Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

First fifth wheel need advice

I'm looking to buy a used 370gb from a small dealer. It has all the options we want, but there was damage to the skirting on the left side and the slide trim molding is bent at the bottom below floor level. On the same side it looks like the axel must have bottomed out which wore a hole in the fabric on the frame. I also noticed the electric wires were cut near the wheel that control the brakes. I operated all the slides and they worked fine, however the skirting will need to be replaced and the slide molding fixed or replaced. I looked under the rig and didn't see any structure damage, but if the axel bottomed out enough for the tires to hit the frame it had to be a pretty big hole. Should I run from this unit? I was told by an inspector that he would not be able to tell if the frame was damaged by looking.
Tootmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

I would pass. Blown tire, broken spring, something caused the damage. Kind of sounds like a blown tire to me. No telling how the PO repaired it if at all. There are lots of good ones out there for sale with no damage.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #3

That’s what I thought at first but the tires look original and there are spots where both tires hit the frame.
Tootmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

It also depends on how handy you are. I figure there is nothing on a fifth wheel that can't be fixed or upgraded. My fifth wheel box frame had buckled where the rear axle did a hard hit on one pot hole. I welded 6" heavy angle iron to the frame between the hanger supports and made it stronger than the original design. That repair was done in a CG with a newly bought wire welder 5 years ago and the FW is now 11 years old and still running strong.
Also, find another inspector, the frame damage should be easy to determine by checking with a 4' level on different parts of the frame. You can also to check the tire DOT date to see if the tires were made months before the fifth wheel build date which would make sense if the tires are original.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Not normal and not acceptable for a first time owner. That is definitely a pass IMO. If you were experienced, the money was right, and you were mechanically inclined then I might keep it on the list.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good thing you're just looking because I sure wouldn't be buying that rig!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

If you are "handy", all that stuff can be fixed. I would be concerned about one or both axles being bent, you can do a quick check by laying a long straight edge across both tires and seeing if they are parallel to each other. If not, there's an opportunity to upgrade/ replace with new axles and disc brakes. It just depends on how much you can get the price adjusted...and how handy or motivated you are to do the work yourself.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

Do some research and find the last registered owner. Talk to them about the damage and any estimates for repair. I would consider buying it after getting at least 2 RETAIL estimates. Then I would add 25% minimum to the estimates before my offer.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

I really like what MobilMaid said Would be very disappointing if the cost to fix it + the cost to buy was MORE than the cost of one with no problems :(

Best of luck
Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

Much depends on how handy you are at taking care of things yourself. I came into RVing totally green to RVing but had more than 25 years of self maintenance on larger than trailer boats behind me. The 12V side of RVs & figuring out things for myself was nothing new.

If you are a credit card RVer I'd be inclined not to touch this one. If you have the place, have the tools, have the basic aptitude to figure things out & don't mind getting hands dirty this could be your rig especially if you are really sure it is otherwise right for you.

Do the tires show any abnormal wear from misalighnment? How old are they? Date of manufacture is on them. That rub on the underside most likely caused by a big dip could be because the tires are replacements & are too tall. The trailer could also be too heavy for the springs. I upgraded mine from a 6 leaf spring to a 7. Builders are notorious for building to minimum spec. Also the trailer can be raised multiple ways. Brought mine up 2" by installing the Correct Track system.

Most everything you can do yourself. YouTube is your best friend for how to do stuff. Most things are relatively inexpensive but tech time in a shop is not. Good to do stuff at home in your own yard so that when something goes wrong on the road you won't be helpless & have an idea of how to fix whatever it is that went wrong.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:54 AM   #11

Is this a Vanleigh 370gb?, if so I would call them, and check the vin for any claims, or repairs.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Garyp4951 has a good idea. I called Vanleigh RV Tech Support group and asked if they keep a history of all problems, repairs, parts, etc. on their RVs sold and was told they absolutely keep a detailed history for every unit by its VIN.

Tags
advice, fifth wheel