Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble
Pretty simple decision for me, it's hard to find a MH toyhauler even close to my budget!
Same here

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCN View Post
One other factor I am thinking about. Nearly all motorhomes have a fully-integrated generator. I almost never see that in a 5th wheel. Of course, generators can be installed in 5th wheels, but spaces may be hard to find, and integration more difficult. (interior control panels, exhaust location, maintenance access, etc.)

We currently have a Carri Lite 5th wheel that we intend to make some long trips with after retirement before deciding on whether to go to motorhome or another 5th wheel.

Our 2008 Carriage Cameo had a generator that the previous owner kept. We have seen several other Carriage trailer with generators. Maintenance location is no worse than many motorhomes except for the pushers with a slide out.

Ken

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #31

Maybe the generator thing is not as hard as I thought on newer 5th wheels. Will keep that in mind.

I have kicked around the idea of building a box on the back bumper of the 5th wheel to house a generator. Not so much storage inside the Carri Lite.

Ken, thanks for the info. :-)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rob, what I do for our trailer is carry a pair of Honda EU2000i which are paralleled for 30 amp service. I can run one A/C at a time and the microwave and they only weigh a bit over 50# each. I just set them on the ground under the overhang area and plug them in.

Ken
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve258 View Post
According to my local dealer more demand is now for 5th wheel RVs rather than motorized units. What am I missing with my MTH? We travel in comfort. My DW can whip up a snack. Pour a cold soda with ice from thefridge. Use the potty. Watch a DVD movie, take a nap on the queen bed, allwhile I listen to tunes on the radio and drive. When we get to the campground I plug in the electric shore power, Open the slides, level with
automatic jacks, pull the pins on my roadmaster towbar for my Jeep "toad" and I'm done. I don't have a truck to unhook, scissor jacks to screw down,landing gear to mess with, or a tripod for the front 5th wheel hitch. Also I get better MPG with my Jeep than a truck set up for pulling a 5th wheel when I take side trips from the campground.
Comments?
I have owned several Class A, a diesel Pusher and Gas as well as TT and 5th Wheels. in almost 50 years of RVing. I went from a 38 ft Class A to a 5th wheel. Here are some of the reasons.
1. Initial Cost including Tow Vehicle.
2. Maintenance on truck and 5th wheel much cheaper than a Motor Home of same size.
3. Only one Motorized Vehicle to maintain.
4.MPG (Miles Per Gallon) of Fuel Better than any motor home of same size.
5.Wider selection of floor plans.

I stop at a rest area every 75 to 100 miles to strech and walk around at a rest area. It is no big deal for DW to fix lunch or something to eat while we are stopped. I am not in a hurry as we are retired so have plenty of time to travel and take time to smell the roses. We carry a small cooler in the TV (tow Vehicle) with snacks and a thermos of coffee if I want something while driving.

I like a Class A and they have a few features That are nice, but for us a 5th wheel works out better. I can setup in less than 30 minutes. If we are just going to stay over night There is no setup. Lock the truck get in the fiver put out the king size bedroom slide and go to bed. Get up next morning and retract the slide start the truck and go, No different than a motor home. To hook and unhook Takes maybe 5 minutes more, so that is no big deal either.

I guess it is what your priorities are and different strokes for different folks. The money saved by having a 5th wheel versus a Motor home lets us travel more and enjoy more of the good life RVing. We do tend to stay in one place longer. We are not full Timers. I guess you could call us snow birds or half timers as we RV 6 to 7 months out of the year.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #34

I prefer a motorhome for many reasons already stated and because we tow toys. In the summer its jet skis & in the winter its my buggy and kids quads. The only way to accomplish that without a motorhome or motorhauler (which wouldn't have enough cargo space) would be a toyhauler (most wouldn't have enough cargo space) or a special license for towing 2 trailers. Not exactly desireable. Also, with a toyhauler we couldn't just pull off the road for a rest because the buggy & quads would need to be unloaded... unless the kids were gonna sleep in them!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCN View Post
One other factor I am thinking about. Nearly all motorhomes have a fully-integrated generator. I almost never see that in a 5th wheel. Of course, generators can be installed in 5th wheels, but spaces may be hard to find, and integration more difficult. (interior control panels, exhaust location, maintenance access, etc.)

We currently have a Carri Lite 5th wheel that we intend to make some long trips with after retirement before deciding on whether to go to motorhome or another 5th wheel.
I have a Jayco Designer and it has a Factory installed Onan Generator.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Our last two fifth wheels had/have built-in generators. Fits in the front compartment. Takes up space, of course, but not enough to bother us and no more space than what's taken up in a MH. Control panel is inside the rig, exhaust located on driver side. Ours is propane powered and is a fuel hog in that respect. But for the way we use it (an hour or two at a time and two 40 lb tanks), it's not an issue.

I've seen other fivers with built in gen-sets having their own on-board dedicated gasoline tank, usually on toy haulers but on standard fivers as well. It's an expensive option when you look at it as a separate line item, but the gen-sets aren't free on MHs, either.
I also have 5500 Onan in the front compartment! About an hour out from any destination I'll stop for diesel or whatever an fire up the generator an run the ac units and refer, when we arrive everything is nice an cool!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalikone View Post
I also have 5500 Onan in the front compartment! About an hour out from any destination I'll stop for diesel or whatever an fire up the generator an run the ac units and refer, when we arrive everything is nice an cool!
2X. My 40' Sunnybrook Toy hauler has a 5500 also. IF I were rich I'd have me a Prevost DP pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with my Harley and Smart car but I'm not. I also started out with a MH and soon found out I could maintain it or I could travel, one or the other.

