Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Finally Getting Back Into RVing Need Advice

After a long absence we have decided to purchase a new 5th Wheel. We had a Sunnybrook TT for several years back when Sunnybrook only offered TT as the Titan class. We've missed this site and all the good people who make up the RV world. We've decided on an Artic Fox 27-5L 5ver. I think we have done our homework on this as much as possible on everything except financing. I was surprised to find that my old standby (Navy Federal Credit Union) does not finance RV'S straight-out and their rate was a little on the high side. I am a little surprised at all the requirements on loans today. A lot of the Finance Co. we've looked at want collteral, 15-20% down and some even have penalty for early payoff. Any advice on a good dependable Company to do buisness with?
While I am here, what are your thoughts on Northwood's Artic Fox 5vers and TT.
Good to Be Back,

Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
Hello Traildust. Like you, we had a Mobile Scout (Sunnybrook) 5th wheel trailer, but when I found Heartland I changed. Heartland offers much more bang for your buck than any manufacturer I know of and outstanding customer service.

Welcome back and good luck with the Arctic Fox.

2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
We went thru Michigan State Universtity Credit union.Good rates real easy to deal with.
08 Silverado 2500HD cc
2012 Sunnybrook 3300CK
hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
I used Essex Credit. Very easy to deal and with a good rates
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab LB 4x4 w/ B&W Turnover Ball and Companion Hitch
2013 Forest River Sierra 32QBBS
noslofivoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used Advantis credit union. Very good rates and they even financed our '01 rig.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Excel Owners Club
If you are a Good Sam Club member they offer financing at decent rates (with an independent company).
Lee, Beth & ObiPup
Didymop (2012 36RKM), pulled by Geronimo (2015 GMC 3500), followed by Beth driving JakeKar (Solara Convertible)
didymop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We financed our 5er and the truck through USAA.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm one of those that has been a USAA member for over 50 years. I've had all my insurance and savings thru them all that time, and they do a wonderful job. If you're eligible to join USAA, then that's probably an excellent choice for a loan on an RV.

Originally Posted by USAA
Rates as low as 5.25% APR for motor homes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, pop-up campers and slide-on campers

Up to 100% financing and refinancing available for loan amounts less than $100,000

I've also been a member of various credit unions for about 50 years. Back when I had to finance vehicles, I always financed them thru a credit union. In my last 20 working years it was Space Age FCU in Denver, located in the Air Force Accounting and Finance Center (AFAFC), which about 20 years ago evolved into the Defense Finance and Accounting Center (DFAS-Denver). But now I'm nowhere near Denver so I use my wife's credit union as our "bank". It was started by West Texas/New Mexico Florist Assn., but is now for florists anywhere. But there are several credit unions in Midland that accept almost anyone as a member. Community FCU comes to mind. If you live in the community of Midland/Odessa, you're eligible to join. I'll bet you have such cedit unions where you live. And it takes only a few minutes to determine the loan policies and interest rates of any credit union. And if you're a member of Navy FCU, then you may be eligible to join the Pentagon FCU.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #9

Many thanks to all for the great replys. After checking out about a dozen places we have decided on good old cash. It will put a hit on our saving for awhile but the monthly payments wouldn't help either.

I have been out of Rving to long. My dealer was telling me all about the Pitch Awning and I thought it was a brand name. We always had the manual awning, never had such a thing as a power awning. The 5ver comes with a Carefree Eclipse.
Once again, Thanks
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Reese 5th Airborne , Dual Pane Windows, TriMetric 2025RV. Honda EU2000i, All LED Lighting. Winfield Cross Brace Stabilizer. 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed, 4X4 with lots of upgrades. USN Retired.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
After checking out about a dozen places we have decided on good old cash.
My thoughts exactly. I haven't bought anything on credit since before I retired 19 years ago. Dave Ramsey says if you can't afford to pay cash for it, you can't afford it. You shouldn't buy it until you can save up more cash. (My grandmother was a Ramzy, so maybe I'm kin to Dave?)

But that's not an accepted philosphy of those that want it NOW!

SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote