Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Forest River Fifth Wheels

Thinking about getiing a Wildcat. But just came across Pissed Consumer website that just ran Forest River into the ground checked about Keystone not as bad but still scarey.
Anybody have an idea we are ready to buy but know abit scared.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have had 2 Forest River 5th wheels and Liked both of them. They may not be top of the line, but if I was to get another fiver I would be considering the Wildcat with rear kitchen. I have a Jayco Designer right now. All trailers have there detractors those who have had problems and those who have not. BTW Warren Buffet is the Major stock holder in Forest River. Check the Forest River Owners Forum. You will find the same Displeased people about Keystone and any other brand.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

If you haven't already done so, check out this website:
Wildcat - Forest River Forums
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Although it's not a fifth wheel we have a forest river Cherokee Grey wolf trailer and we really like it. we have had no issues what so ever with ours, in fact we just got back last week from a 700 mile round trip to Custer,SD. When we started our search to upgrade we had selected another Forest river fifth wheel but due to layout and options as of now we are looking at something else. When We looked at ONE wildcat fifth wheel there were two concerns I had with it, One was some (a lot) of the welds on the aluminum frame were burnt through and looked like only one little bead holding it together, the second was the floor between the bedroom and bathroom felt spongy so we passed. Again this was only ONE we had looked at.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

I bought a 2006 Wildcat almost 3 years ago. It has done very well and I took it on a 10 month trip from Florida to Alaska and back and it did very well. I would not hesitate to buy another Wildcat. That said there are always some that are going to be trouble as with any brand. Is it the luck of the draw? Maybe, but as with anything you buy, you can get the lemon.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ. Love every aspect of it. Sure i have had the normal issues for warranty work but one issue i did have, the dealer couldnt get me in for 3 weeks. I called FR and as i was passing through Indiana anyway....they brought me into their factory to fix it. Couldn't have been more helpdul and accommodating!!!!!
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Forest River and Keystone are both low end manufacturers. At their price range that is what you are going to get. They work for some people. You just need to think if that is what you want and or can afford.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

First off I'm not a brand basher as I have owned a Fleetwood/Skyline and my current Thor product which were all 5th wheel trailers. I would buy another if I needed one and the floorplan was right.

You can insert any 5th wheel trailer name in place of the FR or Keystone and do a google. You can find customers complaints of all kinds.

Same with your brand of tow vehicle.

I don't have a FR product or Keystone product nor have I ever owned one. They have entry level units and higher quality units depending on the product you buy.

My advise is chose the floorplan you like within your price range and go camping or RVing whichever the case.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

The Rv industry knows that most Rvers are more concerned with floorplans than quality. Most of the low end manufactuers make more expensive low end models by adding upper end features and glitz but use the same low end construction. Again, it doesen't hurt to go in with your eyes open.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

Ok so who are the higher end manufacturers THAT ARE STILL IN BUSINESS? All I ever seem to hear is that best made are orphans.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #11

Purchased a FR Coachmen Brookstone in February. Moved it from Boise to Forks,WA to storage. Got it out in April, took it to Indiana, then to Montana and now in Alaska. Have had some warranty issues but nothing that has not been dealt with. So far we are very happy with it.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will generally have issues to varying degrees with any RV. Remember that the Wildcat is an entry level trailer and it is built pretty inexpensively.

I feel you will be better off to buy a 3 to 5 year old higher end RV than a new entry level.

Ken
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #13

We bought a wildcat last September. It is our first Rv. When we bought it I didn't know if it was top of the line, bottom of the line or anything. We have taken it on a 3,000 mile trip and a 1500 mile trip and are quite happy with it. We are planning to take it to Alaska next summer.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #14

According to the mod,
there are no new high-end models on the market, only used. Did I read that correctly?