Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Florida for looking at 5th Wheels

Just got back from Ocala - actually a smaller city had both Excel and DRV plus lots of most next step down 5th wheels.

One Ocala dealer had Excel, another dealer had DRV, Redwood, Rushmore.

Not too far from Ocala in Wildwood a dealer had 6 Presidential 5th wheels.

Dealers have ramped up for the Tampa Show next week.

At 1st look the Excel and DRV Mobile Suites is a tie. Both really nice units.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
What unit do you have now? Are you going full time? Excel and DRV are great units, redwood and rushmore my opinion not as good. Lifestyle & New Horizon are some good ones also..
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

I need to sell a house but yes, the goal is to full-time for a few years to several years. Now a snow bird that flew into Florida for this winter.

Current rig I like a lot but it is not really a full-time unit. It is not insulated very well plus frame, axles and tires are too lite to full-time. It has all the bells and whistles though.

My post was to illustrate how Florida is a meca for RV's.

I will be going to the Tampa show to look at full-time rigs. Not to buy just yet unless there is a deal that I can not pass up.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you look at the DRV at America Choice RV and if you did you might want to go to Ripoff.com and read mine and other reports. Buyer beware.
murfie3170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #5

murfie - yes, that is the place I looked at the DRV. I have bought 3 trailers so far in my life. 2 - TT and 1 - 5th wheel so I am use to getting ripped-off a little. Dealer says one thing and does another, dealer promises something that they can't deliver. Lucky nothing has been too big of a deal yet.

But America's Choice is worse than that?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 AM   #6

Get by the Lifestyle area at the Tampa show. I will be there on Wednesday. Excellent units. Carriage is a good used unit and save a bunch of money.
Bob
Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If your looking used Carriage, Nuwa Champagne & Discover America are also very good units. Some of the older rv companies made some great units. Shame so many good ones going out of bizz..
Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

FiverBob - thanks. I have friends with a 2007 Carriage Carri-Lite. It is a very nice and solid unit. I also have another friend with a NuWa. Again a nice and solid rig.

But boy these rigs look bad from the outside. Faded decals and powdery looking fiberglass.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
If your looking used Carriage, Nuwa Champagne & Discover America are also very good units. Some of the older rv companies made some great units. Shame so many good ones going out of bizz..
Do any of these pre-owned 5th wheels have full paint?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #10

Full paint on 5th wheels is relatively a recent trend. Only a small percent of these units will have full body paint if any. I have seen late model 2012 and 2013 (their last year) NuWa Champagne models seem to have partial paint.

Carriage made a few Royale models (sp) also I believe with partial paint.

Partial paint is a step in right direction as it replaces stick on fading emblems.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Do any of these pre-owned 5th wheels have full paint?

Stano
I agree there's not many that do, I know some that have painted them.
Depend on your budget you could by used and paint it. Some people after having there rigs will re-paint instead of buying, myself I don't buy new.

I have a full body paint job it's beautiful and I get lots of complements on it. Now I bought it used this way, but I know now I'd rather not have a full body paint job. Removing and resealing you will scratch! Every tree branch is dieing to scratch it. Yes you can scratch a solid white one, but it never hurts as bad as it does when it scratches my Full Body. Because then your trying to buff it out and the pain next day of using those muscles..lol