Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

I know you said that you didn't want a tank in the bed. I decided on a 90 gal tank with small tool box & pump in it's own compartment form Northern tool @ $ 1200.00 . Very happy with tool storage & fuel Cap. Just My 2 cents
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Just how far do you drive when towing?
And how many times do you do it?

I have a 36 gallon OEM tank......10 miles to gallon when towing
300 miles and I am done for the day.
Otherwise I just pull in ....fill up and take a long stretch/walk
And we FTd towing weekly
Lots of opinions on this subject. I am willing to bet that many get the extra tanks because they "think" they need one.

I fill up at around 250mi. That will get us 5 hours of being on the road at 60mph. If we travel any further no biggie. We usually stop for fuel twice a day. My wife loves shopping at the nicer truck stops while i fuel. Lots of times she will get us some Subway.

No way will I loose any of my 30" front to back bed height tool box.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #17

I had a TransferFlow underbed tank installed in my '03 GMC 2500HD. Owned the truck for 10 yrs and never had a problem. That truck had a 26 gal tank and the replacement tank was 45 gal. I hope to do the same thing with my 2013, not sure what brand I will get this time.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #18

Smile

The reason WHY I WENT for the 90 gal tank is for the cheaper fuel price when I find it & future trip to Alaska which has fuel stops far & few between .
Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
This one works GREAT for me!

Me as well. I have 2 of them....

Then put $1472.00 in the fun acount
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I had the 67 gal Titan in my 2013 F350 DRW. That gave me about a 400 - 450 mi range while towing an 18K toy hauler. I loved it until I sold the truck with only 64K mi. Somebody else is enjoying my upgrade now. I drive a F250 as a daily work truck now. It only has a 26 gal tank. I stop for fuel every two days. If I was towing with it, I would definitely have another Titan installed. If you get one, be sure to have the dealer re-program the fuel gauge.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Lots of opinions on this subject. I am willing to bet that many get the extra tanks because they "think" they need one.

I fill up at around 250mi. That will get us 5 hours of being on the road at 60mph. If we travel any further no biggie. We usually stop for fuel twice a day. My wife loves shopping at the nicer truck stops while i fuel. Lots of times she will get us some Subway.

No way will I loose any of my 30" front to back bed height tool box.
well, everyone has their opinion.....

We had to fill up at 220 miles or less with the stock tank. 8mpg average. I've seen 7 in the mountains. Especially out west the gas stations don't typically line up nicely - so no fuel stations at 220 miles, but there is one at 180? Guess your stopping at 180 miles. 500 mile trip? Your filling up at least twice. If your playing safe, the stations don't line up, or pulling in the hills, 3 times. If your first tank is short, it snowballs the entire trip. We had one scare in Utah where we made it to the gas station with 4 miles showing on the DTE, and I had one hopping mad lady in the truck. It was that or stop 50 miles earlier, which I didn't want to do. What I didn't know was the last 20 miles was all hills and long grades.

Especially if we are doing a long haul my bladder can easily handle 350/400 miles before stopping for lunch and fuel....and if we're doing a 1500 mile haul...we only stop when the truck needs fuel. Bring a snack. Fuel/Potty/Food stops absolutely kill your transit times.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion on it but its made a world of difference to us and was worth every penny. I would do again in a heart beat. Now we full time and tow weekly, so that is also a consideration - this is something we use all the time, it may not make sense for someone who pulls 2-3 times a year.

I still have the worthless 5 gallon Jerry can. PITA, always spilled fuel with it, and I constantly worried about water in the fuel. I haven't used it since I installed the Titan Tank, nor plan to.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnott View Post
Does anyone have experience with replacing your standard fuel tank with a 61 gallon. I don't want a something in my bed. Titan has a replacement tank, it's expensive but I really want the space in the bed for other things. It almost doubles my fuel.
I replaced my OEM tank with one from Titan 9 years ago. Went from 26 gallons to 52 and reused the original sending unit.

Great product and would do it again. My truck is still my truck now with 172,000 miles on the clock.

Tags
fuel, tank