Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Full Time 5vr with Pets?

We are planning on a full-time future (both retired) and will be traveling with our rescue cats.

There is one main thing that is preventing us from considering a fifth wheel instead of a motorhome: Having all five cats in their carriers in the backseat of a truck and transporting them back and forth.

There is one main thing that is telling us to consider a fifth wheel instead of a motorhome: If the engine needs service, we can still stay in our "home." Finding a hotel that let's us bring along five cats would be problematic.

Any full-time 5vr owners who travel with pets? I would love to know about your experiences and opinions.

We don't plan on moving a lot but staying at each location for at least a month and fully explore the area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
7 cats and a bird

We travel with our 7 cats; each with their own carrier in back seat of our Crew Cab dually. 43' 5th wheel with 3 slides. We don't travel more than 8 hours a day to limit time in carriers. We cover them to keep them sleeping and calm. Bird travels in the trailer. While they don't really like carriers they do love the trailer.
Karpcbk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Kar,

Thanks for answering, Are you planning on moving to a motorhome? Would you recommend a fifth wheel with that many cats based on your experience?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

No cats, but we have always had dogs when we travel. Not sure I woild want of cats in the truck with me unless there used to traveling.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

My wife and I travel full-time in a 43' 5th wheel and a 1ton Ram Crew Cab Dually. Our family consists of a cat that rides between us on the center armrest while the 80lb Black Lab mix and her 150lb Bloodhound bother ride in the back seat. We folded the seat up and cut up the original foam mattress from the trailer to create a nice bed for the dogs.
jeffwill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

We have full timed for 5 years now in a fifth wheel. We started out with 2 older house cats and they didn't like riding in the truck, so we would leave them in the camper and they figured out their own thing. It seemed to work out good and when we stopped they would come out and want to be fed. Diabeties took both cats a couple of years ago, probably due to lack of exercise and age. We had our current rescue cat for 1-1/2 years now and she likes to ride in the truck and we even trained her to go outside on a leash. We do put her back in a cage whenever we stop and get out of the truck. I also use a kids fishing pole and play cat fishing with her a couple times a day to keep her active. We even recently took a 5 day cruise and the cat did fine with extra food/water/litter box set out. Cats are very adaptable to new situations, they will adjust.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I can ease the cats into the adjustment, but:

I just read about one family who moved from a 5th wheel to a motorhome. One reason was they "hated having to transport the animals back and forth." I don't know how often they moved, however.

Another couple moved from a 5th wheel to a motorhome primarily because of their pets. I just want to choose the right vehicle the first time.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

I would suggest getting the camper that's the best fit for you, typically MH for frequent moves or camper for month or longer stays. Also, are you OK with towing a fifth wheel? I would not make a big deal out of the cats they will adjust to most situations better than people think they will. If someone dosen't like to move the cats from the camper to the truck, than leave them in the camper, they will be just fine. Cat fishing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160928_171342.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	190444  
Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
5th Wheel or MH

I agree with Grindstone. We went with our 5th wheel because it fit us the best. Cats will like all the views no matter what purchased. We personally wouldn't travel with cats not secured in carriers. Some folks cats might be docile and sit in laps etc. Rather not chance them getting hurt or loose.
Karpcbk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #10

I had to give a super sweet cat to my cat loving friend. I tried hard to get this cat use to travel, tried Rescue Remedy then two different things from the Vet. This super sweet cat traveled 12,000 in 2 years and never got use to travel. Poor little kitty would get stressed and foam, slobber from her mouth as soon as she was put in a car or the truck. We tried the cage, on our laps, on her pillow etc.etc. Nothing we tried worked.

So just be aware, not all cats travel good. I have always had dogs that loved to travel but dogs do not last forever. Went a few years with no pets then this cat picks me as her owner. Oh well.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 AM   #11

I appreciate everyone's responses. My primary question is: if you fulltime in a fifth wheel with cats, do you think it would be easier in a motorhome?
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #12

Do you have room in your truck for 5 cats in crates? If you do then I really don't think it's going to be that difficult to move them between the truck and the 5th wheel. If you don't have the room for 5 cats in crates inside your truck, then you have your answer.
jeffwill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I had to give a super sweet cat to my cat loving friend. I tried hard to get this cat use to travel, tried Rescue Remedy then two different things from the Vet. This super sweet cat traveled 12,000 in 2 years and never got use to travel. Poor little kitty would get stressed and foam, slobber from her mouth as soon as she was put in a car or the truck. We tried the cage, on our laps, on her pillow etc.etc. Nothing we tried worked.

So just be aware, not all cats travel good. I have always had dogs that loved to travel but dogs do not last forever. Went a few years with no pets then this cat picks me as her owner. Oh well.

Our original 2 cats also had a difficult time in the truck and were very stressed out. Our solution was to leave them in the fifth wheel camper while traveling and they would just hide under the couch. Whenever we stopped, they would come out and beg for treats and didn't act stressed at all. Sometimes people insist that cats ride in the truck, but it's not always in the best interest of the cat, just let them ride in the camper that they are most familiar with and see how they react. The cats might be much happier and less stressed. Some animals equate a ride in a vehicle as going to the vets or a previous bad experience.
If you listen to your cat, they will tell you what they like and what they don't like, don't force it.
To answer the OP's question, I'm sure our cat would love to live in a million dollar Prevost MH that was loaded with mice, not going to happen.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #14

Our friends travel with their cats. They stay in the 5th wheel. Why would they have to ride in the truck?

Tags
full time