Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Romanichel

I had a F250 sd 2001 cc 7.3 diesel and pulled my 2004 36TK3 MS with no problems. I added 5000 lbs. air bags on the rear axle and had no problem with the load. I wanted to get an other truck due to needing 4x4. So I found a F350 4x4 cc 2002 dually with 7.3 diesel and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I'm also thinking I will install 5000 lbs. air bags on this truck also before I go fulltiming. The three years of camping with my 2001 F250 pulling my 36tk3 MS experience no problems towing or braking. I didn't pull any mountains so I can not give any input on how it would of handled the upgrades and down grades. The largest thing I crossed was the Baton Rouge Bridge and had no problems up or down. Good luck on your venture and Happy Trails!!!!!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

ROMANICHEL...you are getting lots of information here, some very good, some not so good. If you are concerned with staying within your truck's numbers, work them yourself and ignore the "pulls fine" posts. Some of the advice here is given by drivers driving small trucks which are way over their limits...but they "pull fine." Of course they pull fine, you can get the same the drive trains for all diesel pickups, whether they are 3/4 tons or duallies.

There are lots of threads regarding the ramifications should you be in an at fault accident and overweight. I never took that chance and used a dually, then I knew I was okay. Your truck, your money, your decision.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 22 View Post
ROMANICHEL...you are getting lots of information here, some very good, some not so good. If you are concerned with staying within your truck's numbers, work them yourself and ignore the "pulls fine" posts. Some of the advice here is given by drivers driving small trucks which are way over their limits...but they "pull fine." Of course they pull fine, you can get the same the drive trains for all diesel pickups, whether they are 3/4 tons or duallies.

There are lots of threads regarding the ramifications should you be in an at fault accident and overweight. I never took that chance and used a dually, then I knew I was okay. Your truck, your money, your decision.
One of the most straight forward and correct answers I've seen anyone give for an often asked question. Hats off to you.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
One of the most straight forward and correct answers I've seen anyone give for an often asked question. Hats off to you.
Thanks, that's one thing I like about this forum. I made a similar post on the Montana forum, and was barred from posting again, forever. It seems one of the admin folks was driving a 3/4 ton truck pulling a 16k Montana and was way way over weight, and did not like being called on it.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On iRV2, we like to make sure that the rig owner has the proper information to make an educated decision and not based on "I do fine with my Ford Ranger and 40' Teton with rear air bags." Once you have the facts, you can decide to follow the manufacturers rating or ignore it.

Ken
Old 11-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
Own motorhome most of my life, but I am now switching to 5th Wheel for fulltiming, new to 5th Wheeler :I have purchased the Pickup, a Ford 2012 F-250 Heavy Duty We now need to purchased the 5th Wheel, any good suggestion for Fulltiming and around a 60K Budget. Thanks for your help
Before buying, I highly recommend you use this weight calculator to properly and safely match your F250 to a trailer.
Through personal experience, I know that "Pulls just fine" is not acceptable. I towed with a 3/4T pickup, a 10,000# GVW 5er. It was a good match, handled and stopped well. We traded for a larger 5er with an unloaded weight (and it was unloaded) of 11,500#. I towed it home (150mi) and every corner pushed the truck rear around, same with oncoming semi's air wash. It was just plain overloaded!
I bought a Chevy K3500 dually, and towing was once again pleasant and safe.
Congratulations on your new truck!
Your truck is an excellent towing vehicle IF you stay withing it's ratings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Thank you all for your help, much appreciated, but at this time we were able to put a hold on the pickup truck and we are thinking everything over, not sure that once we are set somewere we want to travel around town and do groceries with a large truck, maybe we should return to what we know best and buy a larger motorhome towing a smaller car. !!!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
One more thought, we fulltimed in a Mobile Suites, 38' 2010 model, pulled with a '06 Dodge, 3500, auto transmission. We had a LOT of extra storage room, could have packed in a lot more. The unit was nice, and warrantied for full time, hydraulic 6 point levelers, hydraulic brakes, a huge plus, thermopane windows, two airs, in short, the 'werkz"!
One day, I thought about weight, pulled onto a Pilot weigh platform, GROSS COMBINATION VEHICLE WEIGHT.....just shy of 29,000 pounds.
Scared the bejezers out of us!
Truck pulled fine, stopped good, fuel was around 11 to 13 mpg, not bad at all, but the GCVW, plum scary! Insurance would have had a fit, to say the least.
Traded last September....safe now.
Safety, yours, and others on road...paramount consideration...
Have fun, enjoy the experience...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #23

