Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post

LOL.
Your gasping now. I would imagine you loaded the question up more than you say.
No one is loading a question when they provide Original Equipment tire size. Says so in this Michelin reference.

Technical Info and Definitions|Do you support Plus Sizing?|Michelin Tires

FastEagle

On edit; This is a specific answer from Michelin; "We do not recommend using passenger/light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement."

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #86

I tried 5 brands of ST tires and they all failed. No more failures after changing to LT tires.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes the lawyers and engineers just get it wrong and it's up to us to make it right.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #88

Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, unfortunately I've had to do the proof-testing on some of my RVs to find a tire that will work. The OEM-supplied tires were, in 2 our of 3 cases on my 5th wheels, JUNK (repeated tread separation failures with damage to the 5th wheel), and on the 3rd I changed them out before they had a chance to fail.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the results to be different. If I had OEM tires that were failing and kept putting the same tire back on my 5th wheel only to fail again, that to me is pretty close to insane!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #89

Quote:
FastEagle

On edit; This is a specific answer from Michelin; "We do not recommend using passenger/light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement."
I like this specific answer from Michelin:

" We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin."

or here is another specific answer I like also;

"The Michelin XPS Rib can be used for recreational vehicles, trailer
travelers and pick up trucks. This is an all around tire for many different applications. I hope this answer your question. Again, thank you for being a Michelin consumer."

Anyhow this is the norm with discussing a tire subject with FastEagle. We typically start with the tire placards recommendations and wind up with what Michelin says and ignores helping a trailer owner with making a good decision on which tire will make the most reliable for long term use for his trailer.
Lets see now what was the OP topic ?
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #90

Quote:
I like this specific answer from Michelin:

" We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin."

or here is another specific answer I like also;

"The Michelin XPS Rib can be used for recreational vehicles, trailer
travelers and pick up trucks. This is an all around tire for many different applications. I hope this answer your question. Again, thank you for being a Michelin consumer."

Anyhow this is the norm with discussing a tire subject with FastEagle. We typically start with the tire placards recommendations and wind up with what Michelin says and ignores helping a trailer owner with making a good decision on which tire will make the most reliable for long term use for his trailer.
Lets see now what was the OP topic ?
Michelin, like any other large LT tire manufacturer will always recommend tire fitments that are in the envelope with the vehicle manufacturer’s fitment and recommendations. In short, if the vehicle manufacturer has used LT235/85R16E tires as original equipment there is nothing wrong with replacing them with other branded same sized tires.

Recommending any tire design that has nearly 400# less load capacity than the vehicle manufacturers recommendations is strictly against industry standards. The DOT and all of the industry standards establishment (T&RA, RMA, Etc.) fully support the vehicle manufacturers final fitment decisions found on vehicle certification labels.

There are always much safer options that will satisfy everyone. Compromising safety for a few bucks is not wise and may have some bite if/or when things come apart.

RV Trailer Tires: Replacement tires for your RV trailer

FastEagle
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #91

Quote:
There are always much safer options that will satisfy everyone. Compromising safety for a few bucks is not wise and may have some bite if/or when things come apart.
Lets see now the trailer manufacturer has installed 3500 lb rated china made ST tires on 6k axles that have given many folks grief complete with thousands of dollars in damage and down time on the side of a busy interstate changing a flat tire or waiting for AAA. The trailer may even be required to be taken to a dealer for major repairs.

Now the owners has to make a choice. Go with another 3500 lb rated china bomb because the tire placard recommends one or upgrade to a better/safer tire. IMO most folks will choose a better safer longer lasting tire with a proven record such as a LT E that experienced trailer owners have recommended for a trailer with 6k axle.

Thats the beauty of a forum full of experience trailer owners that want to help another poster find a better/safer tire vs a new guy to the trailering world with a tire blog.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #92

Good post and point Jim. ST... Special Trailer? OK!

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #93

Quote:
Lets see now the trailer manufacturer has installed 3500 lb rated china made ST tires on 6k axles that have given many folks grief complete with thousands of dollars in damage and down time on the side of a busy interstate changing a flat tire or waiting for AAA. The trailer may even be required to be taken to a dealer for major repairs.

Now the owners has to make a choice. Go with another 3500 lb rated china bomb because the tire placard recommends one or upgrade to a better/safer tire. IMO most folks will choose a better safer longer lasting tire with a proven record such as a LT E that experienced trailer owners have recommended for a trailer with 6k axle.

Thats the beauty of a forum full of experience trailer owners that want to help another poster find a better/safer tire vs a new guy to the trailering world with a tire blog.
When you step outside of the ropes and recommend replacement tires that are technically an unsafe recommendation why do you not say so?

You could at least be up front about it and admit to the unsuspecting posters that it’s your opinion and not supported by industry standards.

Below is a statement that supports industry standards for replacement tires. You don’t seem to understand the ramifications for operating outside of those standards.

Technical Info and Definitions|Do you support Plus Sizing?|Michelin Tires

Keystone RV is the largest manufacturer of RV trailers. Vehicle manufacturers have a large role in establishing industry standards. On the bottom of page 18 in the reference below, dated 4-1-2013, under the heading Tire Size, you will find the most famous industry standard that everyone in the tire industry abides by.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/7289...al_4-25-13.pdf

Here in this CDN reference another major tire company describes the industry standard for replacement tires by CDN retailers.

Cooper Tire Canada - Proper Tire Loading

I rest my case with you on this subject.

FastEagle
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #94

Quote:
When you step outside of the ropes and recommend replacement tires that are technically an unsafe recommendation why do you not say so?
Nice try however you missed it again.
No where have I ever given anyone a unsafe recommendation about tires for a 6k axle. As I said above lets help folks choose a better safer longer lasting tire with a proven record vs more unsafe junk tires.

Quote:
You could at least be up front about it and admit to the unsuspecting posters that it’s your opinion and not supported by industry standards
Another miss. Your batting 100% now. Your opinion of what the industry says about tire replacement is your own.
Fed Safety standards (FMVSS) is what I use as a safety guideline for proper tire fitment. It very simply says ;
...the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567."

Quote:
FastEaglge says;
I rest my case with you on this subject.
same old blah blah with nothing new.

Tags
tires