Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #57

Here's the absolute best answer. Other than that, it's a Ford vs Chevy, Gas vs Diesel, Asian car vs American car, pickup truck vs sedan, etc, etc, etc. There's no need for us to try to convince those on "the other side of the fence'' (But, for the record, I cannot ever see myself in a fifth wheel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch & Diana Irrgang View Post
...I truly believe it is a personal choice. I cannot ever see myself in a Motorhome but for others, it is the perfect choice.
Find out what you want, how you want to travel, choose what suits your needs and go have fun. Isn't that what it's all about? Hugs, Di

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #58

We have the largest W/D available and in all the MH I got in its a very shallow space. They feel like a train with very small slide. Would not live FT in one. And one upside down rear end for me is not practicle to be parked for months. May be OK for a bus that never park. DP are $100k option and truck diesels are $10k.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #59

Here's my five cents worth about fivers... In my 39 years of camping, I've managed a lot of different units from pop ups, travel trailers, fivers, class C and class A motorhomes. We graduated to Class A 35' Diesel Pusher 5 years ago and now we are back to a 5th wheel.

In my opinion, motorhomes or motorcoaches are designed for travel. It is by far my 1st choice for coast to coast sightseeing. They are not designed to be stationary.

Fivers are designed to give you a stable comfortable ride and offer more living space for the money. They are designed for extended stays.

At one point, a lot of snowbirds get tired of Coaching or Towing and finally end up buying a park model at their favorite haunts, or because of health issues, they stop travelling.

My point is: Travel while you can. Enjoy different experiences and trust your own gut when it comes to choosing your ride.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #60

I just went thru this. I wanted a DP so bad I was really focused on getting one. Before this we had a small travel trailer. I was looking at the 40 foot, 400 HP, 2006 to 2008 DP. I liked the idea of being totally self contained. Saw a lot of 5th wheels at the campgrounds and the 3 1/2 foot opposing slides in the living area. Thought Wow - now this is nice. Drove the new diesel trucks with nav, sat. radio, no shake, rattle and roll plenty of power. So our 1st rig ended up being a 5th. Don't like driving a truck once at the site but love love love the living area. My next unit is probably going to be another 5er. Also - in a MH you really can not just walk around normal - it is like being in a rocking boat.

I also can to the conclusion it is 5 1/2 of one and 6 1/2 of the other.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
as stated, get what YOU want while you still can.....
the Gooberment will tell you soon enough what you MUST have

Have had all kinds over the years and way back in my MH days,
I used to think it was a status symbol for many and some had the perception it was the 'hicks' in 5ers....

Given the size of them and trying to coax my prim and proper wife into the lifestyle, I thought MH too.... but she stunned me when she picked the 4 slide 5er and let me get that GREAT deezle pickup I've been wanting to replace my sports cars !!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #62

I agree with most of the points brought up. Unquestionably, the 5ver wins on cost to own and operate. My entire rig could be paid for in full by just the 1st year's depreciation on a new DP. Granted, a nice DP is luxurious and convenient in about every way. But a 5ver is not far behind on that front.

For years, I was intimidated by the thought of owning a 5ver. Thought it too difficult to hook up, too big to haul, park, drive. I certainly didn't want to have to drive a 1 ton dually around when not travelling.

I was wrong on so many points. First, if you match it up correctly, you can get a big trailer and tow perfectly with a 3/4 ton diesel truck with the proportions of a 1/2 ton truck.

I find it drives much easier than a MH. The handling is far better, tracks truer, less effected by passing trucks.

With auto-levelers and motorized front jacks, setup and teardown is a snap.

With the on-board generator, boondocking and lunch stops in rest areas are easy and comfortable.

They are big and roomy and there is adequate counter space to actually make a meal other than microwave dinners. I have a 30"x60" shower, a 42" LED TV, a ceiling fan, stackable washer/dryer, theater recliners, automatic satellite dish, etc. The only thing I envy the DP crowd equipment wise is a dishwasher. Also in the fiver you can get a couch that makes a true queen size bed.

I like that I can minimize my time with the truck drivers. I can fill up my pickup before I hook up, so I can eliminate one in-route fuel stop. I can go to any Chevy dealership to get my truck serviced and I fit right in. Every trip to a service center for my DP was a PITA.

Are these perfect? Absolutely not! The DP is far more luxurious in the appointments. The upholstery and woodwork is much nicer. Beautiful ceramic floors. The whole vehicle can be much more robust and powerful. I'm sure a big pusher can beat me up a long grade. But that all comes at a $ price and in complication. Down the road, many of these features, like integrated lighting controls and electric window shades may become costly gremlins to chase. No thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #63

Wincrasher - It would take a huge engined DP to beat me up any mountain. The new trucks have approx. 400HP, 800 ft lbs of torque and weigh 9,000 lbs. Add a wet 20,000 lb 5er and I think you will have a much better weight to torque number. Also - what sold me on a 5th wheel was a friendly snowbird showed me their Newmar Mountain Air 5er. It was as nice as most DP MH with the exception of Newell or Prevost.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #64
JDT

We bought an 05 38' Holiday Rambler Ambassador in 05 with a little over a $200K sticker. Paid much less than that but still a bunch. It was above an entry level model but there were about 5 more models above it. It was nice, not fancy, and fairly well equipped with an 8 bag chassis and a 330 Cummins. Still spent a bunch of money making improvements in handling and ride. No power demon but it served us well and we got close to top retail when we sold it earlier this year after only 2 weeks on the market (yes, we got lucky, very lucky).

Bought the truck and fiver in my signature line for $25K less than we paid for the HR 7 years ago. No improvement in handling is needed and we have much more useable space. On the fancy scale the Winslow far outdoes the Ambassador. We have auto level we didn't have on the motorhome and a bunch more nice options we didn't have before.

The one thing I didn't like was the difference in driving range a 100 gallon tank on the motorhome gave us, even at 8 mpg. I changed the tank on the GMC to a 57 gallon Titan and have gone 500 miles getting 11 mpg before filling up. This is about the same as we could do comfortably on the motorhome because if we let it get below 25 gallons the generator would quit working.

As others have said the prize goes to a motorhome for going down the road. Parked they all become your home and we spend a whole bunch more time parked than driving.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #65

Some folks tout being able to get up and walk around fixing a sandwich, visiting the head, etc in a MH. Is that really how much you value your mate, allow them to become a loose object in the event something causes you to panic brake? Been there, sadly- done that in a MH. A man ran a red light in a city, I slammed on the brakes to avoid a collision. DW was thrown from the bathroom door all the way to the MH dashboard. Broke both wrists, wrenched her back, and she was bruised from head to toe. The EMT's said she was very lucky at that; and I was ticketed for her not having her seat-belt fastened.
Being able to get up and walk around in a MH is NOT a selling point. We are contemplating buying a MH. When the coach is moving everyone will be seated and belted.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
After reading all the posts, I am surprised that no one mentioned the inability to back up with a MH and toad/dolly. Personally, I enjoy the MH for the comfort and appreciate the Camry for side trips.
Never found it to be a problem and have used dollies since '97 as well as towed four down, and you can't back up a towed when towing four down either.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #67

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
DP are $100k option
Way less than that, but you can't get a 41' MH with a gas engine either.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve258 View Post
According to my local dealer more demand is now for 5th wheel RVs rather than motorized units. What am I missing with my MTH?
Mostly, what you're missing is the freedom from the liability of a second engine/motorized vehicle to insure/maintain/store/work on.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #69

There is no simple way to to it. Both have merits, and both have detractors. The MH has floor plans that help make them more livable. You can get opposing slides to lessen the bowling alley feeling. My next rig might be a MH but if I go through the same thought process again and walk onto a Dynamax Trilogy or DRV I think I will buy another 5th wheel. A MH is easier to.set up in the rain. I rented a class 'C' once in the late fall, there was a cold misty grey drizzle with some cold wind. I thought it was really cool to stay in the self contained unit and not have to go outside. I guess in the same situation with the 5er I would get wet and cold. LOL - my rain gear is in the trailer.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
There is no simple way to to it. Both have merits, and both have detractors. The MH has floor plans that help make them more livable. You can get opposing slides to lessen the bowling alley feeling. My next rig might be a MH but if I go through the same thought process again and walk onto a Dynamax Trilogy or DRV I think I will buy another 5th wheel. A MH is easier to.set up in the rain. I rented a class 'C' once in the late fall, there was a cold misty grey drizzle with some cold wind. I thought it was really cool to stay in the self contained unit and not have to go outside. I guess in the same situation with the 5er I would get wet and cold. LOL - my rain gear is in the trailer.
But I do not need to setup till the rain stops. I would be a fool to run around in the rain if my 5th was properly equipped as ours is.