Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #15

Here is some relevant information.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
South Texas has a rare freezing weather period. I am sure there are reasonable ways to manage the weather there.
Virginia has much more varied weather. You should probably research the weather where your next assignment mite be.

Few travel trailers and 5th wheels are rigged for true winter weather. Most are stored during the winter or moved to south Texas or south Florida.

I live in Wisconsin and wanted a TT for winter camping. I found a Kodiak Cub that was "All Season" with an enclosed and heated underbelly. No such luck. The plumbing froze when the temperature dropped to 29 degrees. Keystone is a twin brother to Kodiak. They share management and customer support.

What to do for freezing temperature? Look at the waste tank dump valves. Are they enclosed or are they open to the outside? Look at the window panes. Are they dual pane glass? Is the underbelly actually sealed against the wind? A plastic underbelly cover does not necessarily mean sealed, insulated, and heated. There are many other important weatherizing characteristics, but they are more difficult to see with a casual walk around.

The best winter campers do not have slides. Slides don't play well with snow and ice. Even the canopies that cover slides can become a major problem in wind, snow, and ice. Some slides are much better built than others. This is hard to see in a walk around.

I wish you good luck with your new home!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #16

Most slide floors are nothing more than 3/4" ply with cheesy radiant barrier under the carpet. 3/4" ply only has a .74 R value. Not sure how much 4 season that is.
So you get an insulated under belly and then you add a slide out with very little R value. Makes no sense.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #17

You may check out the highland ridge open range units. I've looked at several and seem to be pretty well built.
Obie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #18

I can attest that Jayco North Points have heated underbellies. I’ve been camping in mine in low 20F temps all night with zero freezing issues. And the heating systems aboard kept the coach interior at 68F without issue.

For what it worth.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #19

KZ RV Club
Having purchased a KZ FW in late '17, and liking it, have you looked at the Durango Gold models? They do make a mid-bunk model and the Gold line is advertised as full time. While they are a smaller mfr, they seem very willing to work with owners in allowing mobile repair to do warranty work when taking to a dealer isn't an option.

Lyle
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
I can attest that Jayco North Points have heated underbellies. I’ve been camping in mine in low 20F temps all night with zero freezing issues. And the heating systems aboard kept the coach interior at 68F without issue.

For what it worth.

Thank you for this tidbit! Have you had a lot of warranty/quality issues?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
Having purchased a KZ FW in late '17, and liking it, have you looked at the Durango Gold models? They do make a mid-bunk model and the Gold line is advertised as full time. While they are a smaller mfr, they seem very willing to work with owners in allowing mobile repair to do warranty work when taking to a dealer isn't an option.

Lyle

Lyle, we have looked at them online, I just haven’t been able to find a dealer within reasonable distance to actually walk one. We did like them, though.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Just a thought that popped into my head while reading this. Have you considered a toy hauler? Make a whole bedroom instead of just a bunk house.
Another thought is check consignment lots for used units. I got our HitchHiker from PPL motors in Houston 10 years ago and still going strong.

We looked at them initially, but we feel you lose so much living space, which when we are indoors, is where we spend most of our time. We really liked the Seismic.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #23

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Lyle, we have looked at them online, I just haven’t been able to find a dealer within reasonable distance to actually walk one. We did like them, though.
I can sympathize. When I first started looking in the 2015 time frame, there was ONE KZ dealer here in AZ. I had zeroed in on a specific model and the closest I could find one was Folsom RV in NORCAL, and I couldn't talk DW into a 14 hour drive from the PHX area to look at it. To date, I've still not seen one in person, and I'd =really= like to.

Lyle
Old 11-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #24

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post

Lyle
yep, love the KZ and they are full time rated, with a heated under belly. Like Lyle said they will authorize mobile repair for the Gold series, they have on mine.

The mid bunk I believe is the G382MBQ. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G382MBQ.html
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #25

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
yep, love the KZ and they are full time rated, with a heated under belly. Like Lyle said they will authorize mobile repair for the Gold series, they have on mine.

The mid bunk I believe is the G382MBQ. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/duran...s/G382MBQ.html
I was only interested in the 1500 series, and KZ assured me that mobile repair would be authorized. Caveat is that was pre-Thor. Might be different, now.

Lyle
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #26

Just my thoughts, I'd rank the Palomino a tad below the other three on your list. But be aware that's based on old experience. New ones may be better. Look at frame construction. Size of the I beams matters. Did they put on Goodyear Endurance tires or China bombs? What is the CCC? For a large full time unit 2500# is rock bottom minimum. Try to ignore the glam and look at the foundation.

If you plan to move and park for an extended time, your F350 should be Ok, but if you plan to travel the unit, you may find it a bit on the lightweight side.

Thank you for your service.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #27

OH, I have a couple of more thoughts. You're liable to be in some hot country. For sure 2 15000 BTU A/C. It would be great if there was a third roof vent that was wired for a third A/C. You might want to give a point or two the a unit with sliding windows over the new frameless style. Easy to add a window A/C to the slider.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Keymastr gave some good advice. It would be very unusual to find a quality used RV in your own town. Expect to search nationwide.
The trailers you listed are going to be a big step down in quality and longevity from a 40' Alpine coach.
I'd suggest you visit the factories and see how they are constructed. There is a reason they can be pulled with a lighter duty pickup.
Also ask other folks that have gone from a quality class A diesel to a trailer?
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote