Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Frustrated....

Well....we cut a trip short, drove a total of 1500 miles to look at a 2016 DRV Fullhouse JX450 that we had a deposit on, only to find two slide floors with soft spots, as well as the patio door. This, after very specifically asking the sales person to carefully check for any slide floor rot. Love the floorplan, but tired of looking for one. We were so ready to buy that we even ordered a new TrailerSaver hitch to haul it home with.

Then, while walking the dogs around the campground, we see a custom Newmar fiver - one of the ones that has the dual wheels on the axles. The owner was proud of it, and invited me in to see it - wow, such nice, high quality, solid woodwork inside. Too bad I can't find something like that in a toyhauler with a good floorplan.
aknavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Well....we cut a trip short, drove a total of 1500 miles to look at a 2016 DRV Fullhouse JX450 that we had a deposit on, only to find two slide floors with soft spots, as well as the patio door. This, after very specifically asking the sales person to carefully check for any slide floor rot. Love the floorplan, but tired of looking for one. We were so ready to buy that we even ordered a new TrailerSaver hitch to haul it home with.

Then, while walking the dogs around the campground, we see a custom Newmar fiver - one of the ones that has the dual wheels on the axles. The owner was proud of it, and invited me in to see it - wow, such nice, high quality, solid woodwork inside. Too bad I can't find something like that in a toyhauler with a good floorplan.
I feel your pain. I've traveled to Florida to buy a motorhome just to have the seller not honor the sales contract. I then traveled to Arizona to buy a motorhome that ended up with a transmission problem. Then to Texas because the salesman tells me there's no leaks on a fifth wheel to find leaks. So I think I found another one in Texas though I'll know for sure next Thursday. I'm in Ohio. Hang in there. I hope you find what you're looking for.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #3

So sorry to read of your bad experience aknavy. Have read about those floor rot and leaky slide issues with later model DRVs. I hope you find just the right one.
All the best,
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are those issues with post 2016 DRVs or before then?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

I know it's a fantasy...but can't you just tell me there's soft spots in the slide out when I ask that specific question? Save us all the hassle?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I know it's a fantasy...but can't you just tell me there's soft spots in the slide out when I ask that specific question? Save us all the hassle?
Salesmen and their rose colored glasses.

"Its fine"
Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Salesmen and their rose colored glasses.

"Its fine"
"Now that you've pointed out all the issues, we're just going to wholesale this trailer"..... Actual words that came out of his mouth.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

Newmar 5th wheel like the Mountain Aire in a toy hauler is the X-Aire. Just some info if it helps you.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

Yeah, just hard to find one in good shape.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Newmar 5th wheel like the Mountain Aire in a toy hauler is the X-Aire. Just some info if it helps you.

Looking at these, they seem to lack some things required for full time - the fridges are tiny, and I don't see an easy way to fix that in their floorplans.

I made the mistake of looking at a Lifestyle Luxury and an Excel today - too bad you can't find anything with that quality now. I've been looking for a Wild Cargo for the last 6 months to no avail. Can only find a 2012, which is lacking a few things - If I could find a 2014 or newer, we might be in business.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #11
JDT

Quote:
Looking at these, they seem to lack some things required for full time - the fridges are tiny, and I don't see an easy way to fix that in their floorplans.

I made the mistake of looking at a Lifestyle Luxury and an Excel today - too bad you can't find anything with that quality now. I've been looking for a Wild Cargo for the last 6 months to no avail. Can only find a 2012, which is lacking a few things - If I could find a 2014 or newer, we might be in business.
Exactly why we are keeping ours. Good luck in finding something that will work for you.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
"Now that you've pointed out all the issues, we're just going to wholesale this trailer"..... Actual words that came out of his mouth.
That is the point at which you get out your check book and write $25,000 on it and hand it to him.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
That is the point at which you get out your check book and write $25,000 on it and hand it to him.
Lol.... I should have done that!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Exactly why we are keeping ours. Good luck in finding something that will work for you.
Yep exactly why we will be keeping our Lifestyle also. I've done some cosmetic changes on the interior to freshen it up. The only thing we can't change is the size of the bathroom (only 1 sink) but otherwise its the perfect RV for us . Nothing on the market these days compares to it.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust