Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Fridge/Freezer/Oven Temps

Hello, I am a brand new 5th Wheel owner. Living in RI we wont get to use it for a little longer but I had some questions. Does your fridge stay cold enough for like pops or ice cream? Do you recommend using the fridge for a few things but keeping coolers for most of it? and does the oven normally cook at the right temps? I know obviously if something is wrong with them it wouldn't but for a good working order 5th wheel with a 50amp site should it be cool enough and hot enough?? Thank you so much!

csweet06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
We keep ice cream in ours all the time along with ice cubes. I have a small B/D refrig I use for drinks and extra milk.
We do not have any problems with our Magic Chef over. Only thing I did was add an ignitor for the oven.

cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Our frig and oven work well. That said, if the sun is beating down on the side our frig is on, and it's 100* outside, the frig will really struggle. We do keep ice cubes and ice cream in the freezer.

Disclaimer: performance will vary from rig-to-rig. I have read many posts on this forum and others about some having a problems with their frig or oven.

'05 NuWa 29.5 lktg HitchHiker II
'05 Chev 3500 4X4 Crew LB SRW Duramax/Alison
jamvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Our fridge/freezer works well. Do have to adjust temp setting in hot weather. Always have ice cream and ice cubes in the freezer. Our microwave/convection oven is not great. We are on our third one under warranty and the convection temp is about 100 degrees lower than the set temp and the microwave does not heat as fast as it should either. If we have to replace it again, we will get some other brand (not Dometic).
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Refrigerators should cool just like a residential when working and installed properly. The oven, same thing. If all is right, then yes.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
In Rhode Island, the fridge should work well all year long. As mentioned above, sometimes in high heat, it can affect the efficiency.
You did not mention what RV you have--if the fridge is in a slide, that is a little harder to keep working right in high heat, as there are side vents only, no top vent. May need exhaust fans to remove heat.
Some RV fridges keep ice cream very well--others may just keep it soft, but cold. Having ice cubes is usually not a problem, but hard ice cream may.
Ovens work well, but they aren't as good as the home units.
All of the appliances just take a little getting used to--they aren't as big or efficient as the residential units.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Refrigerators should cool just like a residential when working and installed properly. The oven, same thing. If all is right, then yes.
I completely agree! We have used an RV fridge since the 80s with no problems...kept ice in it (I buy a bag of ice and stick it in the freezer for 'happy hour') and if the bag of ice gets a bit warm in transit from the store to the fridge it will then freeze into a big 'lump'! I have a thermometer in both the freezer and the fridge and all works great.

The oven is just a small gas oven...we have used ours over the years but generally use the stove top and rarely the oven. It still works when we turn it on.

I would say don't expect appliance problems...

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
gas appliances

RV appliances generally are the same efficient if not better than a household appliance. In ours I instantly clean vents and take temps every year. We have a magic chef 4 burner and I did remove it and rebuild it based on the fact it wasnt clean enough for the Mrs . But it bakes as a house oven and cooks great on top. The fridge I removed for a bigger double door and the old gas fridge is in my shop. It keeps things perfectly cold and my shop isnt air conditioned. The biggest thing is maintain and clean to keep a RV functioning.
Thanks, Jon

jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote