather not have the failure in the first place.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Depends on the trailers GAWR. If the trailer has 6k axles then the the 3042 lb capacity Ribs works great.

If the trailer has 7k axle then forget a 16" E LT and move up to the G614 or the 17.5" wheels and "commercial grade" LT tires.

A ST may have 1000 lbs more capacity but it doesn't make it a more reliable tire for a heavy trailer especially at interstate speeds all day long.
Industry standards do not agree with you. Here is an example. I have many others.

Cooper Tire US - Load Capacity

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #66

I've never had a Michelin under a trailer and never will. Myself and friends have found that Yokohama LT tires are much more reliable. Actually, any LT tire is more reliable. I tried about 5 different brands of ST tires and they all failed. Some even gave 500+ lbs weight margin per tire and they still failed. I checked my pressures before each trip and at rest stops. None of them were ever overly warm. Trailer was balanced side to side/front to back with full fluids.

I was a Michelin man most of my life until I had a Michelin truck tire destroy the right side of my truck bed and exhaust pipe… twice. Neither tire was a year old, was inflated to the sidewall pressure and my tongue weight was well under the limit.

The first time I let DT send the tire to Michelin. Michelin said it was “Run Flat”. Well of course it was. I can't stop immediately from 65 MPH. The second time, I had an accident reconstruction firm inspect the tire. They concluded the tire was defective. The first time, it cost me well over $1000, the loss of time and the inconvenience.

I told DT to remove all 5 Michelin tires and replace them with Goodyear Silent Amour Technology Wranglers and have not had a single flat or failure. They are almost worn out.

The only time a Michelin tire will be under any of my vehicles, is if I run over what's left of one on the road.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #67

All very interesting reading. One thing about ST tires that concerns me is I will be purchasing from a local tire shop who will order whichever tire I decide on. I am afraid that an ST tire may be a year from manufactuer date when it comes in. What is a reasonable time frame to demand for the date code on tires?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #68

Jeff, do yourself a favor and get LT tires. 16" are pretty common. Not so 15". They're worth the extra money.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #69

I am leaning way toward (95%) LT tires I have Goodyear 235/80R16 Rated for 3000 lbs at 65 PSI. They are 7 years old I have pushed it as far as I care to. I am going to have to get out and check my rims to see what PSI they are rated for. Most of the LT tires I have looked at are rated for 3042 lbs at 80 psi and are 235/85 16. I hope I can still get my wheel chocks in with the slightly bigger tires.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #70

When I went to 16" on my 5er, I used Yokohama 215/85-R16. They were "E" range rated at 2680. Didn't bother to look at 15" as my friends recommended the 16". New wheels, but worth it for the peace of mind. When I had ST tires, I was constantly looking in my tire view mirror.

Tags
tires