Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Frame Failure

Hello All
I have been full-timing in my 06 Thor Jazz 2980BH for nearly 7yrs now, & have traveled as far North as Fairbanks, Alaska & as far South as Mexico.
Anyhow I've been on all types of rough road including the Frost Heaves in Canada. Recently while traveling up the Oregon Coast, I hit some real rough areas. Didn't think too much about it till I noticed both wheels on one side were slightly extended past the skirting. Upon a closer inspection I found the frame has twisted on both sides at the spring supports. All 6 supports have twisted with the center pivot point being the worst. Not sure which frame I have, but since this is home, can it be repaired?
wkndwaryrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

Xontact your inaurance carrier. Possibly a truck repair shop might be able to straighten the frame for you. Sadly after that it is very likely you will start seeing cracks in the body structure.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your serious discovery. A couple of pics would be interesting if you take any. So the axles shifted, assuming the extended wheels on one side indicated the other side was near rubbing on the other side? Hopefully you'll be able to find resolve.
Any idea what your running weight is? Standard ride height, axles above or below the springs?

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Angry

Will be contacting Ins Co tomorrow. Already found crack in slide & floor seems to be affected. Shift has moved both axles about 1.5", but not rubbing yet. Looks like as the I Beam frame twists, the floor base plates are moving accordingly. Entry door now binding. Bad feeling that this is terminal last weigh-in was 11,800. Axles are below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0828161549.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	137422   Click image for larger version

Name:	0828161549a.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	137423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0828161549b.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	137424   Click image for larger version

Name:	0828161550b.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	137425  

Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #5

From your pictures it of what I can see, I think you have a Lippert Frame but I could be wrong. I have heard of this happening before on different trailer manufacturers and a Lippert Frame. The one I had seen the small gussets failed where they mounted shackle hangers. Don't know if that's what happened to yours. Sometimes it also ruins the axles. I would double check it a Lippert frame, then call them. They may fix it for you if they determine their product failed. Can't hurt to try. Insurance may total it since it's a 2006 model, but you never know what they'll do. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:44 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can see that someone installed spacers between the springs and the axles to raise the unit, this puts added stress on the suspension mounting points. I would doubt very much that Lippert or any other manufacturer would repair under warranty this because of the modifications. Just about anything can be fixed if you find the right shop and have enough money, it boils down to finding the right shop and is it worth the expense.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #7

That lift using spacer blocks definitely takes any liability off the manufacturer. The best way to lift a trailer is with a subframe, but too late now. Looks like both I beams have twisted in the same direction indicating too much side forces. Also the bottom flange of the I beam is probably cracked from the vertical web. As stated, with time and money it can be repaired and the spacers removed and a sub frame added with extra cross members to prevent future I beam twist. All suspension components need to be replaced. Tires look to be worn and with minimal tread depth put more stress on the frame. Good luck.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Thanx for all the replies. The spacers were added some time ago, but that is a whole story in itself. At this point I'm just hoping to get some resolve thru in Insurance Co even if they total it..............
Old 09-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #9

I welded a3x6" x6' piece of 3/8" thick angle iron on the outside of the I beam frame . Also installed disc brakes . Took trip to Wi. & back with on frame problems. I have a past Post to see Pics on what I've done Did have to remove the whole bottom of the trailer & replaced it with 1/4' Plastic. Good Luck Hal 2006 36' Landmark . Post was Earlier this year.
Halwiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #10

My 07 cedar Creek had frame failure. Progressive paid me out exactly what I paid for it when I purchased it. If you haven't already had the adjuster out try to remove any modifications. My I beam itself bent,twisted and cracked
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

Have had a long time, reputable truck & trailer frame shop do a thorough inspection of my rig. His very first comment was that the frame was too light for the rig. He made no indications the 1 1/2" spacers came into play, but said the repairs would exceed the value of the RV. Hopefully I can reach an agreement with the Ins Co. Thanx to all for the input.......
Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwaryrs View Post
At this point I'm just hoping to get some resolve thru in Insurance Co even if they total it..............
I don't understand why this would be an Insurance Issue?

Do you have a maintenance policy or just a accident and liability policy?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post

I agree and I don't think insurance or a service policy will cover it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post

Comprehensive coverage maybe?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame