Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #1

Fiver Suspension Upgrades

I received my Dexter EZ-Flex/wet bolt upgrade and had scheduled the install with a spring & chassis business to install them this morning. I woke up a 4am thinking about how my trailer is nose high with my new F350 and on the lowest hitch setting and thought about the springs and decided to cancel the appointment.
Would replacing the 4 leaf springs with 5 leaf springs raise the fiver some? I realize that it is not a bad idea since the labor is the same and springs are fairly cheap so I am going to order the springs and reschedule.
For those who have done this, how does the ride change and does it raise the trailer at all?

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #2

And how do I tell which Dexter axle I have? My GVWR is 10,000 lbs and I had assumed 6K axles, but you know what they say about "assume."
I have what looks like the D44 series. Does that mean 4400 lbs?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Here is the best price I have found for the EZ-FLEX. I put them on my fiver and they do help it ride better.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #4

My Dexter Axles have a sticker on the axle tube that has the serial number and the weight rating. Yours should have this same type sticker.

Also, where did you get your wet bolt upgrade?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

You've lowered the hitch as far as it will go, but you can often lower the nose even farther by raising the pin box.

The easiest way to do that is to hitch up and then lower the landing gear, just enough to take the weight off of the hitch. Then remove the (usually) 4 bolts holding the pin box in place. Then raise the landing gear just enough to get the nest set of holes to line up. It may take a bit ow wiggling and jiggling and playing with the landing gear to get the bolts reinserted.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
And how do I tell which Dexter axle I have? My GVWR is 10,000 lbs and I had assumed 6K axles, but you know what they say about "assume."
I have what looks like the D44 series. Does that mean 4400 lbs?
You are so right about not "assuming" that you have 6K (or any other weight rating) unless you have found a tag stuck on the axle, have a designated axle on the info plate - which you may have with a Keystone product or have called Dexter with a part number found about in the middle of the axle tube back side. I "assumed" our '14 Montana High Country had 6K axles - they are 5200's even with 6 lug wheels and 3240# China Bomb tires.

E-Z Flex works well and an added leaf will only marginally raise your trailer though it will handle the road better. The axles are probably already below the spring so the best 'fix' would be to add a 2" sub frame to the trailers frame and in effect, raising the trailer and not something I would consider easily with a Lippert framed trailer. BUT --- if tou have an F350, it may have 4" rear axle blocks. Replacing them with an F250 set of 2" blocks may be all you need. That's hit and miss as some '14 up F350s came through with the 2 inchers. Even that 4" to 2" mod has some drawbacks which a good Ford dealer will help you with sorting out. Oh and I'm considering addimg a leaf to ours to help the Mor-Ryde or installing the better E-Z Flex plus a leaf
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
My Dexter Axles have a sticker on the axle tube that has the serial number and the weight rating. Yours should have this same type sticker.

Also, where did you get your wet bolt upgrade?
Etrailer.com is where I got the kit that included the Dexter EZ-Flex equalizer and the wet bolts.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You've lowered the hitch as far as it will go, but you can often lower the nose even farther by raising the pin box.

The easiest way to do that is to hitch up and then lower the landing gear, just enough to take the weight off of the hitch. Then remove the (usually) 4 bolts holding the pin box in place. Then raise the landing gear just enough to get the nest set of holes to line up. It may take a bit ow wiggling and jiggling and playing with the landing gear to get the bolts reinserted.

Joel
I've looked at that and it would mean cutting and rewiring the umbilical cord as it passes through the top set of holes for the pin box. I'm not ruling it out, but not as easy as it sounds.

Tags
suspension, upgrade