Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #29

You need to start looking at used units and not fixate on one particular brand or layout. Used RVs are not like used cars. You can eliminate the vase majority of units without even going inside. Look hard and find that cherry 10 year old camper that you can buy for a song. They are out there. Give the lifestyle a shot and see what you really want or need. If you buy right you can sell without a loss. We've been successful with this strategy over 20 times. Good luck!
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #30

We have ended up in our Vilano 365RL since July. Older, less active and hate going to laundrymat. Still have to for comforter since temps are colder but sheets, clothes get washed in our stacked Whirlpool W/D. The combo, all in one units don't work well and take to long.

Two former 5th wheels were 26 and 29 ft something inches. Both fine for long weekends and summer vacations to Florida theme parks, etc. for myself, wife, teen son. We didn't need all the extra weight and insulation of a 4 seasons camper. Both were Newmar products no longer made. Now we do and glad to have it with snow and temps in the upper teens. We cannot just say to heck with this and go to our sticks and bricks. It now has a roof but no sheetrock.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #31

Buying Grand Design used takes some inside knowledge. They had startup pains from dissolving furniture to dropping tanks that relied on the ledges of the I-beams of the frame to hold them up (does not work well in summer heat with a plastic bladder), as well as several frame redesigns. Particularly on the Reflection I would have the seller drop the chloroplast in the front and see if anything other than a fabric strap supports the holding tanks. If fabric only request metal added or pass on the unit.

The shame of it all is most of the info has been deleted from the GD owners forum. If you know what to look for and what to avoid they can be great units.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #32

After all the feedback from you guys, we have decided to go up to 36 feet.
Thank you guys
BulldogRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #33

my highly biased opinion about the Arctic Fox 27 – 5L

I've been a full timer for the last four years, I boondock about 95% of the time and I love it. I live in a Northwood Arctic Fox 27 – 5L that I bought new in 2013. I looked at others but in its size and price range I couldn't find another one built as well is the Arctic Fox. Yes their a little heavy, mine weighs about 10,500 pounds empty and about 13,000 going down the road with everything I own in it. But that extra weight does not come from fancy furnishings and pretty doodads it comes from a massive frame, good insulation, double pane windows, solid wood cabinets, and real plywood instead of particleboard.

The Arctic Fox 27 – 5L is designed as a four season live aboard fifth wheel, some trailers aren't but you won't find that out until you start having problems with condensation.

I outfitted the Arctic Fox with six 140 W solar panels and four lithium iron batteries that give me 400 amps to use. I don't own a generator and I've never needed one. Since I live in my Arctic Fox I do not "rough it"nor do I have the desire to do so. The only thing I can't use while boondocking is my air conditioner and my toaster oven. Other than that I live a perfectly normal life.

I pull my Arctic Fox with a GMC three-quarter ton four-wheel-drive short bed pickup. I spent my summers in Colorado often in the mountains and in the five years that I've been towing the Arctic Fox up and down the Rockies I've never had any problems with the truck or the Arctic Fox.

If you would like to know more about living full-time and boondocking in an Arctic Fox check out my blog theboondork.com and yes there is a lot of drivel in there about my life but if you search you'll find a lot about living with solar, boondocking and finding places to stay where it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Tom
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #34

I am late to the party but it looks like you have not bought yet. A good thing. Easy to get pressured into buying a mistake.

Looking back, at your budget you should be able to get a lightly used almost new good quality unit. Good on you for setting parameters. Did not think you would stay under 30' but 36' is getting into BIG territory. Stick to that freshwater tank minimum size. You will be glad you did. Less than 60gal does not go very far if you are dry camping at a festival or something.

We started trying to stay under 32'. Did not work out that way. Our Alpenlite is 34 by model #. Actually 35'10" pin to bumper. We set freshwater minimum at 80gal. That cut out a whole bunch from the herd instantly. We would consider nothing less than what was considered a better than average builder. Next in priority line was the large usable galley. The DW is a foodie so working space is a must especially on the multi month trips.

With parameters set, the hunt was on. We were down to 4 possible models in no time. 2 Alpenlites, a Mobile Suite 32 TK3 & a Carriage 33CK3. All have 100gal freshwater. All have either an island galley or a 'J' shaped galley.

Next came the online search. Did not matter where it was located for the right one. Took awhile but our lightly used 6 month old Alpenlite 34RLR was found more than 3000 miles & a full day/3 flights worth to go see & buy from a private seller. Bought the truck too.

He had bought a mistake & wanted out in the worst way. With no prior RV experience he had bought new a $80K 5er & a dually with near all of the options possible. 6 months in & they decided the RV lifestyle was not for them.

12 years & over 200,000 miles later we have not seen a 5er we like better. Research & waiting for what you want to come along pays off.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork View Post
I've been a full timer for the last four years, I boondock about 95% of the time and I love it. I live in a Northwood Arctic Fox 27 – 5L that I bought new in 2013. I looked at others but in its size and price range I couldn't find another one built as well is the Arctic Fox. Yes their a little heavy, mine weighs about 10,500 pounds empty and about 13,000 going down the road with everything I own in it. But that extra weight does not come from fancy furnishings and pretty doodads it comes from a massive frame, good insulation, double pane windows, solid wood cabinets, and real plywood instead of particleboard.

The Arctic Fox 27 – 5L is designed as a four season live aboard fifth wheel, some trailers aren't but you won't find that out until you start having problems with condensation.

I outfitted the Arctic Fox with six 140 W solar panels and four lithium iron batteries that give me 400 amps to use. I don't own a generator and I've never needed one. Since I live in my Arctic Fox I do not "rough it"nor do I have the desire to do so. The only thing I can't use while boondocking is my air conditioner and my toaster oven. Other than that I live a perfectly normal life.

I pull my Arctic Fox with a GMC three-quarter ton four-wheel-drive short bed pickup. I spent my summers in Colorado often in the mountains and in the five years that I've been towing the Arctic Fox up and down the Rockies I've never had any problems with the truck or the Arctic Fox.

If you would like to know more about living full-time and boondocking in an Arctic Fox check out my blog theboondork.com and yes there is a lot of drivel in there about my life but if you search you'll find a lot about living with solar, boondocking and finding places to stay where it's warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Tom
Arctic fox is a beast. It was on my short list. Good choice.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
I am late to the party but it looks like you have not bought yet. A good thing. Easy to get pressured into buying a mistake.

Looking back, at your budget you should be able to get a lightly used almost new good quality unit. Good on you for setting parameters. Did not think you would stay under 30' but 36' is getting into BIG territory. Stick to that freshwater tank minimum size. You will be glad you did. Less than 60gal does not go very far if you are dry camping at a festival or something.

We started trying to stay under 32'. Did not work out that way. Our Alpenlite is 34 by model #. Actually 35'10" pin to bumper. We set freshwater minimum at 80gal. That cut out a whole bunch from the herd instantly. We would consider nothing less than what was considered a better than average builder. Next in priority line was the large usable galley. The DW is a foodie so working space is a must especially on the multi month trips.

With parameters set, the hunt was on. We were down to 4 possible models in no time. 2 Alpenlites, a Mobile Suite 32 TK3 & a Carriage 33CK3. All have 100gal freshwater. All have either an island galley or a 'J' shaped galley.

Next came the online search. Did not matter where it was located for the right one. Took awhile but our lightly used 6 month old Alpenlite 34RLR was found more than 3000 miles & a full day/3 flights worth to go see & buy from a private seller. Bought the truck too.

He had bought a mistake & wanted out in the worst way. With no prior RV experience he had bought new a $80K 5er & a dually with near all of the options possible. 6 months in & they decided the RV lifestyle was not for them.

12 years & over 200,000 miles later we have not seen a 5er we like better. Research & waiting for what you want to come along pays off.
Thank you for your response.
We got nothing but time. I believe we will find something good.
Wife got me thinking about Toy haulers. She saw pictures of people using the ramp as a patio and fell in love with it. We are not planning on bringing any toys with us but if we find a nice toy hauler around 36ft we can decorate the garage as an extra room.
I am interested in Grand Design Momentum these days. They have one layout which is 36ft and I really like it.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Please do us a favor and occasionally post back how your searching is going. Too often posters come on, ask one question and disappear. The forum thrives on exchanging information.
Hear! Hear!
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogRoad View Post

I am interested in Grand Design Momentum these days. They have one layout which is 36ft and I really like it.
Now you're going to need that 1 Ton Truck and possibly a DRW.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
DW and I are in a similar position. House is on the market, just waiting for that buyer and as soon as it sells, off we go. We currently own an F26CIS 5th wheel by Glacier Peak(GP). It's a bit too small for full timing as we have found out on our extended trips, several months out at a time. We're also looking in the 35-37' range. If money and weight were not an option I'd go with a Luxe Gold 35GRS. That said, we're looking at the Arctic Fox(AF) 32-5M and Grand Design(GD) Solitude 310GK. We do like our GP but looking at their website, it doesn't appear that a 35' option is avail, thus the AF and Solitude. Still doing the research to get that "perfect" fit for our needs. Since it's only the two of us and a cat, we don't want to go over the limit of 37' max and still feel that may limit us bit from entering certain parks, campgrounds, etc. GD does promote their Solitude as being an extended stay/full time unit. I know some manufacturers will VOID that warranty if they know you are full-timing in it and that's what we want to avoid as well. FT unit must have washer/dryer hookups, even though we won't have those at the beginning. We're on the fence about a Residential Fridge vs. the RV fridge. Being this is typically the start of house buying season, we have high hopes that we'll be on the road in short order. The trusty GP F26CIS has held up well but is just too small for a FT'er, IMHO. We'll give it a go for a while in our F26CIS but will be looking to "upgrade" to another unit.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #40

We have a Vilano 365RL and while we were not planning on full time it is taking longer than anticipated to get our house built. We have been in it full time since July 2018. It is considered to be 4 seasons, though probably not to the extent of Artic Fox. We have had two successive nights in the low teens F with no issues.

We did get a stacked washer/dryer that is a necessity. The dryer is 110 but adequate. We can do everthing but comforters in it. We have three and when needed go to a laundry.

Our dog is a minature schnauzer that doesn't shed. Some campgrounds are picky about animal hair, whether cat or dog in their W/D.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, reflection