Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Call a water/disaster recovery company ASAP. They have all the equipment.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #16

Thetford!

JDPM, it is a Thetford toilet!

As best we can tell, the model is 42054. Gave the dealer this info and were told they also need the serial number. Don't know why that helps, but, we'll do what we're told.

While I understand the need for good looks in an RV, placing the label with this critical information on the lowest point of the backside of the toilet is painfully challenging. Especially in a room that is about 2 1/2 feet square.

My wife is much, much more petite than I am and she couldn't get to it to read. We tried lying on the floor, mirrors, etc. Finally came up with the idea to use her cell phone and take pictures of the label. This worked much better!

We have an appointment to take the RV into the dealer on Feb 1. Hopefully they can replace the faulty flush valve and assess damage (if any). The de-humidifier has worked easily and well. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Well, this seems to be becoming a common problem with the Thetford toilet. Here is a post from the Carriage/Lifestyle forum that I belong to. This was my first knowledge of the issue and one I'm keeping a watch on as I have the same model toile in my Carriage Cameo.
I'm sorry for your issue and the mess. PLEASE keep us updated on the issue. I plan to call Thetford with my info and question them about the specifics of the situation. I want to know if there is a permanent fix due to a new desgin valve or if this is going to be a constant issue. If so, I will be replaceing my toilet with another brand like the guy in the enclosed post! Thanks, Phillip

quote.....I changed out my Thetford style 2 toilet today for a Dometic 510H. I had nothing but trouble with the Thetford and it was only two years old! It almost overflowed 3 times in two years but luckily I caught it every time. I changed the valve kit twice in the two years. When I put the new toilet in I used a chrome valve so I could shut the water off to the toilet if there is ever a problem again and installed a braided steel flex supply line. I searched the internet for problems with the Thetford and found lots of posts for the overflow problem. The Dometic had the same footprint and also had two extra screws in the back for added stability. The worst part was when I was removing the old toilet from the RV. Every time I tilted it water came out fro in between the bowl and the pedestal. The seal had been leaking and the top of the pedestal was full of nasty water. It was disgusting. I'm so glad I changed out the toilet.
Here is a pic of the new toilet.....end quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #18

Add me as another victim of a Thetford flooded trailer...

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
This seems to a be a common problem with the Thetford toilet and has been common with them amongst Carriag owners. I think I'm going to replace the "piece of crap" before the things fooods our nice, pristine RV. Does anyone have any experience with the reliability of the Dometic SeaLand toilets. Thanks, Phillkip
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a couple of stray thoughts, problem with the affected toilets could be pressure senisitive related. issue. When on outside water, is your pressure regulator in good shape, also turn off your pump at night when you are done using water. A cheap Home Depot battery powered water alarm on the bathroom floor is also a good insurance policy.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #21

Old thread and Thetford still hasn't fixed the problem. Had the same issue in our 2 yr old Cyclone toy hauler yesterday. What a mess. We own a disaster restoration company and still this is something I don't want to mess with. Ugggg, at least it's clean water. Will be spending valuable time researching the Dometic 510H hope it doesn't have as many complaints.
JD and Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Gary, if you are where you can get a de humidifier that is the way to dry it out. Maybe a rental place in area.
This, for sure. Put it in the storage area a while as well.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote