Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Freezer barely below freezing !

Hi everyone ! I own a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle REQS which has the double Norcold Refrigerator/Freezer. Ever since we bought it when we make ice it takes about 3 days to make 4 trays of ice. We have put up with this for 4 years now but I am curious if this is "normal". I understand that of course when you just load up the freezer it can take some time to cool or freeze food but this happens even when everything in the freezer is frozen and even when the doors are not constantly being opened. I do have a 7 year warranty so I am considering calling the dealer to service or replace the unit. Anyone else have this problem ? Thank you.
Pete61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

No, mine had trouble getting some things frozen hard (like quality ice cream and some high fat meats, such as sausage), but it had an ice maker and cranked out more than we could use.

It finally bought the farm 18 months ago and was replaced by a residential which is larger inside and does a much better job overall.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I ordered our 2014 Lifestyle with the Norcold 4 door fridge. Turned out to be a waste of money. Yanked it out and replaced it with a Samsung residential fridge. Tons more room and cools down to the proper temps in 3 hours or less.
I know this does not help you fix your current issue. RV refrigerators can do the job but seem so fickle. I know many will disagree and say that they are great and do a good job.
However, in every RV I've owned (8) the fridge has been an issue at one point or another. In the very least, cooling consistency an issue.
You can buy 3 or 4 residential fridges for the cost of one new Norcold 4 door unit. I'm done!
If you can't find a satisfactorily resolution for yours, seriously consider gong residential. You have the room. The width of the Samsung and others fit perfectly into the space your Norcold takes up.
Again, sorry I don't have a resolution for the issue at hand but just giving you food for thought. Good luck, Phillip
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if I was to purchase a full size residential refrigerator, could I fit it through the 5th wheel entrance door. Perhaps if I was to take the fridge doors off I could then fit it through.
Pete61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Pete you'll have to add the inverter as well if you want your freezer to operate while your driving. We load up on meats and few other things for our residential fridge...and have absolutely no problems. I will never buy another RV without a residential fridge. From the larger bottom freezer, to never running out of ice and the twice filtered water out of the side of the door...a huge plus!!
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, you'll want to keep it close to the same size as the Dometic.
Note, if it's ice that you're after, there are some inexpensive, fast, and relatively cheap ice makers....

A residential upgrade will require and inverter (typically) and often a battery upgrade.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote