Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #1

First timer 5er seeking wise advise about Teton

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and this is my first official post after my introduction. I'll get right to the point of the wisdom I'm seeking. We have camped before with the family in different rigs but am currently looking to get back into occasional camping with our grandkids and searching for a 5th wheel. This will be a new experience for us. We're leaning toward buying a good used one vs buying new as the research i've done claims "they don't make em like they used to." With that said, we are considering a 2005 Teton Royal Laramie 36'. I had not heard of them before but was impressed with the heavy build and quality finish. I expect to find some usual wear on a 13 year old Rv but this one is spotless inside and only has minor paint blemishes outside. The fact that this unit has held up so well after so many years compared to other brands of this age really got our attention. So....does anyone have any information or first hand experience with this brand? Are there any usual issues I should know about? Are they user friendly as far as repairs or are they too technical requiring professionals to work on them? All the slides, appliances, lights, and plumbing work and the floor and roof appear solid. There are some repairs needed like some power window shades aren't working and the power leveler buttons seem to work intermittently. But I expect to spend "some" money after the purchase to make it right. Just want to know the good, the bad and the ugly from others before committing to this. Any help is truly appreciated.
Blessings! Tom & Maria
tapupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

The Teton 5th wheel brand trailers was the caddy of all the 5th wheel RV trailers for many years. They were heavy and they were about the best quality on the market....and they were very expensive for their time.
Check out Teton Club International (TCI) for more input.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Well the RV it's self is one of the higher class ones and have a very good reputation on lasting and keeping value. So that's a plus. Now the down is it's 13 years old. Meaning getting any factory replacement parts may be very hard to come by. Power shades are easy to get after market but can become very costly to replace. You said the buttons for the self leveling work intermittently. Now when it did respond did they retract all the way up and down even? Is it just buttons or does it work off a control pad? If it's a pad you could easily be looking at $500 just for the part. If the legs are not going in and out even you could also be out of calibration as well. A new leveling system can be a extra 4k. So I would make sure it's a inexpensive fix like just needing a new pad. Did you check the A/C, wet bay, water heater, inverter and under the slides to make sure the teeth are good and no jumping has happened? Those will be some of the more costly things to replace if anything is bad on them. Underbelly manily to check for excessive rust or anything bent frame and leaf spring wise. Some rust is normal but you don't want it so bad it's eatting away at the metal. Do they offer any service history records? In the RV world coach's start to become obsolete part wise once they hit 8-10 years and some as soon as 5. So keep that in mind as well. Also after market parts are not always a option. You may need to mod later on down the road or buy used parts from a 3rd party.
IzzyBizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments and advice. I was truly surprised at the valuation this unit came in at, 42,000 for a 13 year old RV. I guess they truly are well built.
Can you give me some pointers of what you would do off the bat for PM. If this was your purchase, what is the list of things you would do right away. Should I attempt to seal the roof even though it appears watertight right now? Is there some kind of lubricant used for the rubber gaskets on the slides to keep them pliable? Are there any areas that require lubricating besides the rails of the slides. Is there any special treatment to clean out the septic tank? How about the awning? Any special treatment to try to preserve them? Sorry, I’m sure this is common sense knowledge for you, but looking for tips and brand name products that work well. Everything on the internet claims to be “ the best”. Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 AM   #5

These were a very good unit when they were built. Be aware that Teton is an orphan . now just like lots of other brands. Meaning they don't build them anymore. Like my HitchHiker. Don't let that scare you. I would clean and condition the roof (I do it twice a year). Keep that water out. I use 303 to condition the slide seals. Inspect the joints well. Water is your biggest enemy. Keep it outside. And have fun.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

I forgot the tires. Check the dates on trhe sidewalls. I do not run anything older than 4 1/4 - 5 years old. It mays a terrible mess when one turns loose.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Was looking at the Tetons on my shortlist when I purchased a year ago, ended up going with an 09' Carriage Cameo also high quality but the Tetons are above them.
Couple things I would consider, if you are just using this fiver as a part time or holiday warrior type camper I would say that it is overkill as these were designed with full timing in mind. Also, another reason did not go with the Tetons is there size and weight. I don't think they made anything under the 36' length and the weight is way up there, needing a dually (or more) to haul it around safely. Got a 34' Cameo at 12,000.
No doubt about the quality though as Tetons were the chosen model by the most famous actors/actresses on movie sets! Good Luck.
dieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Teton are a beast of a 5th wheel. Dually or bigger to haul one. Just became the owner of an 08 Reliance Experience and man what a 5th wheel
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #9

As said above--very well built but very heavy. Could be the perfect RV but you need a lot of truck to tow it.
The TCI connection will help you a lot, also some Teton owners on this forum.

You might also consider what you could get for the $42000 in a newer, other brand...?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

for $42,000 in a newer or other brand most likely wont be the quality of a well maintained Teton. You may find a newmar Kountry Aire or Mountain aire...maybe.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #11

I have found that my "older" Teton has nearly all the new stuff that is being added to newer rigs. So far the only thing it does not have is a six way auto leveling system. Howsomever, the stock, basic front hydraulic landing gear and rear gear operated from a hand held pennant is easy to use and probably as fast as the auto levelers. I would check the condition of the roof and if indicated, consider the spray on roof systems. I suffered damage from Hurricane Harvey and ended up having my roof repaired by spray-on system. Kind of pricey but I plan on keeping my "antique" Teton for many more years.
Catfish
j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of truck are you planning to pull it with?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #13

Thank you all for your advice and comments. We pulled the trigger and went for it. After going over the entire unit, the only things needing repair were the washer control board, the auto leveler control board, 2 electric shades motors and the motor of one of the Fan Tastic fans. Seems that everything else is in working order. We were blessed with this find, it is incredibly clean inside and out. It came with a large manual with all the product brochures and receipts for all the repair history. The tires appear to be good but I still want to replace them since I’m not sure how old they are. Can someone give me some reliable brands you’ve used and are happy with. There are so many choices and your feedback to get the right ones is appreciated. I did bring it home with my F250 Super Duty diesel with no problem but will be looking to upgrade to a F350 dually for added safety.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

Yeah that Teton is way to heavy for a F250. Instead of searching out 16 inch tires. Make the upgrade to 17.5 wheels and tires and end your tire issues. You can buy wheel and tire combos in most cases cheaper then tires. Just my opinion.