I love the 5th wheel for it's high ceilings, large living area and low costs. I suspect most people who buy their first MH never realized how expensive it is to maintain and run one.

The money I now save on fuel more than pays for my stays in nice campgrounds and the money I save on repairs and up keep pays to go out and have some fun. Now IF I were rich....
Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #38

I have a 2006 Triumph 4 slide 39 foot 5er with a 7KW Onan generator. I almost never use the generator and if the trailer didn't already have the Onan built in, I would not put one in.That said, I also have a 3000 watt inverter on board and is wired up so that the entire trailer can work off it, if needed. I'm not sure whether or not a DP would be cheaper. 54,000 for a truck and 88,000 for a new trailer but that's with everything. I ended up buying a great 1 year old fiver in move in condition for 39,000 instead of new. I guess to buy a DP of this quality would cost more then that but I need a big truck for work So, that decision was easy for us, a 5er and truck. I also own a house in the north shore Tahoe/Carnelian bay area. In winter we use it a lot and I needed a 4wd vehicle to be able to use it. We initially considered a Suburu outback but after weighing all costs, the 4wd 3500 diesel dually was an easy decision. I, like others here, decided I didn't need two more vehicles drivelines to service. After that, the decision to buy a truck and trailer was easy. I get about 10-12 mpg towing the trailer - 15 MPG solo and the truck is big enough to haul 5 people comfortably and all their gear too even though we have never have actually used it to haul that many. It is very comortable to drive solo or hauling. I could not be happier with the truck.

I'm very happy with my choices and I like all the living space, all the comfort, and high ceilings a 5er offers. If, after spending that much $ on a DP or a truck and trailer, the few dollars one way or the other saved on fuel is probably meaningless. Buy what you want and what fits your lifestyle. It's all for recreation anyway.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all, thank you to the OP for the great thread!

We've been FT in a 32' MH for almost 2 years now and have often wondered if we would like to be in a 5th wheel instead. We have watched the 5er's set up and thought it seams like so much more work, but maybe what we are seeing is the 5er's seem to be more difficult to maneuver and back into smaller spaces.

Some people seem to be able to set up quickly, while others struggle going back and forth trying to get into a good position. Backing a trailer, 5er etc. can be very difficult for some people as it can be confusing knowing which way to turn the wheel to get the trailer to turn in the right direction.

Since I have been backing up boats and trailers since I was a teenager, I would feel completely comfortable backing a large 5er. So now I am leaning towards switching from a MH to a 36'+ 5er. I will miss the benefits of driving inside the RV but I really like the idea of a more residential feel inside the living space.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #40

It's all about the floor plans to me.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #41

Seems to me the deciding factor is how the owner plans on using the RV. There are hundreds of different possibilities, an older couple with 2 dogs who want to see the world have completely different requirements than a young family with 3 little kids that want to get away for the weekend, we all know this. And there are just as many RV, TV, toad, and trailer combinations to fit each of those possibilities, you just have to find the one that fits most of your needs and your budget too.
For us today (middle-aged couple with 1 dog), a 5W toyhauler is perfect, 10 years from now, I'll probably want a DP. Well better make that 15 years, I don't see me retiring before 68. Maybe by 2027 they'll have hybrid buses than run off solar panels on the roof, or wires buried in the road, or flux capacitors, or something other than dinosaur sqeezin's!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #42

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I actually had a completely different train of thought when I started looking at going full time in a camper. (Those that know me will not be surprised by that statement... ) I had originally looked at slide-in truck units, to go with the dually and enclosed trailer I already had. I could live in or around the camper, and stow the bike and other junk in the trailer.

Due to unforseen issues, the slide-in plan didn't work, so I started looking at fifth wheel toy haulers. I'm not leaving home without the bike.

Again, I already had an F-350, so the 5'er choice was easy. Other contributing factors were the fact that I am a solo'er so any sandwich making while rolling down the highway in a DP would be doubly hazardous. As far as set up goes, the only real difference is that the MH guys can push the self levelling button and, in theory, be done. I have seen a few posts complaining about those systems as well, and have seen other folks setting up having to fiddle with them a fair bit. Also, I could get off my wallet and have a self levellor installed on the 5'er, but haven't.

As far as the other services go, to the best of my knowledge, you will still have to haul yerself out into the heat/cold/rain/bugs to hook up sewage, water, electric and cable. The only difference is I will be outside to put down my motorized landing gear, and whack a couple of X-braces between the trailer wheels. As said before, unhooking the dually isn't much more complicated than uhooking the toad.

One other benefit I have found, when stuffing a 45' 5'er into a site that is a bit small, is that once the truck is unhooked, I can be a bit more creative parking it, And can have the back of the rig hanging over the grass a pretty fair ways.

It has struck me that the 5'er floor plans feel more "homey" than the MH's I have seen. Although I realize that it is a very personal choice, as a full timer, I really don't want to feel like I'm in a camper... the layout in mine feels more like a small cabin, to me at least.

Apologies for the wall-o-text...

DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote