Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Durango382. The 3711 does not have the theater seating that we really like. the FL 5ers must have the theater seating for us. Wife says so lol
Thx
B
Brian M - got that! The 3711FLs DO have one and half seating positions facing the TV directly (in addition to the couches on the side) - one reason I am thinking about trading for it - but not two like your wife wants. (the full seating position facing the TV is a recliner too - she could have that! LOL).
I have to say I am impressed with the quality of workmanship in the Montana's - there's a reason why they're the number one selling brand. Value is quality married with cost - sure, you might find better quality but it will cost more, and sure, you can find less costly, but the quality is going to be a little less. And as the poster after you noted, sometimes you don't see the quality issues "behind the walls" as they say. But one thing I notice as a small but good example of that - Montana uses the hardwood cabinet frames around the doors in addition to the doors themselves, whereas some mfr's use hardwood doors but a soft framework that is actually wrapped with a vinyl so it looks good - but it's not hardwood.
I also like the radiused ceiling vs the flat - although I am not sure why as my motorhome has the flat ceiling and they were quite proud when they went to that from the previous radiused ceiling...
As they say, your mileage may vary...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #44

Montana uses the vinyl also. Very very cheap and ugly. Ours had a bunch of that vinyl pulling away from the biard it was gluded to, and keystone couldn't get the replacment pieces for it at the time.had a 2014 Montana mountaineer 375 fl, and we got rid of it, because it was not up to the task of fulltime use in our opinion. Cheap couches on either side of the front slides were already looking worn out after only 8,000 mi of use. As I said before, that FL is hot up front, and I don't care how people sugar coat it. I had one, and I know exactly what it was like.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Montana uses the vinyl also. Very very cheap and ugly. Ours had a bunch of that vinyl pulling away from the biard it was gluded to, and keystone couldn't get the replacment pieces for it at the time.had a 2014 Montana mountaineer 375 fl, and we got rid of it, because it was not up to the task of fulltime use in our opinion. Cheap couches on either side of the front slides were already looking worn out after only 8,000 mi of use. As I said before, that FL is hot up front, and I don't care how people sugar coat it. I had one, and I know exactly what it was like.
Jammer, I have to call you on this - my 2014 3850FL Montana uses real wood around the cabinet doors, not the vinyl wrapped stuff as you claim.
But although you seem to harbor some strong discontent for Montana and I thought maybe that clouded your judgement, I figured I'd best look into this some more as you sound sincere.
What I realized is that you didn't have a "Montana" - you had a "Montana Mountaineer", and the Mountaineer is NOT the same as a Montana. The Mountaineer is a less-costly version, and they used less costly materials in various places to bring the price point down because some folks think the Montana is too high-priced. 375 FL is a Mountaineer model, not a Montana model - remembering that Montana by itself is a different beast than the Montana Mountaineer, the Montana High Country, or other brands beginning with "Montana".

I suspect your discontent is based on a lot of factors - but whoever sold you that Montana Mountaineer should have explained the differences between it and a "regular" Montana. Who knows, you might have been much happier with a Montana!
Although, you are right that the FL's (all I'm guessing) are a little hotter up front - although even that is somewhat subjective because it can vary a lot dependent upon which direction the trailer is facing regarding the sun and when that sun hits it where...
I start out hotter in late morning, but by late afternoon the rear bedroom is hotter - and it's because the sun hits the front of the living room and the front of the two living slides in the morning, but by afternoon it hits the rear of the bedroom and even with dual pane windows (and the molded cap which means more of an air gap to lessen heat exchange), and with the addition of vinyl rollup shades which block some heat, it still can get pretty hot in the back of that trailer. Thank goodness for the second aircon there... I see Montana's FL plans now have a smaller window in the back, instead of the large window which was more suited to a living room than a bedroom.

BTW - the Montana DOES have vinyl clad door molding (the sculpted molding around the door frames) which I think is a plus - I have a tendency to rub into them when going into the bedroom or bath, as does the dog, and it's far easier to keep the vinyl clean than if it were wood. And, I found the exact shade/color and grain print of molding at HD, so was able to do some modifications that one would think were done by the factory.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #46

I didn't know this. Thanks for that information. Wow! Had wool pulled over my eyes I guess. Very content now though. I inspected every inch of this Landmark for a week before I bought it, and we couldn't be happier. Thank you again . Our Montana Mountaineer only came with 1 13.5 ac unit. I thought that was lame. I had another 13.5 but ac installed, and that helped if you got on it early in the morning and left it on all day.

The Landmark is so well insulated I'm running 2 right now in Florida, and they cycle back and forth from front to back, and keep the inside very comfortable. When I saw it had 3 ac's I knew I'd be happy. I don't think I will need 3 of them, but it's there if I do.

Happy trails.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #47

You might want to take a look at the 2015 Sandpiper 377FLIK. We saw one last month at the Virginia Beach RV Show. The 2 full size couches and a theater seat in the front living room were sweet! There were so many other plus's to this floor plan for full time living:
1. The 2 slides in the living room were high enough that you didn't hit your head when sitting down or standing up.
2. The dinette was in a slide in the kitchen so you didn't have to walk around it.
3. Nice big pantry in the kitchen.
4. Residential refrigerator.
5. A back door so you could get to the bathroom and bedroom while the slides are in.
6. Tons of storage space in the bedroom.
7. Room for a stackable washer and dryer.
But to be honest, now that we've seen the new Luxe models, I can't imagine that the quality of the Sandpipers could compare. Good luck finding your new home!

2014 Cougar 33RES
2012 F-250 Powerstroke

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #48

Our Forest River Cardinal FL should be delivered this month. I HOPE. We have 2 recliners facing the tv. Hubby and I will get to set together to watch tv nice and close. Can't wait to get our new 5er. I'm so tired of this house being a mess and we still have so much to do before putting the house on the market. Will I ever get all this done? Plus now I have to work on TAXES GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Being self employed is a pain at tax time.

I do have a problem though with the new unit. It has vinyl couches and recliners. Problem. Dogs toenails. I'm afraid they will tear up the vinyl. I don't want something that you have to keep straightening like most covers. Once the unit gets here and I can spend some time checking the couches out. I think I may just get some vinyl to put over the vinyl, same color but thicker. Maybe it won't be so obvious. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #49

The Montana Mountaineer line is discontinued. IIRC it's being replaced by the Montana High Country.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The Montana Mountaineer line is discontinued. IIRC it's being replaced by the Montana High Country.
Cumminsfan, you're right about Mountaineer being discontinued, but they are still shipping out units that they had in stock, just as the other Montana lines where they discontinue a particular floorplan but still ship out whatever they already had.

Ramblers, I get a bit nervous about dog nails even with leather - and, I like to contain any shedding so it doesn't work it's way into the couches. I've found some good covers at Kohls, but only ones with long "backs" work as the shorter backs pull off the back after the dog spins a few times "building" his nightly nest on the couch. I also found some very heavy duty cotton denim covers in the FMCA (motorhome) mag, but then I had to have some additional back sewn on because they too came with backs too short. I added three feet to the back and that hangs down low enough where it doesn't pull loose when we make a nest!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #51

Ramblers, I get a bit nervous about dog nails even with leather - and, I like to contain any shedding so it doesn't work it's way into the couches. I've found some good covers at Kohls, but only ones with long "backs" work as the shorter backs pull off the back after the dog spins a few times "building" his nightly nest on the couch. I also found some very heavy duty cotton denim covers in the FMCA (motorhome) mag, but then I had to have some additional back sewn on because they too came with backs too short. I added three feet to the back and that hangs down low enough where it doesn't pull loose when we make a nest!

I have2 shedless dogs. And one that sheds less. But still sheds. Long haired Doxie. Denim is pretty sturdy too. I may have to make my own. Luckily I sew but only for decorating *S* Clothes not so much. I wonder if I can keep them only on one couch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irv2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	88813  
Old 03-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblers View Post
I have2 shedless dogs. And one that sheds less. But still sheds. Long haired Doxie. Denim is pretty sturdy too. I may have to make my own. Luckily I sew but only for decorating *S* Clothes not so much. I wonder if I can keep them only on one couch?
I find that the leather is a bit cold for the dog so he tends to stay only on the coach with the cover.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
I find that the leather is a bit cold for the dog so he tends to stay only on the coach with the cover.
I'm hoping that will be the way it happens. I have a couch and love seat now and they stay on the couch not the love seat. So maybe I can get away with covering only one.

I've never liked vinyl due to the being cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Guess I'll learn to deal with it though.