Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #71

Nice thread. Thanks for posting Dogpatch ! We are in the same boat sort of,,, looking to sell our smaller class A , just bought my first "new" vehicle , a 2015 Silverado 2500 deisel, so we can someday get a 5th wheel or TT. I continue to learn bunches from the good people on this site. Thankyou !!! Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #72
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Nice thread. Thanks for posting Dogpatch ! We are in the same boat sort of,,, looking to sell our smaller class A , just bought my first "new" vehicle , a 2015 Silverado 2500 deisel, so we can someday get a 5th wheel or TT. I continue to learn bunches from the good people on this site. Thankyou !!! Monkey
Thanks. The nice thing about this thread is it carried through from an idea to fruition. I learned a ton of info already (and continue to learn). I belong to a Turbo Diesel Forum and learned a lot about the truck there as well as here.

iRV2 has always been a great source for me and my questions!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

Now the truck, I've upgraded to the 2015 Ram 6.7 litre Diesel Laramie 4x4. It drives like a Cadillac, fully loaded with virtually every option. It blows the doors off any coach cabin set up I've owned.
I feel safer driving this truck, more comfortable, it tows our 16,000 lb 5th wheel like it's not even there. All maintenance is covered by warranty.
If you think a diesel pick up drives like a Cadillac and you're unaware of the presence of a large trailer behind you to boot I'm forced to look askance at your judgement.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #74
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
If you think a diesel pick up drives like a Cadillac and you're unaware of the presence of a large trailer behind you to boot I'm forced to look askance at your judgement.
Hahahaha! Okay....so the ride is a little stiffer than a Cadillac. I should have said "Has the amenities of a Cadillac". The Laramie is a Very well appointed truck!

As for not knowing the fifth wheel is there, I refer to the truck not knowing because it pulls it like it wasn't there. The Ram 3500 Cummins is a beast for power and torque.

I'm certainly cognizant of what I have going on! LOL
Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #75
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I can understand Dogpatch's enthusiasm about his new setup. I had 9 years with 2 motorhomes, one gas and one diesel, both of which were horrible to drive. Only after applying some band aid type and costly aftermarket equipment could I actually feel a little bit in control in all kinds of driving situations. Don't assume I think all motorhomes drive poorly as I know they don't. I probably bought too low on the food chain to get a good one.

Anyway, most of the time right out of the box all the handling and driving issues disappear with a balanced fifth wheel and a well matched truck. Even though our first truck was a little under matched for the Winslow it still had great road manners. The new dually is even better.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #76

Come down l -5 in S cal and your suspension will really get a workout . Crap roads they won't fix because they are spending $60 billion on a stupid train no one wants from LA to the Bay. That's why our idiot gov was called moon beam when these fools elected him back in the 70s
Old 11-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Come down l -5 in S cal and your suspension will really get a workout . Crap roads they won't fix because they are spending $60 billion on a stupid train no one wants from LA to the Bay. That's why our idiot gov was called moon beam when these fools elected him back in the 70s

Yeah, I was in Cal this past summer and I was completely suprised at how bad the roads were. There was a streach northeast of LA (one of the 10s I think) where I tried driving on the right apron just to be able to go 50 MPH or more. A very tough place to tow a big trailer.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #78

Pretty pathatic they can't even use the winter weather as an excuse. We passed a fuel tax proposition afew years ago, but the scumbag politicians raid it and put it into the general fund to pay for all thier social programs.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #79

We really like our set-up for traveling. Drives very smoothly and the Duramax-Allison combo is excellent. Pulled the rig over the high passes in Colorado enroute to Moab and then back to Gunnison and finally to Mesa Verde. My wife drove at least half of the trip without any issues, the exhaust braking made the downhills very safe and manageable.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
We really like our set-up for traveling. Drives very smoothly and the Duramax-Allison combo is excellent. Pulled the rig over the high passes in Colorado enroute to Moab and then back to Gunnison and finally to Mesa Verde. My wife drove at least half of the trip without any issues, the exhaust braking made the downhills very safe and manageable.
Very glad to hear that as I just put us back in debt on a 2015 Silverado Duramax... Will be selling our smaller class A and getting a TT or medium 5th wheel... Thanks for your input...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #81

Congratulations. I test drove all three brands and felt, as did my wife, that the GMC 3500HD Crew Cab Duramax with dual rear wheels and long bed had the best ride. She insisted on the heated and cooled leather seats and they are very comfortable. I would suggest a 5th wheel for ease of pulling and comfort while driving. Buy a good used unit, put some light truck tires on it and enjoy the trip. We bought a 2011 used and saved half off of the MSRP and the unit is like new. Immediately put Goodyear LT tires in place of the chinese tires and will install new shocks this winter.

Again, congratulations and enjoy your adventures!
Roger "Helipilot"

Edit to add: Thanks for your service Cav! 101st here, two tours in Nam working with the Cav.

Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a