Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
M2D

Fridge in slide

We are still studying fivers. My current question concern having the fridge in a slide. I think that I read somewhere here that a fridge's ventilation can be affected by being in a slide.

How about having the weight of the fridge in a slide especially if the slide is a large one? Does it cause problems for opening and closing the slide?

Just seems as though some layouts that appeal have the fridge in a slide.

Thank you,

Michele

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a floorplan like that- we liked it alot. If you like it, don't let it bother you. Most of the fridges in slides have an extra vent outside to help dissipate heat. I also installed an aftermarket fan back there but it hardly ever came on. Enjoy the rig!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2

Regardless of what brand refer or where the upper vent is they all seem to benefit from additional airflow.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

Had a Dometic fridge in our drv on a slide. It did not cool good in summer. I had to add fans for extra ventilation to get it cool. I also had to turn fans off in winter to get it cool. Have a residential in our Teton and it is great. Doesn't require venting.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Our '10 Montana has it's refer in a slide, but there's a fan built in. First time I noticed it was last spring and I heard this noise (AC wasn't running) coming from the thing. It's true that top vent ones will work better w/o any fans, but we've not noticed any difference in cooling with this one. They still take forever to get cold, but work great once there.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

I havd the refer in the slide. The humm of the fan is very annoying on a quiet night.

I may replace the noisy humming fan with a brushless fan from Radio Shack. Anyone else do this?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

all mine were the brushless type. They can be heard though. never heard a quite fan if it moved much air.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

The fridge in my Bighorn 5 th wheel is in one of the slides. It has two vents and has been working fine in the 2 years we have owned it.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

I should add we are full time also
Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #10

The refr there is no big deal. IF the manufacturer installs everything correctly, there will not be issues.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

We looked at a bunch of 5vers before we decided on our alpine. I think everyone that we looked at had the fridge in the slide out. Only had ours on a few trips, but no problems.

I always heard you didn't want your sink in a slide out, most are on islands. Good luck with your search, happy camping. Stay safe.

Bud
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #12

We've got most of our kitchen (fridge, sink, stove, cabinets) on a slide, as well as our stacking washer and dryer. No problems so far.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
We also have our fridge and stove in the slide out.....No problems in 4 years.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #14

My Norcold is in the slide. It keeps ice cream. It has built in vent fans. Even on the beach in the Florida sum, May to August, sun beating on the side most of the day, it works perfectly.

Tags
fridge, slide