Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
First trip

Took my first trip in our new 5th wheel. Trip was 4 days long. I found out that you need to check the black water tank and grey water tank to be sure the drain valves are closed. Lot's of fun there. Also, I have 57 gallon grey water tank. My wife and I were very disciplined on how much water we used in the shower and while washing dishes. While taking a shower, we would wet down, turn the water off, lather up, and rinse off. Not much water usage there. While doing dishes, we would fill a container with soap and water, scrub the dishes, and rinse with very little water. Still, the tank filled up before our trip ended. That said, what do all of you do to keep your grey water tank from filling up during your trip, and is it legal to dump grey water on the ground instead of in the dump tanks? Also, should I put the chemicals in the black water tank now, or wait until my next trip? Thank you in advance for your input.

Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Are you sure your grey was empty prior to your trip? You may have had some water in your grey tank then already from dealer prep and testing systems out. I would check and make sure it is empty next time and see how that goes.

You can't dump grey on the ground (you'll be surprised at how stinky grey water can actually be). However, many campgrounds have grey dumps where tent campers dump dish water that you can use.

I personally like to go ahead and set up the black tank at the end of each trip. Once I dump black, rinse tank, and close the valve, l add chemical and at least a gallon of water back to the black tank through the toilet. You will find this prevents odors from having it sit and helps digest any material that may still be in the bottom of the black tank. Plus unless there is an odors, you don't have to add any chemical until you dump at the end of your next trip.

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Also I have heard some people when doing dishes will do them in a big pan and when done dump that into the black tank or toilet. The black tank will last longer then the grey tank. It takes time to no what you can and can't do. Happy trails.
2016 F-350 DRW 4x4- B&W Turnover Ball with Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2016 305RL Montana High Country, with Mich. XPS Ribs
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote