Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Question Front living room: Any Cons?

We see nothing than pros for the new FL layouts. We like to have the living area kind of away from the kitchen and the bed at the quieter back end.
Are there any cons we don't realize?

Hudson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one comment I made to a friend when we saw one of these at a show was that I thought it would get old going up and down stairs to get to the door. Kind of an off the cuff remark but that was my thought at the time.

He was a fiver kind of guy and really liked the layout as did I but we own a MH.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
we've had our Stone Ridge 38fl for 6 months. Been out close to 50 nights and over 5k miles. Absolutely love it! Very little we would change. Our previous 2 5th wheels were a conventional rear living and a rear kitchen, center living floor plan, both cardinals. This unit has 5 slides and when they are all open, it makes for an extremely spacious unit. No feeling cramped up at all. Apparently they are getting pretty popular. Seems like most major manufacturers are now offering one and most floor plans are nearly identical. We like the walk thru bath because it really seems like a residential bath instead of being all cooped up. The only drawback is that every one i've seen is that most are around 40 feet long. It's not a problem for me, but i know it would be a dealbreaker for some folks.
brmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Looked at a Redwood and noticed a lack of storage in the underneath compartment compared to other floorplans.
2012 F-350 CC DRW King Ranch
2014 Landmark Savannah
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
We like the front living also. I have not noticed the smaller underneath storage. I will check it out next time I see one. What we like - the living room is cozy and comfortable. The stacked washer/dryer is actually out of the way. The bedroom window and bedroom storage. The 5 slides. The storage in the bathroom as well as the hight of the ceiling. We will probably look real close at FL model for our next 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Excel Owners Club
Excel by Petersen Industries offers a FL In both their Winslow and Limited 5ers. Looks awesome and with their frame design I'm sure the basement is quite sizeable.
Lee, Beth & ObiPup
Didymop (2012 36RKM), pulled by Geronimo (2015 GMC 3500), followed by Beth driving JakeKar (Solara Convertible)
didymop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
I know, there are some really nice FLR-rigs on the market - more are coming for 2013.

Up to now we got:
- storage might be an issue
- some more steps up and down

Where are the cons?
Hudson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Potentially a smaller resale market (if that is a consideration...)
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
We looked at the FLR models and seriously considered getting one. Liked all of the room and the opposing sleeper couches. Changed our mind when we thought about most of the campgrounds we frequent have the view from the back window.
Bob & Lynn
2013 Open Range 424RLS- 2006 Chevy 3500, DRW, Crew, Duramax/Allison- Hensley TS-3, 2-Honda EU2000i 4-6v Golf Cart Batteries, 3 Hua's & memories a great Chow.
3 dog nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #10

We looked at them, however, at our age and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis coupled with Osteoarthritis, the steps were a killer for us. We spend more time going in and out of the "living room", inside, then back outside, outside then inside, couch to refrigerator, etc. and having to go "upstairs" to the living room or "downstairs" to the kitchen, that frequently was a big "no-go" for us. We go to the bedroom once or twice a day, to go to bed or to change clothes if we need it. We go in and out of the "living room" far more frequently. Most of the ones we looked at had the kitchen on the bedroom, main, floor. Don't need to try and balance drinks/food on my wobbly knees trying to get them "upstairs" to the living room The
"spaciousness" of the first floor bedroom isn't important to us; can't tell how big the room is when we are asleep and the smaller "upstairs" bedroom is easier to heat and keep warm when we are spring and fall RVing. We have twin A/C units, one of them in the bedroom, so keeping it cool in the summer isn't an issue. Heat rises, so, I would definitely have twin A/C units if we had an "upstairs" living room to get around the "hot air rises" in the summer problem.

They obviously appeal to many folks, hence the increase in the number of models being built that way, but, not for us. We do most of our "living" in the trailer in the kitchen and living room and want those areas to be the easiest to access and the easiest to move around in.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Cons - your living room is in the smallest part of the trailer. There is not alot of inside storage. Someone told me the FL floor plan was designed and built several years ago and was a flop. The FL units do not come in a 32 or 35 foot length. They are all 40 feet long. Up and down steps much more often ( but this is good exercise). FL units seem to be priced higher than their RL counterparts. The basement storage might be smaller in some units. You miss the views out the back when at a park that has 5th wheels backed around a lake. It is an 'odd' floor plan. It will be interesting to see how many FL models hit the used market in the next 2 - 5 years. But I still like this floor plan. Seems to be a good layout for full time living because of the other spaces too. The Kitchen, Bath, and Bedroom are equal or better spaces than RL models.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #12
Excel Owners Club
Originally Posted by Hudson13 View Post
Up to now we got:
- storage might be an issue
- some more steps up and down

Where are the cons?
The con that pushed us away from a front living room was the decreased ceiling height in the living room.

We came from having a travel trailer and wanted the high ceilings in the living area. The FL models were much like our travel trailer in the living room.
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Every front living area 5er we have seen have a great lack of storage ...closets and drawers.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Many of the Front Living units have the TV in the front Cap with two sofas in the slides. This means you must watch the TV sideways.
My body does not like watching the TV sideways, our RL unit has nice seating directly across from the TV.

Also I am 6' 1" and I also worried about the long term liking the low ceiling in the Front Living models. When I stand up in them I see the top of the slide unit.

Lack of Storage was another concern.

We looked at several FL floorplans but in the end got a standard RL type 5er and have not regreted our choice.

Robert & Bale the Wonder Dog
2014 Redwood 38FL
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote