Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #1

While plugged in, we lost power and in turn the refridgeratior/freezer turned off. Unfortunatley, we were away from the RV for about a week. Everything went bad!! Now I have a horrendous smell in the freezer from sausage that went bad. What is the best way to get rid of the smell? I've tried baking soda and bleach. Any other suggestions? The refridgerator section is ok, but the freezer is terrible.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

2004 KZ Sportster 40Kx2
StephanieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #2

While plugged in, we lost power and in turn the refridgeratior/freezer turned off. Unfortunatley, we were away from the RV for about a week. Everything went bad!! Now I have a horrendous smell in the freezer from sausage that went bad. What is the best way to get rid of the smell? I've tried baking soda and bleach. Any other suggestions? The refridgerator section is ok, but the freezer is terrible.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

2004 KZ Sportster 40Kx2
Old 10-24-2005, 06:35 AM   #3

Ozone generator?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #4

Once all of the OLD contents were bagged and to the curb, I used a product called Simple green twice over two days and then wiped dry with the fridge off and doors open. I then use something similar with a citrus scent and wipe dry. I also pull the large plastic screw cover inside the freezer and both plastic bins in the bottom of the fridge and clean them too.

Then I call one of my kids to check the smell as I lost my sense of smell a few years ago.

If they don't turn green on the sniff test (LOL), then I am happy!

I clean it with just the citrus before winter storage anmd then again in the spring before it gets turned on and this has worked well for a few years.

Please excuse my ignorance J.J., but what is an ozone generator (other than an electric motor) and how well or how does this work in cleaning foul food in the fridge/freezer?

Mike.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
StephanieW, Welcome to irv2 , I have found that fresh coffee works wonders just place in a small cup and leave, one each compartment, in fridge over winter months or when you defrost it for a few days. We would all like to know what your RV is if you post in your sig-profile we will know for future ?'s. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #6

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will try the coffee. Someone also mentioned newspaper will absorb the odor as well as pure vanilla extract. We are getting ready to head out on a trip in a few days, so I need to get the smell outa there!

As for our RV, we have a K-Z Sportster 40Kx2. We spend the summer using the RV as our weekend getaway in Lake Havasu at the Islander RV Resort. The winter months we load up the garage with ATV's and head out to the sand dunes.

2004 KZ Sportster 40Kx2
Old 10-24-2005, 03:20 PM   #7

Try Baking soda in abox & leave the box open in the fridge. Also try sheets of bounce. They work for me.

Reg
Old 11-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #8

I have used Clorox cleanup on some problem odors and general cleaning. It has a bleach base so it will deal with stains and any germs leftover from the spoiled meat.It sounds a little harsh but I have never had any ill results from the use. Just stay away from abrasives.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote