Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #1

We have an SLC3705 5th wheel Weekend Warrior toyhauler. We had to be towed to a campground yesterday (long story, but if you are interested, see the thread in the toyhauler forum called Question for Vette Racer)... the tow truck put a gash in our gelcoat bodywork at the front. It's about 6" across.

Anyone have experience in getting these things fixed? Factory? Dealer? Do-it-yourself?

thanks

Aviator and Aviator's Lady.

Aviatorslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #2

We have an SLC3705 5th wheel Weekend Warrior toyhauler. We had to be towed to a campground yesterday (long story, but if you are interested, see the thread in the toyhauler forum called Question for Vette Racer)... the tow truck put a gash in our gelcoat bodywork at the front. It's about 6" across.

Anyone have experience in getting these things fixed? Factory? Dealer? Do-it-yourself?

thanks

Aviator and Aviator's Lady.

Aviatorslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not Vette Racer but I'll offer a couple of suggestions:

1. A marine repair place that is experienced in repairing fiberglass boat hulls.

2. An automotive body shop that specializes in Corvettes.

In either case, I'd ask to see examples of their workmanship before turning them loose.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #4

Actually, it depends on whether the gas is through the mat or just in the gel coat.

Anyway, with just a bit of care, the fiberglas can be repaired easily. A disc sander with various grades of discs, some acetone or lacquer thinner for cleanup and polyester resin and hardener will make the job easy.

Just remember, site prep is most important. Cleaning out all the dust and laying in new mat if required.

If mat is required, cut a couple of incremented layers (one size smaller than the last one) dry. Then wet the shell with catalyzed polyester, lay in the mat, saturate the mat (work quickly) with polyester, lay on the remaining layers of mat, saturate and then apply a final coat of polyester. It is not required to let any of this dry before proceeding.

Wait 24 hours and sand down and feather the edges until smooth. (No scratches remaining). Then paint with a first quality paint of a matching color.
Actually, it takes longer to write it down than to do the work.

Good luck
Ken

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #5

Hey everyone,
Thanks so much for the input. The gash,,, as AL called it isn't that bad, just the fact that its there is killing us.
Any way, it is clean through but, I can clean up the cracks and get them all level with each other and then do a bondo repair. After that and paint, I think we are going to put a decal across the front of the 5er because I will always see it, even if it isn't visable.
I have clear auto duct tape over it and have drilled the end of the cracks to prevent them spreading.
Made it to Amarillo Tx, its cold and windy here. enough fighting the 50mph cross wind. Time for a steak house and a drink.
Aviator

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote