Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

FT Max payload on a 5th wheel

Hi all,
new in the group and my first post , looking for a unit with no more than 35 feet with the maximum payload available that you consider for two grateful retired couple , looking to pair it with a Silverado or Sierra 3500 dually.

Your advise is very very welcome,

Thank you
heli212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

Welcome. Look at Arctic Fox (Northwood). They build their own frames which result in uncommonly high cargo carrying capacity.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Vanleigh makes a Beacon 34'11" 18,000 GVWR 13,000 Dry, payload 5,000. At least that's what they publish on their website.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

It will be hard to beat a 5,000lb cargo capacity. And Vanleigh makes a nice unit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli212 View Post
Hi all,
new in the group and my first post , looking for a unit with no more than 35 feet with the maximum payload available that you consider for two grateful retired couple , looking to pair it with a Silverado or Sierra 3500 dually.

Your advise is very very welcome,

Thank you
Welcome.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Thank you all,
I will follow your advise

Best Regards and have a great day!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #7

Riverstone has one that's close to 5k payload.

Cedar Creek has some that are in the 4k range.

Been looking real hard at this myself, except I want a larger one. Once you get into the big fivers, it becomes hard to find those large payloads.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #8

One needs to be aware of what "dry weight" means. It not only means without water and propane, but can also be without many options. You have to check.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #9

Might not be a bad idea to weigh what you think you'll need in a worse case scenario...might narrow down the selection or actually open it up.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

We just put money down on an Arctic Fox for our upcoming full time adventure. They seemed to have good payload capacity (you'll have to do the math, GVW - Dry Weight). Our research said they make a quality product and will let you perform your own warranty work. Also, they seem to be built for 4 seasons.

That being said, we have never done this before, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I can say with confidence that you'll be much safer with a dually truck. All the big thee diesel trucks got good after 2011. If you like the GMC/Chevy, then get it.
roadcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum.

Imagining your referring to a late model 3500 HD-Max DRW?
You'll not have any issues pulling just about any trailer <36' of your liking. Engine braking is also excellent. I'd suggest if you're going heavier than perhaps 15K GW that hydraulic disc brakes (EoH) are a reassuring trailer option. Your specific truck choice will have a sticker on the B-Pillar stating the gross payload that you'll need to keep your pin weight under.
Enjoy.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 AM   #12

[QUOTE=aknavy;4248563]Riverstone has one that's close to 5k payload.

Cedar Creek has some that are in the 4k range.

Been looking real hard at this myself, except I want a larger one. Once you get into the big fivers, it becomes hard to find those large payloads.[/QUOTE

indeed, and the bigger it is, the more our love ones wants to take with them

Any way, you all know, happy wife, happy life
Old 06-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #13

We just put money down on an Arctic Fox for our upcoming full time adventure. They seemed to have good payload capacity (you'll have to do the math, GVW - Dry Weight). Our research said they make a quality product and will let you perform your own warranty work. Also, they seem to be built for 4 seasons.

That being said, we have never done this before, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I can say with confidence that you'll be much safer with a dually truck. All the big thee diesel trucks got good after 2011. If you like the GMC/Chevy, then get it.

--Good choice, we have been looking at the 29-5T(about 5k payload) but we have some issues with the floor plan and still looking, I like the 80 gals fresh water though. .
About 80% of the time the truck is going to be used without pulling anything, so, we need a "smooth ride after all" and looks like GM trucks has a reputation for having it above the other two brands, and still, first mods will be air bags and probably Sulastic Springs.

Hopefully you can share your experience with your Arctic Fox
Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

I would hold off on the airbags until you get your rig.You may not need them.New duallys take a lot of pin weight before they squat.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel