Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Fresh Water Tank and more

Hi all. I used my fresh water tank during the winter to keep from having to buy heated hose or heat tape etc. Now that it's warming up what do I need to do to my water tank? Drain and leave empty? Put some kind of treatment in it? Don't want to deal with a rancid tank next November.

Also, on a completely different note, I fully don't expect my ducted AC to cool my whole 5er this summer but weirdly my unit didn't even come with as much as a vent in the bedroom and we've wound up here taking care of my parents and are parked against a light colored unshaded house on the southern end.

How difficult, as a diy project do you think it would be to install an ac in the br knowing I'd have to cut out the opening, run electric and so on? I'm pretty handy. Just wonder about cutting the opening and where I'd pull the power from.

Thanks for any help in advance.

bigdave720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Appalachian Campers
If you're not going to use your fresh tank at all then drain it and leave it be. This fall sanitize it and use as normal. Methods vary, I'll leave it up to you as I've been harassed about my method.

As for AC, I'd get one of the units below and run the duct out a window if I could or install a dryer vent. I don't know about the walls supporting the unit, but I know this would be easier if you have the room.

Portable Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners & Coolers - Heating, Venting & CoolingÂ*at The Home Depot - Tablet

2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Some fivers will have the electrical run for a 2nd AC in the bedroom--it usually fits in the same space as the ceiling vent. Might want to check with the mfg to see if they ran the wires, just in case.
Fresh water tank--just use a hose from a house spigot for water while you are there. I sanitize my tank beginning each year by filling with city water that has chlorine in it--fill it, drain it, and fill for travel. Has worked well for us for many years.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Agree to just drain the fresh water tank using a low point drain. Remove the drain plug for the hot water heater and just drain it.

Before using your rig again I use a low ratio mixture of bleach and water. I fill the fresh water tank and let it set over night. Then drain the next day. This sanitizes the tank. Oh forgot, with the bleach mixture in the tank I turn on all facets to get the mixture into the water lines.

A/C units...It would make me quesy to cut a hole into the roof. Then how to wire? That just seems like a big project to me.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, water, tank