Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 05:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Respectfully, I could not disagree more. There are many posts about tow vehicles on this site, some from people who have been towing for longer than I have been alive (at 50+ years). If you are willing to toss that to the wind, then you didn't really want any help or advice.
This site is a great resource for everything BUT which is the best truck. Brand loyalty is way too strong at times. Always been that way and will never change. When you spend 50 grand on something you have to justify that "it's the best". JD Powers came out with their latest report on amount of reported defects and warranty claims for the latest model year and Ram trucks were not at the top of the list. Does it make them bad? Don't know, never owned one. Would it be something I personally would be concerned with if looking to buy one, probably. And I think this is what the OP is asking.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #16

I have the 2014 Ram 6.4 liter. I haul a 2015 mountaineer Montana which is pushing 39 feet.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #17

Did not finish hit wrong button. I have had all sorts of ram truck w/o a single problem. I could have gotten a diesel but the $10,000 more was not worth it. The 6.4 on highway will get me 9-11 mpg maintaining a steady 65mph. I recommend you check out the ram series.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirwin View Post
This site is a great resource for everything BUT which is the best truck. Brand loyalty is way too strong at times. Always been that way and will never change. When you spend 50 grand on something you have to justify that "it's the best". JD Powers came out with their latest report on amount of reported defects and warranty claims for the latest model year and Ram trucks were not at the top of the list. Does it make them bad? Don't know, never owned one. Would it be something I personally would be concerned with if looking to buy one, probably. And I think this is what the OP is asking.
Interesting opinion. To each their own. I have had 2 friends with new ford 350s. One has been in the shop 7 times in a year, the others was in 4 times in 6 months before he got rid of it. Neighbor's new 3500 HD was leaking oil after 3000 miles. They are the reason I bought a Ram
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO they are all OK. All brands will have owners who report problems and all brands will have owners who report no problems.

Figure out which one you like the best, has the best price and which fan club you want to be part of.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO they are all OK. All brands will have owners who report problems and all brands will have owners who report no problems.

Figure out which one you like the best, has the best price and which fan club you want to be part of.
That is sound advice
Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #21

I love my Duramax GMC, but in all fairness, the new 2017 Ford SD has some real nice improvements. I just read about it in Trailer Life magazine.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #22

Whose got the Mega Cab? There's your answer.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #23

Towing Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyLivinKim View Post
HI All! We are in the process of purchasing a new or used truck to pull our 014 Keystone Montana 3150RL. I've heard to stay away from RAMS due to their transmissions...so we have been looking at Chevy 2500/3500HDs and Ford 350s. Any recommendations???
I just found this web site: Haylett Auto & RV Free info on different year trucks and cars towing ability.
stevebxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #24

68RFE are very good trannys l have a 14 Ram and my friend has a 12 no problems. I had a 94 and it sucked ! The advice given you is much dated.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #25

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the big three. Buy a truck that is rated for the load you are going to pull and leave it stock. With rare exception it will last a very long time. Don't forget to maintain it. People seem to start having trouble with transmissions and other drive line parts when they start modifying the truck by adding programming or whatever to boost power. You can't upgrade the motor and ignore the rest of the truck and most people do, until something breaks, then it's called junk.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the big three. Buy a truck that is rated for the load you are going to pull and leave it stock. With rare exception it will last a very long time. Don't forget to maintain it. People seem to start having trouble with transmissions and other drive line parts when they start modifying the truck by adding programming or whatever to boost power. You can't upgrade the motor and ignore the rest of the truck and most people do, until something breaks, then it's called junk.
I agree with Don, alot of people who are complaining about the truck have deleted or reprogrammed which creates another problem with tranny, turbo and gasket and head then complain it is the brand.
diesel2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #27

IMHO a Ford is the way to go. Had them for 11+ years. #1 in Texas.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #28

They all have their issues. I had a 2011 f250 6.7L that I loved and thought it would be my last truck until I started mysteriously consuming antifreeze at an alarming rate. I started researching the other brands and ended up buying a 2015 Chevy 3500 DRW. Get on the truck brand specific forums and read the problems people are having with thier trucks. It's a good way to get a feel for the issues each one has and how the manufacturers take care of them. That's what I did and it seemed Chevy had the least complaints as far as major drive Line issues.
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote