Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #15

I have 6 lug hubs, to to swap to 17.5" wheels involves swapping hubs as well. I spoke with Scott, very friendly and knowledgeable. When I do finally take all the steps to make the swap, I'll definitely be calling him.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by treypal View Post
Hey there. My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 Sandpiper 300RL 5er. It still has the stock Towmax tires, and I want to get them replaced ASAP before we start traveling in the Texas heat. The trailer has 6K axles, so upgrading to 17.5" rims isn't an easy option. The current tires are 235-80R16 I've narrowed my search down to the Michelin XPS ribs or the Commercial TAs.

Few questions.

1. Are the Michelins worth the extra $150?
2. If I go with Michelins the 245-75R16 seems like it would be a better fit, vs the 235-80R16 but my hunch is that I have 6.00" rims
3. What is everyone's experience with the Commercial TAs? I've always been a fan of BFGs, I run them on my TV and my Raptor with good luck.

Thanks in advance.
You might check to see if your current tires are the relatively new TowMax STR model. I have those, thought about swapping with Maxxis, but could find no reports of failures with the STR. Previous models were China bombs, but these may not be. I am planning a trip to NM so I will be giving them a good test. I can't find any cracks or other signs of concern so far.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Just a safety note, not personal:

Federal regulations require all tire manufacturers to identify - by size - all rims suitable for fitment to all tire sizes they make. The tire manufacturer MUST provide that list to all retailers of their tires. Retailers MUST provide that list to customers on request. Most will have an open binder on their counter for your viewing. Therefore, there is no reason to use rims that do not provide a proper fitment for new tires.

Doing unsafe things because someone else does them is not justifiable.

FastEagle
The term "Unsafe" is subjective. Doing something that others have proven to be safe is more justifiable than doing something that many others have proven to be "Unsafe". Just because the Feds or engineers say it, doesn't make it so. I choose not to drink the Koolaide.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
You might check to see if your current tires are the relatively new TowMax STR model. I have those, thought about swapping with Maxxis, but could find no reports of failures with the STR. Previous models were China bombs, but these may not be. I am planning a trip to NM so I will be giving them a good test. I can't find any cracks or other signs of concern so far.
The R only designates "Radial". This is a 2012 Cyclone with STR's, and he was hauling with an empty garage. Here's the link. There are many more like this one on that forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towmax 1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	38581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Towmax 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	38582  

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #19

When an owner has a catastrophic tire failure that also causes damage to the trailer and cannot account for the cause of the failure, a Vehicle Safety Complaint should be filed and sent to NHTSA. Keep the remains of the failed tire and tell NHTSA you have done so. They may request it for further examination.

Here is a link to use.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #20

I tired of tire failures so I "traded up" so-to-speak. I bought Power King ST235R85/16, load range G tires. They are speed rated to 75MPH if you want to drive that fast.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #21

Where are your Powerkings made?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
The R only designates "Radial". This is a 2012 Cyclone with STR's, and he was hauling with an empty garage. Here's the link. There are many more like this one on that forum.
Yes, but the STR is a different model tire than the TowMax ST. I can't tell from the pics if this is the STR model, but if so, now I have to rethink keeping mine as they are at 5000 miles. They look good, but maybe his did too.
Edit: After reading additional posts on the Heartland forum, it looks like the TowMax STR is having the same issues as the previous models so I am thinking of replacing mine.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Yes, but the STR is a different model tire than the TowMax ST. I can't tell from the pics if this is the STR model, but if so, now I have to rethink keeping mine as they are at 5000 miles. They look good, but maybe his did too.
Edit: After reading additional posts on the Heartland forum, it looks like the TowMax STR is having the same issues as the previous models so I am thinking of replacing mine.
That's correct. The gentleman in the photos only had his new rig for a couple months and was running empty. When I bought my 18K Cyclone, I had already read of many of these cases on new rigs on the forum. At delivery, during the PDI, the tech told me to get rid of them ASAP. I took this to heart and my rig never left my driveway before a trip to discount tire. That was $2K that I had not planned to spend, but I have never regretted it. I have 6 brand new Powerking Towmax STR 235 80R 16 E that I will sell cheap. Free delivery within 50 mi of Austin, TX.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #24

A set of Maxxis 225/75R15 LRE tires have been ordered to replace my LRD Towmax tires. After what I've been reading, I will feel a lot better on my next trip.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Where are your Powerkings made?
China. You would be surprised at the number of vehicles cruising down the highway on China made tires. It is my contention that most tire failures are the result of "operator error". The Rubber Manufacturers Association states that over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation or overloading.
A tire is considered to be ran flat if it is used at 20% or more less than the minimum air pressure for the corresponding load per mfgrs. load/inflation chart.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
China. You would be surprised at the number of vehicles cruising down the highway on China made tires. It is my contention that most tire failures are the result of "operator error". The Rubber Manufacturers Association states that over 90% of all tire failures are the result of under-inflation or overloading.
A tire is considered to be ran flat if it is used at 20% or more less than the minimum air pressure for the corresponding load per mfgrs. load/inflation chart.
And that is why my PowerKing MaxTow LRD tires are being replaced with Maxxis LRE at 5000 miles. I want to head that one off at the pass.