I am pulling a Keystone Cougar, fairly light weight 36' 5er. I plan on going full time starting sometime next year. Look at the 327RES, it is a very livable floor plan. It is a good option for a smaller, lighter 5th Wheel. Be sure to calculate the weight
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Thank you all for your help, much appreciated, but at this time we were able to put a hold on the pickup truck and we are thinking everything over, not sure that once we are set somewere we want to travel around town and do groceries with a large truck, maybe we should return to what we know best and buy a larger motorhome towing a smaller car. !!!
There are a few limitations with the size of our 1T, CC, LB, dually; like no parking garages, very few places one can parallel park, we often park further from a mall entrance because of size-but that is a good thing, we both can use the exercise. Other than those limitations, we drive our truck every day.
The up-side, no one in a car attempts to bully you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #25

Going to the store just means parking in a different place. Hardly much of an adjustment. I avoid drive-thru's, and that's no sacrifice either. Life is much easier dealing with a single drivetrain than with two, and one can change either the TT or the TV at will.

A 1T dually isn't hard to deal with, and it gives some peace of mind with heavier loads. That said, I think choosing the TT first, and TV second still makes more sense. As in above posts, one needs accurate weight assessments.

And a 5'er is hardly the only choice. As an example, one can have a long look at Airstreams and come away with a TV that is smaller than one needed for a comparable square white box (although for fulltimers, a truck with a covered bed makes for more storage). Plenty of new & used out there.

Take your time.

Good luck

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #26

Quote:
With all these great informative posts you have now scared him back into a MH.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having full-timed in a Travel Supreme 5th wheel that I towed with a dually diesel, I would give the following advice: If you wish to get a bigger, thus heavier 5th wheel, then get the tow vehicle with the biggest towing capacity. You cannot have too much power or braking ability, especially when in the mountains. A 3/4 ton pickup is generally OK with the much smaller 5'ers, but any 5th wheel that has the storage and livability for full-timing requires a larger capacity tow vehicle to be safe and stress-free while towing. Also, the dually has better stability than a single axle truck which translates into dealing with the increased pin weight of the larger 5'ers. Lastly, I would suggest looking into the New Horizon line of fifth wheels. Many fith wheel owners use them for full-timing and find them to be durable and very livable.

Good luck to you!

Bronk
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #28

We are far from the original intend of this post by the originator.
1. He has a F250 and wants to pull a 5th wheel for full timing.
2. I have a feeling a 5th wheel will be much more value and practical for his full timing needs.
3. The unit has to be within the 15600 lbs limit the F250 can pull to be in spec.
4. There are many 5th wheels pulled by F250's in this park that fits his needs and everyone is full timing in them including us.
5. Our Big Country by Heartland has been great for us for the past 3 years and with the drop frame makes it ideal for storing all the stuff required on the road. We have winter, summer, work, sports cloths for 2 people. I carry all the tools required to volonteer for Habitat for Humanity, and to repair my vehicles in my tool box in the truck. The basement in the Heartland lower frame models can hold more then the long box in my truck can ever hold. In addition, we have 2 bikes, 3 kayaks, arts supplies for the wife, sewing machine, 2 guitars and music equipment and more games. There is still room for more in the storage for purchases.
6. Yes he can find the right trailer for his F250 and pull it very safely and economicaly and still enjoy the time in the RV.

Tags
heartland, motorhome