Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Dunner, I have had the same experience as you in reverse, minus the damage. I ran GY Wranglers on my work trucks for a few years. I personally had 3 blowouts in 14 months and said enough. I started running Michellin ATX on my truck and they exceeded the mileage of every other E rated tire I have used, over the last 30 years by 50%. Now I run them on all my company trucks and we have not experienced one blowout in a combined 1.5 mil mi. Lowest cost per mile of any E rated tire we have ran, although they initially cost more. The XPS Ribs are a full steel casing commercial LT. That's why I chose them for my 18K toy hauler.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #72

Not telling why the difference, Scotty. With all the variable, it could be anything. Place of origin, materials, manf process, etc.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post

A ST may have 1000 lbs more capacity but it doesn't make it a more reliable tire for a heavy trailer especially at interstate speeds all day long.
Running a tire at max rating at hot highway speed will make the tire run hotter than a lighter loaded tire at the same speeds.

The 17.5" H rated G114 Goodyears are just warm to the touch running 65 mph in 105 degF weather. The loaded to the max 16" E tires were so hot it was uncomfortable to touch them and you could feel the heat radiating from them.

Heat kills tires, so I want mine to run cooler.

Ken
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Industry standards do not agree with you. Here is an example. I have many others.

Cooper Tire US - Load Capacity

FastEagle
I and most folks know what industry standards says. We also know what the FMVSS safety standards says about tire selection vs a tire makers recommendation in your clicky or even the trailer makers OEM tire selection requirements.
Anyhow, thanks for the manufacturers recommendation clicky that says lots of things including;

"The load carrying capacity and inflation pressure capability of the replacement tires must always equal or exceed the load carrying capacity and inflation pressure capability of the original equipment tires".

However DOT/NHTSA tire selection per the FMVSS which says this about OEM tire selection process;
..."the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567."

Simply put a 3042 lb rated XPS ribs works great on 6k axles. Hell even Michelin recommends them for 6k axles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Running a tire at max rating at hot highway speed will make the tire run hotter than a lighter loaded tire at the same speeds.

The 17.5" H rated G114 Goodyears are just warm to the touch running 65 mph in 105 degF weather. The loaded to the max 16" E tires were so hot it was uncomfortable to touch them and you could feel the heat radiating from them.

Heat kills tires, so I want mine to run cooler.

Ken

My subject and point was a 3042 lb rated Rib on a 6k axle and a ST tire with 1000 lbs more capacity doesn't make the ST a more reliable tire.
Are you saying the G114s are a ST tire and more reliable ?? and your 16" LT E's were the Ribs ??
Goodyear calls the G114 a all position tire.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #76

Quote:
I and most folks know what industry standards says. We also know what the FMVSS safety standards says about tire selection vs a tire makers recommendation in your clicky or even the trailer makers OEM tire selection requirements.
Anyhow, thanks for the manufacturers recommendation clicky that says lots of things including;

"The load carrying capacity and inflation pressure capability of the replacement tires must always equal or exceed the load carrying capacity and inflation pressure capability of the original equipment tires".

However DOT/NHTSA tire selection per the FMVSS which says this about OEM tire selection process;
..."the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567."

Simply put a 3042 lb rated XPS ribs works great on 6k axles. Hell even Michelin recommends them for 6k axles.
Maybe you should ask NHTSA for an interpretation. As the current regulation is written, vehicle manufacturers are provided with the minimum requirement need to satisfy the safety regulations. Once they make their selection and certify that selection on the certification label it becomes the minimum requirement for that fitment and all subsequent replacements must be of equal size or load capacity or both. So sayith NHTSA in all of their safety documents. So sayith DOT in their minimum requirements for state inspections. So sayith the T&RA, RMA and any other organization that has some clout with tire safety.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
....and all subsequent replacements must be of equal size or load capacity or both.
Do you really mean EQUAL, or do you mean NOT LESS THAN? Are you saying that, according to regulation, an individual cannot fit tires with MORE load capacity than originally specified by the OEM? So if the OEM fits a tire that's failure prone and only marginally within its ratings (I've had 5th wheels that were within weight ratings but at 97% of the tires' rated load), I have no options to upgrade the tire and wheel fitment?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Do you really mean EQUAL, or do you mean NOT LESS THAN? Are you saying that, according to regulation, an individual cannot fit tires with MORE load capacity than originally specified by the OEM? So if the OEM fits a tire that's failure prone and only marginally within its ratings (I've had 5th wheels that were within weight ratings but at 97% of the tires' rated load), I have no options to upgrade the tire and wheel fitment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty

Everyone seems to say it a little differently. Maybe I was too specific. Here is another version that is very clear and to the point.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad =rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nittotire. com%2FContent%2Fpdf%2FTechBulletin_NTSD-12-008.pdf&ei=qAZ4UfT0HPXH4AOV8YDICA&usg=AFQjCNGxb0Ll cOph9gW1FgvbOxSUV69tgg&sig2=CrPntpg7jybCn6QlKgatow

FastEagle
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, the link(!!) you provided states, in so many words, not LESS than the OEM tires.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #80

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You should be running trailer tires (ST) or Light Truck tires (LT) not passenger car tires.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #81

The tire placard is a recommendation only for subsequent vehicle owners. It has no legal teeth nor does roadside dot enforce info on the tire placard.

As usual your posting tire manufacturer information and passing it off as NHTSA or a dot regulation. If you say NHTSA has a regulation then show it. Don't forget we also know what NHTSA/DOT/ and the FMVSS's say and don't say.

Now back to your claim NHTSA/DOT and the tire industry says 3042 lb rated XPS Ribs won't work on 6k axles.
I'll post a email from Michelin who is a part of the tire industry. They also disagree with your opinions.

Quote:
In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #82

Quote:
The tire placard is a recommendation only for subsequent vehicle owners. It has no legal teeth nor does roadside dot enforce info on the tire placard.

As usual your posting tire manufacturer information and passing it off as NHTSA or a dot regulation. If you say NHTSA has a regulation then show it. Don't forget we also know what NHTSA/DOT/ and the FMVSS's say and don't say.

Now back to your claim NHTSA/DOT and the tire industry says 3042 lb rated XPS Ribs won't work on 6k axles.
I'll post a email from Michelin who is a part of the tire industry. They also disagree with your opinions.
Michelin customer care representatives will not read anything into a customers request. They will give the most correct answer to the question as it has been asked. It is not in their best interest to challenge potential customers. Neither will they dig deep into industry standards for answers unless the asker has asked specific questions about them.

Here is a statement by Michelin about plus sizing with replacement tires.

Technical Info and Definitions|Do you support Plus Sizing?|Michelin Tires

FastEagle
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #83

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon I sent Michelin an eMail requesting their stance on replacing ST235/80R16E tires with one of their LT235/85R16E tires. Of course I told them the ST tires were installed as OE.

Here is their quick, short answer.

ST (Special Trailer) tires are constructed with heavier materials in the casing as compared to passenger/light truck rated tires giving the ST tires more strength and load carrying capacity. ST tires also have a stiffer sidewall and flex less making them more compatible with the trailer’s suspension system.

We do not recommend using passenger/light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

We are sorry, but we do not make anything that would be comparable to an "ST" rated tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

If we can assist you further, please call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Sherry
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #84

LOL.
Your gasping now. I would imagine you loaded the question up more than you say.
Lets see my orig comment was LT235/85-16 E work great on 6k axles and you said the industry didn't say so. A hole was shot in that opinion with the email from Michelin answering a straight forward question about a trailer with 6k axles that any one with common sense will ask. Michelin as any tire maker will give their blessing.

Your question to Michelin was designed to get the usual liability canned answer we already knew. You posted the same thing on another web some time back.
In the mean time I and probably others will continue to use and recommend the Michelin XPS Ribs or any LT tire on a trailer with Michelin or any tire makers blessing.

IMO Michelin answers to both questions in those and other emails should give you a hint how they feel about your opinions and tire selection questions to them. They simply covered all bases.

Tags
tires