Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Fire extinguishers

Reworking 1985 Alpenlite 5th wheel, and it has only one extinguisher, flush mounted just inside the entrance door. Not very big and pretty old, sure it needs to be replaced. Thinking there should be 3 - 1 just inside the door, 1 in the br area, and one accessible from outside. How big should the be, and what type? Dry chem makes a terrible mess. How do you guys handle this?
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Try the search function put "Fire Extinguishers" in the search block.
I'm sure there was a big discussion a short time ago.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

Yes, dry chem does make a mess, but less than a fire.

For me, one at the entrance and one in the rear bedroom seems safe. I think the one at the door would suffice for outside coverage.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We also keep one in the basement compartment nearest the front door, and in the cubby that is inside/adjacent to the battery trays. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have 5, I know, overkill. Door, galley, bedroom, basement by entry door and basement with batteries at the drivers side.

Dry chemical, I am in the restaurant business and have cleaned or supervised the cleaning of a few discharges.

I found disposable ones at Lowes Hardware. 5 year life, contain more than the standard small extinguisher and easy to velcro in place.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have one under kitchen sink next to the. range(fire) in the event DW is cookin more then food!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
Inside extinguishers should be 5lb ABC dry powder type.Outside units should be 10 lb minimum, bigger if you can manage it. Keep one near the kitchen,not in it, so you can get to it for cooking fires. Powder is tough to clean,but not as hard as ashes.
Popsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #8

We have 4 inside, 1 small buy the chairs, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in bedroom, 1 by main door.
We have 2 accessible outside- 1 on each side of the pass-thru compartment
We have 2 on the truck- 1 in each side storage space.

I have used 2 of the putting out car fires that were not out of control, but would have been by the time the fire dept showed up. Both of those were along interstates, 1 was a brake issue. We smelled the hot brakes for miles before we saw the vehicle on the side with the owner jumping up and down frantically. The other was a Range Rover, and ya'll know about those British vehicles and letting that 12v smoke out of the system.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

I would encourage you to attend an RV Fire Safety Seminar by Mac McCoy. It mad a believer out of me with his demonstration of the powder fire extinguishers that come in all our RVs. All my powder units went in the trash. I only carry foam extinguishers now.

macthefireguy.com

It is sad how the RV manufacturers save a small amount of money by placing inferior detectors and extinguishers in our RVs. This is a very important LIFE SAVING item.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Go to outsideourbubble.com. He has some good info on fire extinguishers. Also good reviews of various RV stuff.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with advice to attend a RV Fire Safety Seminar by Mac McCoy if you can. Also search the Internet for Mac McCoy. Different kinds of fires need different solutions. However, an ABC type is way better than no extinguisher. I have different types and sizes in various places. Standard RV unit at entry door, a new foam style "Flameout" in kitchen and back of truck. A small ABC in rear seat of truck, 10 lb. ABC in bedroom and living room and another ABC 10 Lb. in driver's side basement. I leave this door unlocked while driving. Overkill, maybe, but not if its prevents a total loss. You may need more than one extinguisher to control some fires and may not have timely access to each location in an emergency.

I strongly recommend to study common causes of RV fires and take preventive action to avoid the need to use your extinguishers. Also practice putting out fires on a periodic basis. At least know your equipment and how to use it. I like setting some paint thinner in an metal oil drain pan on fire in a large gravel lot. Beware of local fire codes and restrictions before starting any fire.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Once a year turn the extinguisher upside down and hit with a rubber mallet several times.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

"Once a year turn the extinguisher upside down and hit with a rubber mallet several times." Do not drop on toes, as that can cause damage to many things.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure if you know that there have been significant RECALLS on several fire extinguishers. KIDDIE is one of the manufacturer which have recall some models.
see it here:
Kidde Recalls 4.8 Million Fire Extinguishers That Could Fail - DailyFinance

If you don't have a hammer to loosen the powder annually the turn it upside down an beat it on one of your tires or on a tree.