Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

What can I use on my filon siding to remove the oxidation? My siding was actually made by Noble Composites in 2003, bought out by Crane Co in 2006.
You can see the fiberglass fibers in the white siding, so I assume its virtually the same as Filon siding.

Can I use a polishing compound with a buffer or will I burn/cut thru the white color and have a bigger problem than the dull finish I have now?

Any and all advice and experiences welcome.
Thanx,
Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #2

What can I use on my filon siding to remove the oxidation? My siding was actually made by Noble Composites in 2003, bought out by Crane Co in 2006.
You can see the fiberglass fibers in the white siding, so I assume its virtually the same as Filon siding.

Can I use a polishing compound with a buffer or will I burn/cut thru the white color and have a bigger problem than the dull finish I have now?

Any and all advice and experiences welcome.
Thanx,
Joe
Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing is to check the manufacturers instructions. If nothing there, there try a small area with a boat fiberglass polish. I would not use a power buffer unless you have some experience with it. Seen too many first trys and they literally burn the finish.

You might also try a product called Protect All. Some Walmarts have it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Thanx TX.

Found the mfr's website and instructions for gloss restoration, which I have reproduced below for the next frustrated owner who's looking for help

Restoring Gloss

Materials
"¢ Mild detergent
"¢ Soft cotton cloth
"¢ Turtle Wax® Rubbing Compound Heavy Duty Cleaner
"¢ Turtle Wax® Polishing Compound (for buffer use only)
"¢ Mechanical buffer (optional)
"¢ Turtle Wax® Super Hard Shell Car Wax Paste

Procedure
1. Wash the Crane Composites RV panel with a mild detergent and water.
2. Dry the Crane Composites RV panel with a clean, soft cotton cloth.
3. Apply heavy duty cleaner by following the directions on the container.
(If a buffer is available, substitute polishing compound for heavy duty cleaner and buff polishing compound lightly).
4. Wash the Crane Composites RV panel with water and dry the surface.
5. Apply car wax paste per directions.

I did this with my buffer and was quite pleased with the shiny results. Old school Turtle Wax white polishing compounding in the tub worked great.

My siding was made by Noble in 2003, but they were bought by Crane Composites in 2006. The link to above info can be found here:

http://www.cranecomposites.com/pdfs/6998_rv_voc.PDF

Good Luck,
Joe
Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #5

Update:

When I got to the most oxidized sidewall, I had to compound it twice with Turtle Wax Polishing Compound but couldn't get a nice clean final shine. Too much oxidation building up in the compound and wool pad, I guess. So I switched to my car stuff and it produced a nice clean shine. Again I applied it with a wool pad on my buffer, and polished it until it was gone (Unlike TW, which had to be rubbed off after buffing. Better not to let it dry). It was "3M Perfect-It 300, Extra Cut Rubbing Compound". (Pricey at $38/qt but does the job well. Available at auto paint suppliers.)

Next time, I think I'll just use the 3M if any oxidation is visible, and do the job once.

Finished off with Turtle Wax ICE synthetic paste wax. My siding now looks shiny, like new Who knows how long it will last?

FYI...Joe