Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT

With my pin weight at 2,400#, my gross is 14,200#. That's 200# over.

That's the reason for the upgrade.
I know the feeling, im running 2600 pin 11,800 at the rear axles. Right now, everything is in specs except the 5er gvwr. Think im about 200-400 over

Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I have had 2 Forest River 5th wheels and Liked both of them. They may not be top of the line, but if I was to get another fiver I would be considering the Wildcat with rear kitchen. I have a Jayco Designer right now. All trailers have there detractors those who have had problems and those who have not. BTW Warren Buffet is the Major stock holder in Forest River. Check the Forest River Owners Forum. You will find the same Displeased people about Keystone and any other brand.

X2 (agree)

Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Ok so who are the higher end manufacturers THAT ARE STILL IN BUSINESS? All I ever seem to hear is that best made are orphans.
Drv, New Horizons, and Excel
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
We're on our 2nd FR. Both Cardinals. First one was too small (3100 RK) and now have a 3150RL. Both had a couple of typical warranty issues that the dealer handled quickly.
BUT
FR uses axles that are too light. I've upgraded mine to 7k and feel more comfortable while on the road.
My Cedar Creek came w/7000 lb axles standard.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #33

I think that the upper middle of the fifth wheel market (pinnacle,cedar creek, montana, big horn etc) make good value for the money rigs and are just small a downgrade from the high end 5'vers (imho).
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Ok so who are the higher end manufacturers THAT ARE STILL IN BUSINESS? All I ever seem to hear is that best made are orphans.
Excel also makes their own frames. I do think that how you are going to use your fiver can make the biggest difference in how it will hold up for you. Forget the appliances and that sort of thing, as they are essentially all made by the same handful of companys. Here is a copy of a response I had made recently to someone else in this same type of discussion.

We have FTed now for 5 years. I do agree with the comment that you can FT in just about anything, and there are people that do. But I think the thing that is truly an issue is the difference in wear that FTing can have. It makes complete sense when you think about it. Using the rig for 7 or 8 weeks during the year, using it for snowbirding, where you live in it for 4 or 5 months, and it only gets pulled back and forth to and from the snowbird destination. These are all significantly different use patterns than 365 days a year, 24/7, running all over the country all the time.

365/24/7 is where heavy duty residential carpeting and pad, solid wood cabinetry, heavy,well built frames/suspension all make a difference. You can usually notice this on the inside of a rig if you look at some used models. Generally, solid wood cabinetry will still look good years down the road, vinyl wrapped or lower end, "contact type" paper covered-will show its life. Low end chassis, "think 10" Ibeam," tend to commonly be the ones people are having bent frame issues if they get in some of the frost heaves or pot holes you come across on your travels.

We just recently traded, primarily because we made the mistake of looking at some new rigs and got the "new bug". Our last rig was an Excel. As we shopped this last winter, we eventually narrowed our choices down to 3 manufacturers in our range, that we felt suited our FT needs. DRV, NuWa, and Excel. In the end, we ended up ordering a new Excel. But I think any of the three would have held up to our uses. There were two things that eventually tipped the scales for us. One that we could compare, and one that we couldn't.

My DW fell in love with the floor plan in our new rig-and we couldn't quite duplicate it in the other 2. The thing we couldn't compare is the factory support and service as we only experienced it with Excel. As we had 3 other RV's prior to going FTing, we could compare with these SOB's, but none of them were the above three manufacturers. Its not to say that we didn't have a problem or two with our 2008 Excel, we did. But we always had immediate support at the factory, they would overnight parts if needed, authorized a repair where we were at if no dealer nearby, and just generally provide support like we had never experienced. And this is not to say that the other manufacturers are not able to do exactly the same thing, they may in fact. But we ended up going with a known--incredible support and service.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #35

Factory visit

I returned home last night from a factory visit to New Horizons and i am thoroughly impressed. This is a high end builder. I spent about 3 hours after the tour detailing changes I wanted made to the 38' model I had chosen. They are, for instance removing the king bed and extending the slide to accomadate a twin bed in the slide running the length of the trailer. They are removing the vanity on the other side, extending the slide and installing another twin bed. My wife died about 18 months ago and my daughter who is MR (mentally impaired) lives with me and will be traveling extensively with me.

The thing is that they will make ANY changes you want to the 5er, unless it would be a safety risk. The company builds about 3 units per month and each is built as well as it is possible to build a 5er. Their QC is impeccable and they are a joy to work with. This is a good family owned and run business that is backed by a family that follows Biblical principles.

The fit and finish of the final product is excellent and to me the most astonishing thing is you have total control over the design and layout of your unit. They sell only factory direct. Their products are, compared to the market very expensive but what you end up withis a 5er that you can tow for years with an absolute minimum of worry.

I have owned a number of other units of every size and shape, except a MH. I am well versed in all of the major and minor problems that can crop up.

I do not work for New Horizons and have no connections except to look forward to towing my new trailer.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vworks View Post
I returned home last night from a factory visit to New Horizons and i am thoroughly impressed................ The thing is that they will make ANY changes you want to the 5er, unless it would be a safety risk. The company builds about 3 units per month and each is built as well as it is possible to build a 5er. ..................
I've heard many good things about New Horizons. Based on your experience, is their out the door price consistent with what is basically a hand-built product, or are they competitive with other higher end mfgrs. who build more units?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie

I've heard many good things about New Horizons. Based on your experience, is their out the door price consistent with what is basically a hand-built product, or are they competitive with other higher end mfgrs. who build more units?
They are expensive. A 38' will cost somewhere near $160,000 MSRP, but i feel they will deal with you. Many of the extra cost items on a DRV are standard. The frame is extremely well built. The Mor-Ryd is standard and you can get disc brakes with an ABM system. I will also add a Trailer Saver as my fifth-wheel to further improve the ride. From what i can see the cost of a New Horizons will be about 10-15k above the Elite Suites and it is not cookie-cutter assembled.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #38

We have a 2011 cardinal 3425. The workmanship has not lived up to our expectations. There were bolts left out of the bracket under the slide.
The " GFCI" kept tripping replaced it 4 times till Finially found the problem,dealer no
Help. Wire under the slide in the rear had a piece of aluminum Wedged against it,
Was cut. Would not trip all the time, which made it hard to find. The aluminum
Piece was just used to plug a hole and held in by 2 screws and foam insl.
The interior trim keeps coming loose had to retail and " GORILLA GLUE "!!!
Guess I needed to make a list.
On the way to CHANUTE,KS. to look at the H.H.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #39

If an RV suits its the right one. Things can be repaired.
Wildcats are nice, well priced units that are smaller, lower profile and great weekenders.
We have the BC, because it was simple, double glased, and zero F construction, and we do have to spend times in low temp also. The price was right and we made it our own. after 15K miles and 3 years of full timing it's still good as new. The higher end Big Horns and Landmarks with same frames and axles were to heavy for my truck. We do not party in it and have animals so our civilized friends do enjoy our condo that is a well build as any 5th wheel I have seen a RV Shows.

My pet peave is stay away from the high priced ultralites, they are garbage, and do not tow any easier. After 55mph front drag is the determining factor and not the weight. Besides these big lite trailers are said to be towed by lite trucks, and actualy dangerously lite.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #40

The problems in the Rv industry are across the board. The more expensive units have better attention to detail and somewhat better construction techniques. But they also suffer from little competition in components. Until recently there were about 300 Rv manufactures in the US. How much engineering can go into an Rv which is produced at the rate of 3 per month? ( New Horizons for example)
We have friends with a New Horizons. It is a few years older than our Kountry Star. It has suffered it's share of issues. Most of the appliances have broke, some multiple times. They have had slide issues and a pretty serious construction problem. They have had water leaks. Axle problems. In long term durability I would not say their unit is any better than ours which has also seen many of the same problems.
Nothing will change in the Rv industry until the scale of production per manufacturer allows them to engineer the construction in a manor that maximizes quality and still allows profit. Until component manufactures are held accountable for their quality. But most importantly, when the consumers get over their love of glitz and floorplans and quit making excuses for the poor quality in the Rv industry. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I bought a 2006 Wildcat almost 3 years ago. It has done very well and I took it on a 10 month trip from Florida to Alaska and back and it did very well. I would not hesitate to buy another Wildcat. That said there are always some that are going to be trouble as with any brand. Is it the luck of the draw? Maybe, but as with anything you buy, you can get the lemon.
This brings to mind what we use to say about car manufacturer's. Never buy a car that is made at the factory on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday. Always buy one made in the middle of the week, preferably on a Wednesday. I wonder if that holds true for RV's. I had a person who worked for me that worked in a Automobile plant in California who told me that he and his co workers would come in Drunk or hung over from partying all week end on a Monday and sobered up on Tuesday. by Wednesday they could do their job right. By Thursday they were thinking of the weekend and by Friday were only thinking about partying. This is why executive cars are always made during mid week and mostly on a Wednesday.
Mel
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
I have serious doubts that workers building cars are showing up drunk and hung over given the comptative nature of the industry and the awareness of substance abuse and treatment options supported by companies. I think showing up hammered is likely from a bygone era. Todays computer building and QC makes the statement that workers are hammered for most of the week unlikely. I think with RVs there is a serious competition for your RV dollars. There is also a balance that is struck for a RV that meets with the consumers expectation providing a good rig with a margin for profit for the company. I remember my aunts TT in the 70's and I can tell you my rig is bigger and better built than anything that was built in that era. And in 25 years the rigs will be better buillt than today. We have a 327 RES cougar and we love the interior layout and finishings. I know there are 160 k rigs out there but I am completely satisfied with my rig, the minor warranty work that the company completed and so far.....how the rig is performing.