Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Flood!

My wife woke me up this morning @ 2AM to get help with an overflowing toilet.

Apparently she had gone to the bathroom at midnight (#1) and flushed as usual. She got up again at 2PM to go again and the toilet was overflowing. It was overflowing slowly, but had apparently begun when she used the toilet at midnight. The overflowing water seemed to be crystal clear and had no odor. The water covered quite a bit of the bedroom and had leaked through to the storage compartment and the concrete below.

The black water tank was less than half full and didn't seem to be the problem. I stepped on the flush mechanism and the water was gone, overflowing stopped. Since then, we have used the toilet several times with no problems and have still not reached the half way full mark on the black tank.

As you can imagine I have a few questions:

1. Any idea what could have caused this? My best guess is that somehow the flush water (clean) continued to flow after my wife flushed at midnight, yet the flush valve at the bottom of the toilet stayed shut.
2. We've gotten up the water as best we can. Is there anything more we can/should do to address the moisture in the floor and carpet? fans? baking soda? Since the water was clean I don't believe there was any waste that went into the carpet, etc.
3. Any suggestions on preventative steps we can take to avoid this in the future. In the near term, the only thing I could think of was to wait after flushing to ensure the water stops flowing before departure.

Two months in a new Redwood (36FB) and this is our first significant problem.

gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thank goodness it was fresh water !!!
Document it and go back to dealer - water and rv interiors do NOT play well together

Video the damage and air it out as best you can...

open compartment doors, bath and kitchen cabinets, etc...
as water will get in places you can't imagine it would - both horizontally and vertically!

most of the restoration companies have blowers they use to dry out carpet...
(and they can be rented at home depots, etc.)

Sounds like the toilet fresh water valve leaked or did not close completely...

until you can get it looked at - put something around the toilet so you can see when it leaks (paper towels, etc...) good luck

on edit - reason I'm so directed in my response? same thing happened with me - I called dometic about it and they sent me a brand new toilet the next day !!! Now THAT"S customer service...

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

On mine if you raise the handle up it allows water to fill the bowl. Had it stick on me once but caught it in time.

Rich
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
...the only thing I could think of was to wait after flushing to ensure the water stops flowing before departure.
Exactly!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Gary, if you are where you can get a de humidifier that is the way to dry it out. Maybe a rental place in area.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Spread towels on any carpeting and walk on them with bare feet. It causes the towels to soak up most of the water. Afterwards use the de-humidifiers in the bathroom, and furnace to cause any remaining water to vaporize quicker.Do not use anything powdered, it will get wet and cake in carpet or fabrics. DW did that one time at our rental house, never did get the caked stuff completely out.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
My wife woke me up this morning @ 2AM to get help with an overflowing toilet.

Apparently she had gone to the bathroom at midnight (#1) and flushed as usual. She got up again at 2PM to go again and the toilet was overflowing. It was overflowing slowly, but had apparently begun when she used the toilet at midnight. The overflowing water seemed to be crystal clear and had no odor. The water covered quite a bit of the bedroom and had leaked through to the storage compartment and the concrete below.

The black water tank was less than half full and didn't seem to be the problem. I stepped on the flush mechanism and the water was gone, overflowing stopped. Since then, we have used the toilet several times with no problems and have still not reached the half way full mark on the black tank.

As you can imagine I have a few questions:

1. Any idea what could have caused this? My best guess is that somehow the flush water (clean) continued to flow after my wife flushed at midnight, yet the flush valve at the bottom of the toilet stayed shut.
2. We've gotten up the water as best we can. Is there anything more we can/should do to address the moisture in the floor and carpet? fans? baking soda? Since the water was clean I don't believe there was any waste that went into the carpet, etc.
3. Any suggestions on preventative steps we can take to avoid this in the future. In the near term, the only thing I could think of was to wait after flushing to ensure the water stops flowing before departure.

Two months in a new Redwood (36FB) and this is our first significant problem.
We had this exact thing happen several years ago. We purchased a small wet vac at Walmart, and sucked as much water as we could out of the carpets, then used towels. Then place box fans around blowing on the carpet. Had the air conditioning on to help pull as much moisture out. Took about 4 or 5 days before thing got back to normal. We purchased a new potty. Didn't feel we could trust the old one any more.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Been there, done that, in our old Class C. The flush valve stuck partially open, but the waste valve blade was closed, so the water could only overflow onto your floor and out the door, so to speak. You should replace your flush valve to prevent a reoccurrence; they do tend stick after a while.

All you can do for the wet at this point is use a wet vac to pull any water out of the carpet, open all the doors above and below and run a fan for a few days to help dry it out, and hope that no permanent damage was done to the subfloor. We were fortunate the Class C did not show any evidence of damage after it dried out; hopefully, neither will yours.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Like I always suggest. Call an Insurance Restoration Contractor. They can advise what to do. In most cases, if you call a local Insurance Broker, they will have a list of preferred contractors to assist you. What you think you may be saving, will only cost about 10 times that to remove and replace once mold or mildew sets in. At this point, it also creates a health risk. Restoration companies do not normally charge to look at your situation and if so, the amount would be minimal and the information about your situation, invaluable.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #10

Wouldn't a carpet cleaning machine work better than a wet vac? Or just take the RV to a cleaning/restoration company and have them clean it up right there, right away?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Toilet water kept running once. Caught it in time.
Fresh water tank overflowed on the ground once when it was not in fill mode.
Particles in water that got into the valves was the culprit.
A residential whole house water filter from a hardware store was the answer. Placed it in-line on the water hose, in a dollar store bucket with a hole in the bottom placed upside down to hold the filter.

There can be many causes. This was mine.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

De-humidifier is the best route. Did many flooded cars that way, even gets the water out of the gauges.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

Flood Progress

Thanks for the valuable feedback. We soppd up most of the water the night it occurred. Bought a de-humidifer and ran it all night last night (will run it again till moisture gone). Also called the dealer and will turn in a waaranty claim. The claim is more of a precaution at this point. They wanted pictures of the damage but there is none,...so far. Things may begin to show problems in a few weeks or month like warping, peeling, etc. We'll also supply details to the dealer about the toilet mainufacurer and model if there is one. They plan to check to see if there are any known problems that should be addressed with the toilet or flushing mechanism.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I see your RV is new. Is it a Thetford toilet??? If so, I have read of others having a problem with these toilets. Be sure to call Thetford. From what I understand, they are aware of a problem and have anew flush vavle that needs to be replaced. Please update us on your toilet make and model and whether or not you call Thetford and what they say. Thanks and good luck. Phillip

jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote