Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope you did not add a goose neck adapter to the 5er. Pretty sure that the manufacture will void your frame warranty.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I hope you did not add a goose neck adapter to the 5er.
From the photo, it sure looks like it!!

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #17

Well the dealer took it to the shop that put it on, but I wasn't aware it would void a warranty. It's not permanent it just has a collot that bolts onto the King Pin. And what does the frame warranty cover?

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
And what does the frame warranty cover?
Structural failure. A very real possibility in the pinbox attachment to the frame when a gooseneck adapter is used. 5th wheel trailer frames are NOT built with the amount of steel and gusseting that is used in a gooseneck trailer in order to handle the higher loads imposed by the gooseneck hitch geometry, and pinboxes tearing away from the frame or frame failures in the pinbox area can be the result.

My truck also has a gooseneck hitch - the B&W Turnoverball. I use the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch that attaches to the gooseneck ball receiver socket to tow the 5th wheel, however. This is a proper 5th wheel hitch that doesn't require modification of the 5th wheel RV.

Even the more responsible manufacturers of these gooseneck adapters understand the introduction of higher loading due to their use. The following is taken directly from the website of the Cody Coupler adapter:

Quote:
A word of caution is in order about the use of the Cody Coupler! Because of its design, additional pressure may be placed on the "King Pin" of the trailer it is mounted on. This is a result of the leveraging action involved. Because of this, we feel it is wise to mention several steps that should be taken by the owner of such a rig. These are "common sense" suggestions that could and should apply to any type of trailer hook-up.

REGULARLY INSPECT THE INSTALLATION OF THE COUPLER
Make certain the "King Pin" is securely attached to the Pin Box. Occasionally, additional reinforcement might be advisable.

AVOID THE "POP-A-WHEELY SYNDROME"
Smooth, even starts and stops are always better than the jerky motion.

TRAILER BRAKES SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER!
And properly hooked up.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #19

Got it, I'll be sure to add a 5th wheel hitch before I take it on the next trip! Thanks for the info.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #20

Sharp 5ver-have fun with your new rig!!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #21

I have often wonder how many frames have been destroyed by the gooseneck adapters. You will be much happier with a quality Fifthwheel hitch, just in knowing that you are not putting un-needed stresses on the frame of your new toy.

Have fun, Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #22

Nice rig! I echo the concerns on the gooseneck and would not risk it. I would suggest you use a checklist and review it before moving the tow vehicle. It is easy to get distracted and not get back to something that will ruin your day. I pulled into a campground last month as a MH was pulling out onto the road with his slides out... He was more than a little embarrassed when I asked if he always drove with the slides out. ( found a bottle of wine and chocolates on our step with a nice note later that day) I love how our 5er tows, handles and maneuvers but it reacts slowly which is easy to deal with once you get used to it. Enjoy your new wheels!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
Nice rig! I echo the concerns on the gooseneck and would not risk it. I would suggest you use a checklist and review it before moving the tow vehicle. It is easy to get distracted and not get back to something that will ruin your day. I pulled into a campground last month as a MH was pulling out onto the road with his slides out... He was more than a little embarrassed when I asked if he always drove with the slides out. ( found a bottle of wine and chocolates on our step with a nice note later that day) I love how our 5er tows, handles and maneuvers but it reacts slowly which is easy to deal with once you get used to it. Enjoy your new wheels!
A checklist will soon be added. Here's a better pic, it has been raining all week, any good RV soap I can pickup locally? or just car soap.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #24

Quote:
A checklist will soon be added. Here's a better pic, it has been raining all week, any good RV soap I can pickup locally? or just car soap.

I use Meguiar's Gel Wash for ours and love it. I ordered mine in a gallon container straight from Meguiar's here. MeguiarsDirect.com:Gel Wash Gel Wash
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have pulled a 28' & 38' tag-along for 9yrs. And wanted a 5th wheel since I hear it is so much better, but if you need more room to park it, is the only benefit no sway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I don't know that you need that much more room to park it, rather it just requires exaggerated tow vehicle movement as compared to a bumper pull since the pivot point is roughly over the rear axle centerline rather than at/behind the rear bumper. Remember, the truck/5th wheel overall length is shorter than a comparable travel trailer, so in that sense you have more room to maneuver the 5th wheel. After a few trips, backing it will become 2nd nature.

Rusty
Most of the time I have no issue placing in a campsite.

Things to remember;

1. Yes, slower to respond, BUT not over steer!

2. You need to pull further past the camping pad before backing up, yea further yet.

3. start to straighten out about the time the 5er starts to turn, ( see item #1)!

4. NEVER, try to have the pin box level with the hitch when hitching! ALWAYS have the pin box 1" to as much as 2" lower then the hitch you want it to ride up the hitch plate to prevent "High Hitching"
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #26

This is what I do to make sure I latch correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3381850988.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	50930  
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
East Texan what part of East Texas, IM close to Longview.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #28

My two cents worth,,, NEVER rely totally on a "tug test" when you hook a trailer to a fifth wheel.. This is for everybody... I've seen it many times in my buisness that you can pull trailers up to several blocks and then drop them on the road because the latch was only partially latched... LOOK at your latch handle to make sure it's in place, use your flashlight (even in daytime) to look in behind the fifth wheel to make sure the locking jaw(s) are in place. It only takes a couple seconds to look... Just trying to help.... Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel