Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Have been satisfied with my Sierra. If I full timed would look at buying a high end, but this one meets our current needs. Bought it new.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
According to the mod,
there are no new high-end models on the market, only used. Did I read that correctly?
He was saying that it would be better to buy a used high end instead of a low end new.

There still are new high end rigs being built to name a few NU-WA (HitchHiker), Excel, New Horizon, Mobil Suites.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
I probably should just stay out of this conversation, but having owned a Forest River Cedar Creek in the past I just can't help myself. I see some of the generalizations about Forest River and am amazed.

We had the Cedar Creek for 6 years, and really had no complaints about that rig. We were what I would consider heavy users of the unit, both traveling at times, or during summer seasons, having sitting on a seasonal site. While not FTing then, we did use the unit virtually every weekend from spring thru fall, along with some full weeks also. I can't say we never had an issue, but no big expense issues, in fact we thought it held up well to our use. And we had a good dealer, and never had any bad experiences with FR.

When we decided to go FTing 5 years ago, while staying in some relatively cold weather, we realized we really didn't have a rig that was set up for the kind of FTing we were going to do. Didn't have dual panes, didn't have the kind of insulation or frame we probably should have,etc. So we traded and are now on our second Excel. But, depending on how you are going to use it, I think a person could be very happy with a Forest river product. I also think that having a good dealer can probably make all the difference in the world with how one ends up feeling about the product.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #18

If you search real hard you can probably find good and bad comments about most units. I can't recall seeing any comments about Tetons or Mobile Suites, but that's probably because there aren't as many of them out there as some like Forest River and Keystone. I've seen some bad comments about Heartland and I've been otherwise lead to believe they are high end. Bottom line, I believe, is some units are not as well built as others. You have to do your due diligence to determine what is the best for you vis-a-vis your price range.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaeb
Thinking about getiing a Wildcat. But just came across Pissed Consumer website that just ran Forest River into the ground checked about Keystone not as bad but still scarey.
Anybody have an idea we are ready to buy but know abit scared.
We recently purchased a Rockwood by FR, and feel good about the decision. We have some warranty issues, but feel comfortable with the dealer.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #20

What frame manufacturer should we look for?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #21

Well, now you've really done it by asking a question about frames. If you do a search on Lippert you'll get a lot of hits about their frames, which are used by many different RV mfgrs. Are Lippert frames bad? I don't know. I can only tell you the Lippert frame under my Keystone has never been problematic and it's over ten years old. Yes, the welds do look lousy, but it's still holding together and the axle mounts and spring hangars are still good.

Some folks recommend only buying a FW where the frame is mfgr'd by the RV builder. I mentioned Heartland in my previous post as having some reported problems, and guess what, they used Lippert frames at some point and had some frame issues. I think Teton and Mobile Suites build their own frames.

One advantage of buying used is the opportunity to determine if a unit has ever had frame issues that have been repaired, although it might be difficult to determine if a pin box mount has been repaired. On the other hand, if a frame has been repaired, then you should have nothing to worry about, yes?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #22

We have a Mobile Suites and We love it. Have not really had any problems with the unit. Had to do minor work on hot water heater, Refer. None of this is DRV made. We have to camp in rather cold areas too due to my profession and we stay very warm. Can freeze ourselves in Texas heat also. Did not buy new but instead bought a used unit that appeared new. Put new rubber on it and never looked back.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #23

Had a Wildcat which was great. We put a lot of miles on it and it never gave us any trouble. I traded on a new motor home which I had for eight month and traded for a Prime time Crudader which is a division of Forest River. It is a beautiful unit and we're looking forward to many happy miles wth it. I like Forest River
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
We're on our 2nd FR. Both Cardinals. First one was too small (3100 RK) and now have a 3150RL. Both had a couple of typical warranty issues that the dealer handled quickly.
BUT
FR uses axles that are too light. I've upgraded mine to 7k and feel more comfortable while on the road.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT
We're on our 2nd FR. Both Cardinals. First one was too small (3100 RK) and now have a 3150RL. Both had a couple of typical warranty issues that the dealer handled quickly.
BUT
FR uses axles that are too light. I've upgraded mine to 7k and feel more comfortable while on the road.
What kinda $$$ did that cost you? I have been thinking about upping mine to 7k
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
What kinda $$$ did that cost you? I have been thinking about upping mine to 7k
Really not much. When we had the wheel bearings packed I asked for the bearing numbers to buy a spare set. The numbers indicated they were for a 7k axle. The dealer called Lippert to verify and they confirmed that the axles were 7k (8 lug). I had new leaf springs installed and the "wet" bolt kit too. I don't load it any different so I'm right at 11,800# on the axles. Rig does ride 3/4" higher and a little softer.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT

Really not much. When we had the wheel bearings packed I asked for the bearing numbers to buy a spare set. The numbers indicated they were for a 7k axle. The dealer called Lippert to verify and they confirmed that the axles were 7k (8 lug). I had new leaf springs installed and the "wet" bolt kit too. I don't load it any different so I'm right at 11,800# on the axles. Rig does ride 3/4" higher and a little softer.
Thats funny....im at 11,800 exactly on the rear axles too hahahaha
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
Thats funny....im at 11,800 exactly on the rear axles too hahahaha
With my pin weight at 2,400#, my gross is 14,200#. That's 200# over.

That's the reason for the upgrade.