Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

As we shop for a fifth-wheel to full time, we have come across a couple of "Front Living Room" models - notably Montanas, a couple of years old. Who else makes a Front Living Room model? Anyone have one - what are the pros and cons...?

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #2

As we shop for a fifth-wheel to full time, we have come across a couple of "Front Living Room" models - notably Montanas, a couple of years old. Who else makes a Front Living Room model? Anyone have one - what are the pros and cons...?

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #3

many manufacturers now have a front living room floorplan, fleetwood has a new front kitchen floorplan as well.

Holiday rambler Alumascape 35flq

Newmar Cypress 39 rbfl

Crossroads Paradise Pointe
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:51 AM   #4

During our shopping for a new 5er we viewed several front living room models. While different, we decided they are not practical for us. Older folks like us don't want to negotiate stairs every time we want a drink while watching TV,entertaining company, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #5

I could never see the advantage of the front living area. What makes them attractive to folks?
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I side with Ken Lenger on this. While it is something different, I do not see how they fit me. The ones we have looked at, seem to loose a considerable amount of usable storage space. For me storage is very important.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #7

When we were shopping for our current fifth wheel we looked at a couple of front living room models (as well as a front kitchen - Prowler AX-6?) but decided we liked the more traditional layouts better. Our dealer had a Cedar Creek with a front living room on the floor for over a year - he said that everyone thought it was a unique idea, but nobody wanted to buy one. He finally dropped the price way down on it to move it. He said he wouldn't bring another one in unless it was pre-sold. The lesson to us, he pointed out, was that this style of unit probably wouldn't have very good resale value since they were difficult to sell in the first place.

The other thing I noticed about these units is that they all tended to be rather heavy - 15,000# and up (some went as high as 18k# gross). Don't know if it's because of a different type of construction or just that they were large and loaded.

???

I guess it's "to each, his (or her) own"

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The front lounge layout seems to get the "WOW" factor at rv shows & it was something the mfr's tried but they don't seem to be a good seller. They look impressive but aren't practical from a storage standpoint plus the pin wt is much higher on these. Another mfr has entered with a front kitchen layout that I saw at a recent RV show. Don't know that those will sell much either. It's a lot of going up & down stairs while preparing meals to serve outside or just to get a cold beverage out of the fridge. Not my taste.
L-
P.S. Personally I thought rv-ing was to get out & enjoy nature. With these entertainment center based lounges & the indoor fireplaces that now come in several units, we don't really even have to leave our campers. Just tune to OLN on the tv & turn on that fireplace & you've got all the perks of the outdoors without the bugs, noisy neighbors & unpredictable weather.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv goddess:
P.S. Personally I thought rv-ing was to get out & enjoy nature. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sometimes it is. Other times (such as visiting relatives over the holidays), it's about having our own living quarters along with us. In the latter case, the "entertainment-centered" RVs are really quite nice!

I agree about the front living room configurations, however. Those that we examined were woefully short of storage, among other shortcomings!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like the bedroom in front because it kind of separates it from the rest of the living space. But people like different things. It looks fun but I think I would stick with the traditional floor plan.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #11

I guess I'll be the oddball on this thread. We have a 2006 Montana 3685fl front living model http://keystone-montana.com/?page=floorplans#3685fl and love it. Of coarse we're not full timers yet, but do take 3 to 4 week vacations. Storage is adequate for our life style both basement and living quarters. We looked at all the models and liked the interior of the Montana the best. Unfortunately Keystone has discontinued this floor plan for 2007. Low sales I guess.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #12

We have looked and toyed around with the front living room. The reason we thought it would be nice is all you really need would be on the first level if you had any problems one day with stairs. We have been looking and looking and probably will go tradional too.

Have been looking at Montanas, Newmars, and Sunny Brooks. Seen a Mobile Suites Fifth Wheel and boy was it wonderful with a wonderful price too. Shut the door and no outside sound at all. The Montanas and Sunny Brooks have had central vac which I think is nice too.
Happy hunting,
Linda

2006 Cedar Creek 34CKTS
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote