Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

First Post... Tire Question!

Hey there. My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 Sandpiper 300RL 5er. It still has the stock Towmax tires, and I want to get them replaced ASAP before we start traveling in the Texas heat. The trailer has 6K axles, so upgrading to 17.5" rims isn't an easy option. The current tires are 235-80R16 I've narrowed my search down to the Michelin XPS ribs or the Commercial TAs.

Few questions.

1. Are the Michelins worth the extra $150?
2. If I go with Michelins the 245-75R16 seems like it would be a better fit, vs the 235-80R16 but my hunch is that I have 6.00" rims
3. What is everyone's experience with the Commercial TAs? I've always been a fan of BFGs, I run them on my TV and my Raptor with good luck.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The Michelin XPS Rib utilizes all-steel construction, while the BFG Commercial TA is a fabric-and-steel construction tire. That's why the XPS Rib is heavier and more expensive. The Commercial TA is a good choice for a LT235/85R-16E tire, but it's really not in the same league as the XPS Rib.

By the way, seeing that this is your first post,

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Your going to get a ton of replies on a tire question.
My 2c worth, I've always had good service from Michelins and feel they're worth the price.
If your staying with the stock 16" rims you need all the info on them, including Max allowable PSI . No sense having 100psi rated tires on a 80psi rim.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The XPS Rib is a load range E tire, 80 PSIG maximum inflation pressure.

Rusty
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #5

We do not recommend using passenger/light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

We are sorry, but we do not make anything that would be comparable to an "ST" rated tire.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

If we can assist you further, please call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Sherry
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

Footnote: When in doubt call or write an expert.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #6

^ WOW
I suspect tire dealers have not seen that memo.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've used the Michelin XPS Ribs (as have many others) on 6K axles. They have sufficient load rating (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) for the maximum 6K axle rating of the OP's 5th wheel. With all respect, many users are sick and tired of tire failures (especially the OEM STs) and moved on to something else a long time ago - something that WORKS (as did the Michelin XPS Ribs during the years that I used them on my previous 5th wheel).

I understand that Michelin is not going to recommend a tire with a lower maximum load rating than the OEM STs for legal reasons, but that doesn't negate the fact that Michelin DID recommend them for use on my previous 5th wheel's 6K axles that came from the OEM equipped with LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HTs, nor does it negate the fact that the XPS Rib has sufficient load rating for this poster's 6K axles.

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions. It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable. In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

Only drawback (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire.

Highly recommended for your application!

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Mike T.
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Rusty
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

I've pretty much made my mind up on the XPS. Need to go measure the current tires, spacing, rim width and decide 235, or 245 from there.

Pic of my TV and 5er. BTW I desert race, and a 5er has always been a 5 gallon "utility" can, weird referring to my trailer as the same thing...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

FastEagle has a reputation of dissing the XPS rib tire. If you notice his email is loaded so that any tire makers would have the same type answer.
When we ask a tire maker if their LT235/85-16 E tire at 3042 lbs capacity can be used to replace a ST235/80-16 E at 3500 ls capacity their hands are tied and they cannot recommend them.

We have several emails from Michelin recommending the XPS Ribs for trailers in fact Michelin recommends them for commercial trailer service per a 1-800 number I and others have made.

Oh yeah by the way Michelin tire dealers are well versed on the subject of proper tire replacement. Here a couple more emails from Michelin on the subject.

Quote:
In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
We have another commercial grade all steel ply carcass LT from Bridgestone Duravis R-250 that are not quite as expensive but still ranks tops for trailers. Check them out.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
FastEagle has a reputation of dissing the XPS rib tire. If you notice his email is loaded so that any tire makers would have the same type answer.
When we ask a tire maker if their LT235/85-16 E tire at 3042 lbs capacity can be used to replace a ST235/80-16 E at 3500 ls capacity their hands are tied and they cannot recommend them.

We have several emails from Michelin recommending the XPS Ribs for trailers in fact Michelin recommends them for commercial trailer service per a 1-800 number I and others have made.

Oh yeah by the way Michelin tire dealers are well versed on the subject of proper tire replacement. Here a couple more emails from Michelin on the subject.

We have another commercial grade all steel ply carcass LT from Bridgestone Duravis R-250 that are not quite as expensive but still ranks tops for trailers. Check them out.
The tire industry only uses one reference point for replacement tires. The vehicle's certification label/tire placard. To be honest with them you need to provide all the information from that reference point.

FastEagle
Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

I just helped a friend pick up a 2001 Exiss 39' horse trailer with living quarters. We towed it 375 miles with old LT tires with bad cracks in the sidewall. We towed at 65 to 70 mph. No blowouts !!! This told me everything I needed to know about LT tires.

Check the weights of the Michelin XPS Ribs. They weigh more that ST E rated tires.

I will remove the crappy ST china bombs I now have on my trailer and replace them with the XPS Ribs.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by treypal View Post
The trailer has 6K axles, so upgrading to 17.5" rims isn't an easy option. The current tires are 235-80R16 I've narrowed my search down to the Michelin XPS ribs or the Commercial TAs.

Few questions.

1. Are the Michelins worth the extra $150?
2. If I go with Michelins the 245-75R16 seems like it would be a better fit, vs the 235-80R16 but my hunch is that I have 6.00" rims
I have XPS Ribs and I am very happy with them. I went with 235 85R 16 but they will reduce the clearance between tires. The 245's have the same load rating and are almost the same dia as the ST's, but claim to fit a min wheel width of 6.5" I have read of at least one person on another forum that had them installed on 6" rims with no problems. i suspect they would work fine.

The ultimate solution would be to go to 17.5" wheels and tires. You mentioned that you have 6K axles. Many people with 6K axles are changing their wheels. I'm not sure why you think it isn't an easy option unless you are referring to cost.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
The ultimate solution would be to go to 17.5" wheels and tires. You mentioned that you have 6K axles. Many people with 6K axles are changing their wheels. I'm not sure why you think it isn't an easy option unless you are referring to cost.
treypal,

If you're seriously considering moving to the 17.5" wheels and tires, give Scott at TrailerTiresandWheels.com a call. He can come up with a package to fit your axles and (hopefully) your wallet. That's where I got my 17.5" wheels and tires and they arrived mounted, balanced (or using Equal - your choice) and with center caps and lug nuts within a couple of days, ready to install. The 215/75R-17.5" tire is actually about 0.5" smaller in diameter than the LT235/85R-16" tire, which means fitment isn't a problem if the 235/85s will fit.

Rusty
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have XPS Ribs and I am very happy with them. I went with 235 85R 16 but they will reduce the clearance between tires. The 245's have the same load rating and are almost the same dia as the ST's, but claim to fit a min wheel width of 6.5" I have read of at least one person on another forum that had them installed on 6" rims with no problems. i suspect they would work fine.
Just a safety note, not personal:

Federal regulations require all tire manufacturers to identify - by size - all rims suitable for fitment to all tire sizes they make. The tire manufacturer MUST provide that list to all retailers of their tires. Retailers MUST provide that list to customers on request. Most will have an open binder on their counter for your viewing. Therefore, there is no reason to use rims that do not provide a proper fitment for new tires.

Doing unsafe things because someone else does them is not justifiable.

FastEagle