Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #1

This toy hauler is the first rig I've had with a slide out.

A couple days ago I cleaned the roof and hosed the leaves off the top, anticipating the coming cold snap would make it my last chance.

I was wondering, is it safe to walk on the roof of the slide out? I'd presume not, but it is kind of a pain to reach from the main roof...

Today, after getting everything moved in, I put the slide out in. The thing isn't quite in as much as usual at the top, which I suspect may be due to snow... Do you need to crawl up there and sweep snow off the slide out when you retract it in the winter?

Lastly, the manual talks about using a travel lock, but there wasn't one with this unit. Should I cut a piece of lumber to fit up on top when it's retracted, or do I need to worry about it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #2

Jeff, If you had snow on top of your slide out then most probably it got packed in between the upper ledge of the slide and the side of the rig. This will prevent the slide from going all the way in.

They make slide out toppers which are like an awning that attaches to the slide out and the side of the rig. As you move the slide in and out the topper automaticaly extends and retracts with the slide and if there is leaves or snow on top of the slide out topper it will roll right off. If the slide topper is wet with leaves then sometimes the leaves will stick to the topper. No real big thing except the leaves will discolor the topper if left there too long.

On my slide out I have a travel lock that is nothing but a strap that attaches to the inside floor of my rig and one of the slide out walls. It helps to prevent the slide out from walking out when traveling. Not everyone uses these because if you forget to detach it prior to extendng the slide out then something will have to give in a bad way. Usually something gets ripped off. HTH

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Jeff,

Both of our Jayco Designers came with travel locks that were spring-loaded adjustable bars with cam-over locks that went on top of the slideouts. We used them, but a lot of people didn't and didn't have any problem with the electric gear-type slides moving in transit.

You could probably find some of these bars around a Jayco dealer's yard if you want to use travel locks.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dont walk on your slideout roof!!!

Use a step ladder..

and we dont have any kind of slideout locks on our unit some have them so dont.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Ours didn't come with locks either. About 10'000 miles & no problems yet! Ours is electric not hydraulic, I don't know if that makes a difference?
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #6

Thanks for the info guys. I kind of figured you couldn't walk on top, but no one ever said anything about it, and it is a pain to reach from a ladder or down from the top...

Anyway, I went out there figuring I'd put the slide part way out and remove the snow that is apparently packed between the slide's seal and the wall, to make sure I didn't end up with water inside when it thaws.

As it turns out, it appears the slide is frozen solid to the exterior wall, so I guess I'll leave it as it is until warmer weather.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #7

Never thought of the slide freezing and not moving in or out. In snow country I used to spray/wipe the door gasket and door frame on my truck with silicone spray to keep it from freezing shut from snow on the floor from climbing in and out with boots on. I have my slide stick from time to time from the rain then drying out. Need to replace the seals some time soon.

Paul
Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #8

Yeah, that's a new one on me, too. If you push in or out, the bottom of the slide will move slightly until you hear the drive clutch, and by the way things flex slightly it appears to be pretty solidly frozen along the top.

Normally I don't think I would have this problem. Usually when there is snow at home, the ATV areas I like to go to would be totally out of the question, so the rig would have been put up for the season by now.

I only had the slide out now so I could shampoo the carpet, fix a few door catches, add some towel bars and stuff like that.

I'll still probably get one of those slide out awning/topper things next summer, if for no other reason than keeping leaves and gunk off the top of it...
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #9

I have them on mine, and plan to replace the fabric next month in Quartzsite. They make a lot of noise flapping in the wind and the previous owner had a grommet put in the center so they would drain and not hang down on the top of the slide. Guess they wanted them more for keeping stuff off the roof. Have thought of using air mattress or inner tubes to cut down on the flapping.

Paul
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
it appears the slide is frozen solid to the exterior wall...
If you turn on the furnace & let it run until the interior warms, would the heat transfer eventually thaw out the frozen seal enough for you to get the slide out? I don't know if this would work, but it might be an option.

Then you could finish cleaning it off, towel dry the seals & then spray them well with silicone slide lube to keep them from freezing to the wall again.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
To stop the flapping go to a dollar store and get a cheep beach ball. Tie a string to the air valve and push it under the topper the string is to remove it when you are ready to close the slide. It stops the flapping.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #12

Quote:
If you turn on the furnace & let it run until the interior warms, would the heat transfer eventually thaw out the frozen seal enough for you to get the slide out? I don't know if this would work, but it might be an option.
I was thinking I'd try that when the outside temps come up just a bit.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Tugboat:
To stop the flapping go to a dollar store and get a cheep beach ball. Tie a string to the air valve and push it under the topper the string is to remove it when you are ready to close the slide. It stops the flapping.
Thanks for the idea.

Paul
Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #14

Slideout locks were provided with my new Spree. Besides keeping the slide from coming out while towing, they also help maintain a tight seal at the top to prevent water entry -- on the road and in storage.

Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote