Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #29

We spend the majority of our time when in the coach in the living room. It's home like. The kitchen is very nice, and the master bath is huge. The 1/2 bath is my favorite part. Very convenient. 3 a/c's if you need it, residential reefer, with inverter, induction stove, and convection oven/ microwave combo. Top of the line tires,8k axles, full body paint, and overall very good quality. It's my 4th trailer, and definitely the best. The bedroom is a bit tight , but still comfortable. Lots of storage.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #30

Wow! I had no idea there were so many front living room rv's! We have our work cut out for us! Thanks everyone! Guess nobody has the Infinity 3750FL. My wife still thinks that's the one for us....but we will definitely be looking at all the models you have suggested!
CJCRLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We have the Redwood 38FL, the rear bedroom is great on a FL model.
It is larger and quieter due to being in the rear of the coach.
Also having the Bedroom, Bathroom and Kitchen on the same level is great for when you get up in the middle of the night to get some water or a snack.
Many people do not like the elevated living room area in a FL, think they would go up and down the stairs too much.

MY wife and I are looking at a Keystone Cougar with a front living room. I see where you and a couple others say it your coach is quieter with the back bedroom. My question is, is the head of your bed in the slide out? It is in the Cougar we are looking at. Wondering if we will hear noises through the slide out walls.
Thanks,
Shaw988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw988 View Post
MY wife and I are looking at a Keystone Cougar with a front living room. I see where you and a couple others say it your coach is quieter with the back bedroom. My question is, is the head of your bed in the slide out? It is in the Cougar we are looking at. Wondering if we will hear noises through the slide out walls.
Thanks,
On the 3850FL Montana (also a Keystone product) the slideouts' outer walls are the same construction as the fixed sidewalls, while the end walls of the slideouts are not the solid foam sandwiched between outer and inner panels in one solid piece, but instead are more of a "hung" wall design, where there are studs and an outer panel with fiberglass between the studs and between the inner and outer panels. Frankly, little difference in noise. The most noise comes through the windows - having dual panes help reduce that, but there's still more noise (and heat and cold) coming through the windows than the walls. And, at least in the Montana, they put a padded naugahyde headboard all the way across the head of the bed that must stop a little more noise.
But coming from a light sleeper, trust me, the bed being in back makes a huge difference in what you hear in a standard park where the front of the trailer is nearest the road. I had actually thought about lining the walls of my previous front bedroom pull-trailer to quiet it before I bought the front living room unit.
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #33

I would agree, our bed is in a slide out and the slide out walls are the same, they are "Hung" type construction, not laminated like the rest of the coach walls.
But in most RV parks we stay in, the bedroom in the rear is much quieter due to its location away from the traffic noise.
There are not many large 5th Wheels where the bed is not in the slide out.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #34

On the Cougar 337FLS you won't be able to change out the front sofas if you want. Look under them and you'll see that they're not normal sofas. There's a box built up under them for the slide mechanism. We also looked at them recently and would want to change the L shape sofa out for a couple recliners. But it's a no go.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
On the Cougar 337FLS you won't be able to change out the front sofas if you want. Look under them and you'll see that they're not normal sofas. There's a box built up under them for the slide mechanism. We also looked at them recently and would want to change the L shape sofa out for a couple recliners. But it's a no go.
This - or some variation of it - might be true with a lot of front living room models. Because the slideouts are in a section of the trailer that has the least height (and because with couches there's no real need otherwise), in the Montana for example altho the mechanism that moves the room in and out is not on the floor, the floor IS not level with the rest of the room. The couches have a fascia along the front of the couch under the cushions that hides the fact the bottom of the rest of the couch sits up four or five inches higher on the floor of the slideout that is also that much higher than the room. I don't think a recliner would work with that.
But - FWIW - some models like the new 3711FL have a recliner built into the section of the "L" shaped couch that is not in the slideout.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #36

JMO but I'd look for an FL that had a theater sofa or recliners directly across from the tv. Most people don't position their furniture at home so you need to turn you head 90* to see the tv. The 337FL is really enticing as the rest of it is really laid out pretty good. I've seen some FL's that don't have decent dinning arrangement. The 337FL has a nice dinning table location as well as good kitchen setup. It's just the seating arrangement in the living room that's a turn off.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
JMO but I'd look for an FL that had a theater sofa or recliners directly across from the tv. Most people don't position their furniture at home so you need to turn you head 90* to see the tv. The 337FL is really enticing as the rest of it is really laid out pretty good. I've seen some FL's that don't have decent dinning arrangement. The 337FL has a nice dinning table location as well as good kitchen setup. It's just the seating arrangement in the living room that's a turn off.
Interesting point - as they say, your mileage may vary.
Having been an RV'er for decades, I suppose the idea that the seating in the living area is most often 90 degrees to the TV is something I'm totally comfortable with. But that is a good point someone who's not used to that configuration, should consider.
And I suppose since my current 3850FL has an L-shaped couch and when I want to sit directly across from the TV I sit on that section, and the 3711FL has even more seating directly across from the TV - I'd suggest that as an option. One reason I am looking to move into the 3711FL is because the 3850FL doesn't have a dining area set off to the side - it's the smallest area of the unit and now they mfr an alternative that works better for me...having the dining area in it's own slideout off the kitchen, allowing for an island which isn't common in a front living room.
The Cougar is a good front living room unit if weight is a concern - I've had Cougar pullers, and they're lighter than similar sized units, allowing for example that FL unit to be pulled behind a gas 3/4 ton pickup. But you do give up some benefits - one being that the living slides are not as deep as in other heavier units (like the 3850 or 3711) so the couches don't go out quite as far, and then the room is not quite as "wide" with the slides out as others.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #38

Durango382
Totally agree. My take on it is if ones looking to go FL then they need to look at the bigger units. The 3711FL is sweet looking FL.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #39

Durango382 have you looked at the Prime Time 3901 FL?? I really like it
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #40

Interesting. Never looked at Prime Time before (well, OK, I used to watch him on TV!)
That floorplan is VERY similar to the 3711FL EXCEPT it lacks one of the two bedroom slideouts - so the bedroom is smaller by nearly three feet in width. I like the extra room in the bedroom because I can put the dog's crate in there - it's out of the way (vs. living room) and still I have lots of room. (he's 65 pounds so the crate is not small) Also, I see the Prime Time unit is a little longer - I like the 3711FL's length too. And I like the "Legacy" molded cap on the Montana's versus the flat back...otherwise, very similar.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 AM   #41

Durango382. The 3711 does not have the theater seating that we really like. the FL 5ers must have the theater seating for us. Wife says so lol
Thx
B
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #42

Brian have you narrowed it down yet? I seen many high end front units, but honestly dollar for dollar and quality of the construction, I really like the Bay Hill 379 and the Redwood 38FL, but again almost every brand has front living area models now. I know a dealer at the Houston show had the Bay Hill 379 with large Residential fridge (side water/ice dispenser), dishwasher, and washer/dryer included for $69k. We went to the Dallas show this year too...I know you mentioned your wife likes the Infinity but Dutchmen builds those, and honestly Dutchmen doesn't build the most structurally sound unit with wiring/plumbing etc. That's where the lower quality units cut back...in the things you CAN'T see. They'll have lots of eye candy on the things you CAN see. You might want to look at the Augusta LUXE....new to the market...and really high end, but not as high priced as you would think. One final thing...shop around the country, don't limit yourself to just your area. If you can save $5-$10k, it would be worth the travel to pick it up.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote