Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #15

We could argue pros and cons of each all day long! But back to the original question, for a family of 4, two small children.

So, they are not fulltimers, so to have a motor home in the shop for a repair is not going to kill a weekend RVer.

I boils down to which is best for traveling in vs. which is best for use once you are at destination.
My thoughts are for a weekend RVer that will spend lots of time on the road, a MH is making more sence. I have been doing the trailer thing for over 30 years, traveling in a small truck (big truck once RV is parked and you want to site see).
I talk with others that have done both, traveling in a MH is the ticket, I think I am just about ready to try it out. If we don't like it, sell it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume you are still working an will be using this coach for vacations and weekend camping trips. That means you will be maintaining a drive train and paying a lot of insurance for a couple of weeks per year. The rest of the year is will be sitting. Unless you are going to live in it, or plan to soon, I would recommend a trailer. Much less chassis maintenance and less insurance costs.

Besides, as others already stated, it is not safe to just up and walk around in a moving vehicle.

JMOHO

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #17

K-star,

Maybe you missed the part where I stated that I have been doing the trailer thing for many, many years. I want to try something else. I am not afraid of maintaining another vehicle, in fact, really no different than taking care of truck and 5th now!! We have a fleet of vehicles and RV/Boats/motorcycles/ATVs in our yard. Not scared of a little maintenance.

I would rather pull the jeep or boat behind a MH and travel in the lap of luxury vs. towing tandem (which we have done for 10 years). Just because there is a seat belt law, does everyone wear them??? If I am driving a MH, I can not walk around, unless I select auto pilot on a major hwy. LOL

I don't care what the costs are, if that is what we choose, so be it.
We want to drive Jeep not F350 any more. F350 = good tow vehicle, very poor off road vehicle. Jeep = lots of fun.

I still believe that a MH is the way to travel, ultimate convenience. Gotta pay to play!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #18

Wow you folks have really given us alot to think about now I know why NLOVNIT said it was the mother of all questions. I see us carefully weighing all the pros and cons you folks have brought to our attention and we can't thank you all enough.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #19

MotorHomes are very nice.But I do like a 5th wheel it best fits our needs and it feels more like a home.

Hey go with what will best fit your needs and go camping.
2005 Cardinal 35CKT,2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke,CC,4x4,5" Dual exhaust,Hypertech powerchip 111 stage,Firestone Airbags,25K Airsafe Hitch,125cc Yamaha scooter,250cc Lance Scooter.Basset Hound (Shorty).
Charles & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #20

Talking

Our 5th has served us well for 10 years.

I just noticed something on this web site, the MH section is above the 5th wheel, sooooo that makes MH better according to this site
Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman View Post
Our 5th has served us well for 10 years.

I just noticed something on this web site, the MH section is above the 5th wheel, sooooo that makes MH better according to this site
Nah, Motorhomes get top billing because they have more issues to deal with

Uh-Oh, Now I'm probably really in for it...Peace
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #22

Its a personal decision. I have chose the 5th wheel path. I have a Jayco 345 BHS, which is huge! Enough room for 2 kids, 2 parents, Big Dog, Little Dog, and cat. The back room is enormous. Forest River's Sandpiper brand also has a massive bunkhouse model with a large back room. I do not know if MH's can compare floor-space wise. I have not comparison shopped.

I have seen some MH's in the campgrounds with ALOT more storage than I have, and i have 3 massive storage areas (not including all the well thought-out cabinets inside.

I do fulltime, and use my truck as my "get around" vechicle. I have simply become accustomed to it beating the tar out of me on bumps. (With the trailer on, the ride is very peaceful and gentle).

I won't jump on the whole high horse of seatbelts, etc, but there is more space overall in the MH for everyone, which can be nice. Fuel price may be a concern for you as well. I believe MH's get in he 6-8 mpg range. My truck (diesel) with the camper and everything packed gets about 11 going through hilly areas.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #23

I am only getting 9.2-9.5 MPG out of our turbo diesel towing our 5th (approx 20k lbs GCVW)
Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #24

re: miss the MH

I traded my '97 Jayco 3230 last year for a new Challenger 33DBB. I like the idea of about half the insurance cost for the 5er but I really miss the MH. We travel with 2 teenage girls. (both ours)
It's kind of a wash. If I needed to move the MH on the driveway for some reason, I just got in it and moved it. Not the 5th wheel, kind of a PITA you got to hookup and unhook. The MH, as stated before, another vehicle to maintain.
My next trade will probably be a MH.

Marshall Alexander
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A class A is all motor home, you can pull off the road, get up, walk into the back, sit down, do what must be done, return to the driver's seat (having finished the paper work) and continue down the road, in a driving rain, and never get your feet wet.

Given a 35-40 Foot "A" you can expect around 8 MPG

Now, pulling a 5-er with the proper size pick up.. If you need to "Go in the back" as above, you are GOING to get wet, and if it's a 35-40 foot, you can expect around 8 mpg. Same as the class A (The laws of physics don't much change)

Here is the biggie: WHen you drop your trailer or I drop my towed. I can expect to get, with my towed, up to 20 MPG, some go 30-40, You perhaps 12-16.

Which do I do more of.. Camp-camp 8mpg, or camp to store, church, show, event, attraction 20mpg?

Page 2, Yes it's 2 drive trains to maintain.. However there is an old joke about a military man going to the base and he had his pick up towing a volkswagen and in the volkswagen he'd removed a seat so he could stow his motor cycle. The gas station attendant, looking at the consist, said "How about a skate board.... Just in case"

If you are tooling down the highway and a bolt comes loose and a U-Joint falls apart... You are dead in the road till a passer by offers assistance (If you are in a cellular dead zone)

I could, with effort, pull (or push) off onto the shoulder. drop the towed, and go for help.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Now, pulling a 5-er with the proper size pick up.. If you need to "Go in the back" as above, you are GOING to get wet, and if it's a 35-40 foot, you can expect around 8 mpg. Same as the class A (The laws of physics don't much change)

Here is the biggie: WHen you drop your trailer or I drop my towed. I can expect to get, with my towed, up to 20 MPG, some go 30-40, You perhaps 12-16.
I get an average of 11 mpg towing, and that is including mountains. My 5er is 38 feet, with a proper truck. When unhooked, I get an average of 18 mpg combined city/highway driving.
I suppose I could be splitting hairs, but 11 mpg across country and 8 is a big difference.

I drive an unmodified Dodge 6.7 Cummins.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRVer View Post
I get an average of 11 mpg towing, and that is including mountains. My 5er is 38 feet, with a proper truck. When unhooked, I get an average of 18 mpg combined city/highway driving.
I suppose I could be splitting hairs, but 11 mpg across country and 8 is a big difference.

I drive an unmodified Dodge 6.7 Cummins.

Wow, I too drive the same truck and a 39 foot 4 slide 5er but when empty/unloaded I never get 18. Wish I could. I get between 10 and 11 towing though. My truck however, is an 07.5 auto, 6.7, 4wd ,club cab, long bed, dually, unmodified Dodge Cummins. Maybe yours is 2WD single rear wheel. Few I've talked to ever get 18 with any 6.7. My old Dodge Cummins got over 20 consistently unloaded but it was a 2wd single rear wheel.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #28

Your dually is definitely heavier than my truck.

I have a 2008 Dodge 2500. 6.7 Liter Quad Cab short bed. 4x4. 4.10 axle ratio.

If I get into pure city driving, my mileage will drop to about 15-16. If I get into pure highway driving, my mileage will rise to 19-22, depending on hills. I have been very happy with the truck. I drive on the freeway between 60 and 65.

There have been times I've gotten on the pedal a little heavier when I'm in a rush or just feel like speeding with expected reductions in mileage. I have put in a tank of questionable fuel and my mileage has also plunged terrifyingly low.

The mileages I stated are my average since I bought the truck in January of 2008.