Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

FL. Rubber or Fiberglass roof???

I know one of my class A's had a rubber roof and I hated it. Which is better on a new FL 5er????
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
You don't say why you "hated it", but that's what 5ers have - there may be one or two makers that use fiberglass, but I don't know who they are.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

My roof is TPO and I think its great! It is 13 years old and looks like it was just put on. I re-caulked and resealed last year as preventive maintenance, the original caulk was cracked in spots - I used Eternabond and Dicor lap sealant and the roof looks like new again! Oh - and no black streaks...

Picture to follow...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
You don't say why you "hated it", but that's what 5ers have - there may be one or two makers that use fiberglass, but I don't know who they are.
Only 2 companies (non-custom cooker-cutter brands) have a fiberglass roof. That is DRV Elite Suites and Excel Limited. Trilogy did have one but I not completely sure.
Our Lifestyle has the TPO vinyl which is nice. Its is textured so not as slippery when on the roof. Plus, it does not oxidize and streak.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

My rubber roof came lose as the glue had Seperated from the wood
This was on my class A
Caused the rubber to flap sounding like 1000 birds were trying to get in
B
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out DIY EPDM Roof Coating. 10 year warrantee.
EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
And then there is the seamless aluminum roof that Newmar uses. Don't know how long they used them, but our '03 American Star 5er has it, no issues at this time.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler357 View Post
And then there is the seamless aluminum roof that Newmar uses. Don't know how long they used them, but our '03 American Star 5er has it, no issues at this time.
Had one of those on a class C that I had for about eight years - last one was in storage until I found the roof had corroded into about twenty pieces. I'd cleaned and even waxed it regularly, but should have painted it instead. IMHO that's why no one uses aluminum for roofs anymore.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Had one of those on a class C that I had for about eight years - last one was in storage until I found the roof had corroded into about twenty pieces. I'd cleaned and even waxed it regularly, but should have painted it instead. IMHO that's why no one uses aluminum for roofs anymore.
Well that's not good. I wonder if that is the norm, or if there was a bad run, or if you had a substandard roof? When I saw and read that the RV I got because wife wanted to drag a house had a one piece metal roof, I was impressed and hoped it might last longer than the previous two rubber roofs I have had. Now I have another thing to search on - failed aluminum roofs.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #10

When ordering our new 15 MS 39TKSB3 fiberglass roof is an option so I figured that's what I would get. Out dealer recommended against the fiberglass because of some recent failures and they have I think 1-2 yr warranty as the rubber has at least 10 yr.

So I went with the rubber. Our current 07.5 MS has rubber and it still looks new.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

The TPO roof on my 10 year old Florida kept MH still looks like new. I wash it twice a year with Murphy's oil soap as recommended in the Owner's manual. Never used any other treatments on it (must keep petrolium distillates off of it or the membrane will swell per the manual). The aluminum roof on the TT that I previously had for 10 years never corroded, even after repeated ocean-side camping for many years, although it was quite dented from hail storms but you couldn't see the dents unless you were above the roof line.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #12

My Teton has a different roof than original. The original owner tore it and had insurance. He had a new one installed. Original was non streaking material and this streaks badly. My work is 7/12 until completed. I can't always get it washed every 3 months. That's about the time after washing it streaks.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof