Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Cool Fifth Wheel Trailer Tires

I have a 2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347 THT. On my way home from Florida last week, I experienced a tire blowout on I75. The unit currently has Goodyear Marathon tires, (P235 75R16). A quick internet search has led me to understand these tires are junk. Given the loading of this application, I'm interesting in purchasing the best tires available for this rig. I'm currently leaning toward the Goodyear G614. Any good / bad experiences with this product? Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I dumped the Marathons (after a blowout) and replaced with Michelin LT's. Have over 13k on the Michelins in the last 12 months with no problems. I personally will not ever go back to a ST tire or a Goodyear (they disavowed all responsibility for the tread separation because the tire was too damaged to determine the cause of the failure after exploding at 65 mph in NM) (DUH!)

& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

I think you have put the wrong tire size in your post. The OE tires should be ST235/80R16E.

Because of their load capacity (3420# at 80 psi) the OE tires are hard to replace with LT tires without having to also change rims. The G614 requires high pressure rims capable of 110 psi. The G614 has an excellent reputation when not stressed and will work well on your 6000# axles.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check you rims to see if they can carry the 110psig required for the G614. Otherwise do as I did and go to an H rated tire on 17.5" rims. Much better tire selection with the 17.5" rims and they are the same rolling diameter as the E series.

Ken
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
After repeated failures of the G614s, I did the same thing as Ken - I went to the 17.5" wheels and a J-rated 215/75-17.5 tire. This increased the tire's load capacity from 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG to 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG. I made this switch back in 2010 and have never had another tire problem. It's not cheap, but the peace of mind is well worth it when (as we did in September) driving across I-10 in West Texas on a 103 degF afternoon.

Do a search here on iRV2 as well as the internet on Goodyear G614 RST and you'll be equipped to make an informed decision......

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the advice.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Brett B--
If you decide to change to 17.5" wheels/tires, give Scott a call at

www.trailertiresandwheels.com

and discuss your situation. He might have a better solution, and ships tires/wheels everywhere.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott will work you a deal that I could not beat locally. He will ship you the rims, tires mounted (price on low price to high priced), balanced, wheel lugs, and center caps. All you have to do is jack it up and swap the wheels. Mine were about $2600 (Jan 2012) delivered to DFW area with Goodyear 215/75-17.5 tires.

Ken
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Goodyear Marathons

The sad truth is that with Marathons it's not a matter of IF the tires will explode, it's when.

Light truck (LT) tires will work well on your Montana. Michelin Ribs would be my first choice, and you won't need new rims. ANY Chinese tire would be my last.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Light truck (LT) tires will work well on your Montana. Michelin Ribs would be my first choice, and you won't need new rims. ANY Chinese tire would be my last.
+1

Another good LT alternative: BFGoodrich Commercial T/A. A step down from the Michelin Ribs but a very good trailer tire and $100 or so per tire less expensive - and like the Ribs, not made in China.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #11

Count me as one who will never ever again use ST tires. I would rather use an LT tire at its max load than a moderatly loaded Chinese 'Willpop' ST tire. I've owned many trucks and have maxed them out and never suffered an LT blow out. I've had several ST's blow out.

If the powers-that-be can ever manufacture a RELIABLE ST tire then I would consider buying it.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The problem with the XPS Rib in this application is that they're only rated at 3042 lbs in the LT235/85R-16 load range E size whereas his existing ST Marathons are rated 3420 lbs. Same for other load range E LT tires in this size.

I'm a believer in the XPS Ribs and have used them on previous 5th wheels, but they are limited in their load ratings.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #13

Interesting. Just took the full set of Goodyear Marathon tires off the rig last night and found one of the tires completely egg shaped and deformed. Clearly it was on the verge of failure. Marathons are junk. My bet is anything will be a step up from these tires.

How can rig manufacturers get by with putting junk like this on their equipment? Very dissappointing!

Again, thanks for all the input. Very helpful!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett B View Post
How can rig manufacturers get by with putting junk like this on their equipment? Very dissappointing!
They get by with it bacause the mass of consumers let them. We do not demand better and are not willing to pay the few more $$$ to get better.

I know that on a new RV, I'd check the tires and make sure it had a decent properly sized tire or NO DEAL. On a used unit from an individual, well you see what you get.

Ken

Tags
tires