RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Full Body Paint

Is full body paint worth the price? It's pretty expensive. If you opt not to do full body paint, what's the other option, decals? Can't they be replaced it they peel off?

RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #2

Yes, I believe the full body paint would be worth the added cost. Decals can be replaced, but those are not cheap to buy and install either. The other thing is that I have noticed is the gelcoats fade over time. The front cap on our fiver is fading and it is a lot of work to try and keep it looking nice now. This does not happen to paint as there is more UV protection.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Yes, they look better and newer for much longer. Mine has half body paint, no decals, and I wish it was full cause the gelcoat is a pain in the butt to maintain.
aknavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Ditto with aknavy...I've had both and my newest is full body paint. It was one of many factors in choosing this model. Wash it...wax it...it looks new forever just like automobiles. Only drawback is if you are in an accident and have to match the paint...it would be costly.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
Ditto with aknavy...I've had both and my newest is full body paint. It was one of many factors in choosing this model. Wash it...wax it...it looks new forever just like automobiles. Only drawback is if you are in an accident and have to match the paint...it would be costly.
Ugh...you have seen my automobiles? But this is good to know. Three in favor of and zero against, full body paint. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Full Body Paint implies that the entire RV body is painted. Is this the case? Also, what is it about the Gel Coat that makes it so difficult to maintain? Not all brands I'm interested in offer an option other than the Gel Coat.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #7

Yes, full body paint is full body paint. No stickers or decals. Gel coat is fine...it's what boats are made of over the fiberglass. It just becomes chalky if not regularly waxed and is known to require more maintenance. Great and strong product otherwise.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Full Body Paint implies that the entire RV body is painted. Is this the case? Also, what is it about the Gel Coat that makes it so difficult to maintain? Not all brands I'm interested in offer an option other than the Gel Coat.
Full body paint has been standard since 2000 (I think) on our coach brand, was an option before that.
Newell & Prevost was standard since the late '90's.
Cost to do a full coach and have it done right is $20,000 to $35,000+ .
(@ Extreme Paint & Graghic's, Nacodoces TX.)
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dont have full body paint and wish I did.. Maintenance is a PIA, I am actually thinking to have mine painted..
Old 04-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
'00 DSDP had decals and gel coat. One small section of one side decal was $2,000. Luckily it was inder warranty.
'02 DSDP we paid the extra $7,000 and got FBP.
Present CC came with FBP included in the base price. I'm not sure you could get it done for $30,000 now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #11

If you maintain the gelcoat it will look new for many years. you could probably spend less in buffing and wax to keep gelcoat looking new than the price of full paint.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #12

Another vote for full body paint, our last 5thwheel a Cedar Creek used to get waxed twice a year with a marine grade wax (seemed once I got done was time to start again ) the new River Stone Legacy is full body paint as said before just wash and I now use a spray wax much easier and quicker.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
EFull body paint has been standard since 2000 (I think)
(@ Extreme Paint & Graghic's, Nacodoces TX.)
Standard? I think the Vanleigh Vilano is considered a higher quality RV, but they don't even offer Full Body Paint as an option, let alone standard.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Standard? I think the Vanleigh Vilano is considered a higher quality RV, but they don't even offer Full Body Paint as an option, let alone standard.

Vanleigh offers the Beacon which is their top of the line model. A step above vilano. And the Beacon has beautiful full body paint.

firemailwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint