Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Front living room 5ER for 2015 F250 diesel

Shopping for our first 5er for our retirement but will not be full timers. ( approx. 4-5 months a year) DW has some mobility issues and we really like the design of a front living room. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 F250 diesel 6 1/2 foot bed. Of the 5ers I've seen online most exceed my towing capability. We're looking for any suggestions or options for a 5er to choose.

Thx Koop

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #2

What's the tow specs of your F-250?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My guess would be that you won't find a front living room with a pin weight that will keep you at or under your GVWR. your GVWR will be right around 9900# and the truck will weigh at least 8000#, maybe more, remember this is with passengers, hitch, and anything else that you take with you. That will leave you less than 1900# for pin weight, which @20% of GVWR of the trailer leaves a trailer under 9500#GVWR, I don't know of any small light weight units with front living room.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

With just a 3/4 ton F-250 there probably are no front living room models that won't overload your truck.

You bought a new truck before you looked at the trailer? Ugh - what were you thinking? You should buy the trailer 1st then the truck to match.

A F-250 really limits you to the small 5th wheels. But since you will live in it 4 or so months maybe you can find a smaller 32' unit you like.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkoop View Post
Shopping for our first 5er for our retirement but will not be full timers. ( approx. 4-5 months a year) DW has some mobility issues and we really like the design of a front living room. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 F250 diesel 6 1/2 foot bed. Of the 5ers I've seen online most exceed my towing capability. We're looking for any suggestions or options for a 5er to choose.

Thx Koop
My estimate is the 5er you would like to get is too much trailer for your truck. I have been wanting to take a look at the front living room but have not had the chance yet. I do not think there are many around used so anticipate you are thinking about purchasing a new one.

An option may be to take the funds and look for a good used MH. You may be able to find something that better fits your needs. A 5er will have a second set of steps inside the trailer as well as one the size you are thinking of will be quite high off of the ground. Our 41 is 36" to the door.

A MH will be lower to the ground and if you are able to get one on air ride you will be able to lower it a few inches more. Once in all of the floor is pretty much level. Our new coach has a couple inch step up for one of the slides and about a 4" step into the bathroom.

I have seen posts from several people who tow larger trucks behind their motorhome. You may be able to get a coach capable of towing the 250.

Good luck in your quest to go RV'ing.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Due to other issues we need to stay with a f250 SRW. We will be ordering the truck in a couple weeks for delivery in sept. We have no issues with staying under 35 ft but DW was hoping there was one out there that fit our circumstances. From what y'all are saying apparently not. I guess I will pass along the bad news. :(
Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Look at the Keystone Sprinter Wide Body 5th wheel. They offer a front living with a pin weight of less than 1900# and a GVWR of 12,800#.
Model 333FWFLS-WB.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

I read a lot of "guesses" and "probably" which has ended with nothing but doubt in the OP's mind. Why not provide real useful information instead of "opinions" that are not factual?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Thx amxpress will look at that one. Koop
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Try the Keystone Cougar High Country 337FLS.New 2014 Keystone RV Cougar 337FLS Fifth Wheels at Hitch RV Turnersville New Jersey Hitch RV

About the only FL that has a light enough pin weight for a 3/4 ton.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

How is the quality on these trailers. Are they sacrificing weight to get size?

Koop
Old 06-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #12

A lite weight trailer uses lighter weight materials. Quality of construction varies by manufacturer. Keystone makes the Montana, the best selling 5th wheel so I'm told. They must be doing something right.
They're not meant for 4 Season full timing.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

A small heavy trailer like Excel or the mid 2000's NuWa's is better than a large lite one.

Heavy axles, tires, 1/2" roofing instead of 3/8". Thicker flooring extra insulation, make for a better unit.

The truly well built custom rigs weigh too much for even a dually 1 ton.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

With new technology comes lighter weights. Look at Ford and what they're doing with the F150 in going with aluminum in 2015. Same with the RV industry. Lighter weights can be achieved with lighter slide out mechanisms, aluminum framing, honeycomb solid surface counter tops that look like regular Corian but are thinner. You don't need a thick heavy frame if you aren't putting as much weight on it. It's old school thinking as far as needing a 10" frame for every 5'er over 30' long. Build a lighter stronger 5'er and you don't need the thick heavy frames. A normal 30-32' DRV for instance would be round 13-14,000 dry. So yeah you would need a big boxed frame plus 7000lb axles. Take that 30-32' 5e and use light weight materials with weight saving technology and you only need 5200-6000lb axles and a thinner frame. It will last as long because it's not under the same heavy stress as a heavy DVR.

Tags
diesel